Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

04-21-2021

Bulgaria

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 3

CD/DVD and Second Hard Drive are Constantly Turning Off

2021-04-21, 19:55 PM

Let me try to explain it from the beginning.

I bought a W530 laptop and installed a fresh Windows 10 (v2004) copy on it with all the drivers for the model from the official website. Immediately after the Windows install i noticed something strange (when the original cd/dvd was still in). It looked like this:

When i clicked on in i got an error message about a missing DLL file. I read some articles that this has something to do with the power management of the device and also the official power management by Lenovo. I checked the settings and they all looked fine. After that, i have downloaded the missing pwmtr32v.dll file and put it inside my C:\Windows\System32\Lenovo\PowerMgr folder, and restarted the PC. After the restart, the CD/DVD was still showing as turned off but this time with an icon like this:

I followed this helpful video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVfFyW4l__4

The CD/DVD behavior changed and this time when I clicked on it turns on for a minute or so and then turns off again and disappears. To get it back i had to physically press the eject button of the CD/DVD. I was wondering how can I set my CD not to turn off.  Then I dig deeper into Lenovo Power Management and I found that it was not officially supported for Windows 10. I couldn't get it to run on the laptop at all. Even with this:

https://support.lenovo.com/bg/en/downloads/ds541411-lenovo-settings-power-manager-for-windows-10-version-1703-or-later-thinkpad

But i found this article which says that the settings for the Lenovo Power Manager can be edited directly from the Windows registry:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile-Workstations/Optical-drive-ultrabay-power-off-solutions-Windows-10-and-earlier/m-p/3955089?page=1#4581641

So i went on this way:

I have set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\Data\AutomaticOddDisable to 0 
And then set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\Data\OddDisableDuration to 0 

And restarted the PC. I was hoping that this will fix the issue but no. The CD/DVD was still showing as turned off and when i click on it it turns on for a minute and then turns off again. 

I couldn't do anything with it and I left it as is.

Two weeks after that I bought a second hard drive and a caddy and changed the CD/DVD with it. I was hoping that this behavior will stop and the hard drive will work as expected but no - it was behaving the same way. The Windows power settings and profile were fine but when the laptop turns on the second hard drive is spinning as expected but after a minute it stops (without disappearing from My Computer). When i access a file or something the disk starts again and it runs fine until i stop accessing files from it. When i finish my work the hard drive stops again after one minute. This behavior drives me nuts.

Desperate for a solution I found this article which says that after a certain update Windows introduces a feature called ZPODD which did the same thing  - to turn off the drive if not in use. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/operating-system-now-controls-power-to-optical-disk-drives?redirectedfrom=MSDN

I have followed the recommendation on this article and set the registry value of:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\cdrom\Parameters\ZeroPowerODDEnabled to 0 

And restarted the Laptop and guess what  -  nothing changed.

No matter what I'm doing the laptop simply cuts the power from the CD/DVD or the Hard drive that is plugged in. Also, I checked the selective suspending setting on USBs and I turned it off. Finally, I have turned off the "Allow device to save power" for the USB devices. Nothing  -  really nothing helped. :( :( :(

The question is:
How can I stop this from happening? I expect the drive to behave normally. By normally mean that the drive should turn off by itself only after the time set in the Windows power options.

Options

2124 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

145 Signins

10745 Page Views

• Views: 10745
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:CD/DVD and Second Hard Drive are Constantly Turning Off

2021-04-21, 20:34 PM

Hello KrumecaHG,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

It'a hardware-software limitation since this feature is no longer supported in Windows 10.

Let's wait for the comments of fellow users who might have a better working solution for this

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

4083 Posts

12-02-2007

United States of America

9111 Signins

194978 Page Views

• Views: 194978
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:CD/DVD and Second Hard Drive are Constantly Turning Off

2021-04-26, 6:26 AM

Hello,

If you go into the Device Manager (filename: DEVMGMT.MSC) in Windows, go to the entry for the drive, is there a Power Management tab or option that allows the computer to turn off the device to safe power?  If so, try disabling that option so it is always powered by the computer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)