Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

59 Posts

05-31-2008

Massachusetts, USA

246 Signins

798 Page Views

• Views: 798
  • Message 1 of 6

Spasming brightness level

2011-04-20, 18:22 PM

Every now and then, this thing happens on my W701ds, where I open the lid (I have it set so that it does nothing on closing the lid...so it's not coming out of sleep or anything) and the screen brightness level starts twitching back and forth between two settings (like between 10 and 11). The only way to get it to stop, is to hold down one of the brightness Fn keys to push the level all the way to the min or max.

Has anyone else seen this? I searched and couldn't find anything, but maybe it's been described differently. It's fairly spectacular, so I have to imagine someone else has posted about it.

I'm not even sure what to target as being responsible for this. It does seem like it normally adjusts its brightness to the abient light level, I assume using the same sensor as for color calibration. Is it HueyPro that does this or some other system component?

This may be unrelated, but occasionally when I open the lid it comes up with an odd colored cast to it for a second or so, as if it is adjusting the colors, though I didn't think that was supposed to be happening automatically.

If anyone can give me any clues about how this stuff works / is supposed to work, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Eric

Options

78 Posts

02-03-2010

New York City

1057 Signins

2001 Page Views

• Views: 2001
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Spasming brightness level

2011-04-22, 2:03 AM

Yes, I have had the same problem (it occurs if I turn the brightness up quickly, rather than clicking it up one level at a time), and I have no idea what causes it.

Options

288 Posts

04-20-2010

Ottawa

2936 Signins

4886 Page Views

• Views: 4886
  • Message 3 of 6

2011-04-23, 13:59 PM
Ditto on my w510. My belief is that there's a bug in the BIOS when changing brightness levels during the the initial part of boot cycle (i.e. before the Windows logo appears). In addition to the post-pardum spasaming as the OP describes, I've also noticed it introduces some unbearable pauses in the boot time as well.
Options

78 Posts

02-03-2010

New York City

1057 Signins

2001 Page Views

• Views: 2001
  • Message 4 of 6

2011-04-23, 14:02 PM

Just to clarify: Mine is a W700DS, so clearly this problem has been around for a while.

Options

59 Posts

05-31-2008

Massachusetts, USA

246 Signins

798 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2011-04-23, 19:52 PM

Regarding the bios theory: I'm not booting when this happens, All I'm doing is opening the lid of my already running machine, causing the screen to turn back on, I'm not even logging in again.

Options

59 Posts

05-31-2008

Massachusetts, USA

246 Signins

798 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2011-04-27, 18:02 PM

This also happens without lifting the lid...if the monitor gets shutoff to save power if I have not touched it in a little while, it sometimes goes into spasm mode when I move the mouse and it turns the monitor back on. Which brings me to theorize a cause:

I suspect that the power manager which adjust the brightness level according to your power scheme (such as to turn the monitor on or off or adjust brightness differently for powered vs battery) ends up "fighting" with the component (HueyPro, I believe) that is changing the brightness level for room light compensation. I think it happens when the room light level has changed between when powermanager turned off the monitor, and when it turned it back on.

If so, its not clear which of these components is at fault or if it is something at a deeper system level that should be coordinating between them.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms