01-23-2018

KR

24 Signins

194 Page Views

• Views: 194
  • Message 11 of 16

Re: Swapped the HDD with an SSD in my new thinkpad P51 but W10 wouldn't boot

2018-01-23, 9:06 AM

I have the same problem. I replaced the HDD by an SSD and after that, W10 won't boot. Why in the name is Windows installed on the HDD instead of the SSD to start with?

Furthermore, I mounted the HDD I removed as a USB drive on another laptop, and it shows up as empty.

Options

2 Posts

02-06-2018

US

4 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 12 of 16

2018-02-06, 21:56 PM

Hello DSperber, thank you for your thoguhtful and well-laid out explanations. I actually just bought a new P51 as well that came with an HDD. Now i have installed an M.2 SSD and would also like to boot from the M.2 drive. My initial question has already been answered, which is whether the free version of Macrium Reflect will be sufficient to clone the HDD to the SSD, and it appears it's sufficient for the task, right? Second, do i need to use the Minitool Partition Wizard Free tool to delete the Windows OS from the HDD after the cloning is complete or is that also taken care of in the process by the Macrium Reflect tool? And finally, I have to ask this third question, which is, will i need to do any tweaking in the BIOS after the cloning or will the Macrium Reflect tool also take care of everything needed to be done, like i get the impression you were suggesting in your earlier post? This last part is because I'm not an expert in doing this kinds of things but would like to try myself, without causing any unintended damage. Thank you in advance for your response.

Options

2507 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10970 Signins

59026 Page Views

• Views: 59026
  • Message 13 of 16

2018-02-06, 22:28 PM

(1) Yes, the free version of MR can handle the job of cloning from HDD to SSD.  It can also be used to automatically run regularly scheduled "system image" backups (typically to an external USB 3.0 drive) which is what I recommend you establish simply as part of good protective system hygiene.

The non-free version can also do folder/file "data" backups, whereas the free version cannot.  Myself, I use NovaBackup as my "data" backup software, because I much prefer its GUI and functionality to that of MR for this activiy.

(2) Once the cloning process is completed and you've changed the BIOS to boot from the NVMe drive and confirmed that all is well, you will want to re-purpose the HDD for one or more "data" partitions.  So using Minitool Partition Wizard Free is the easiest way to get this done.  It has a super-intuitive GUI and enormous functional capability, but all you're wanting to do here is to (a) delete all existing partitions, and (b) create one or more new partitions in the now totally available unallocated space on the drive.

Also, if you are using a Samsung M.2 SSD, and you are making use of the Samsung Magician software, it supports "over-provisioning" which involves leaving just about 10% of your SSD unallocated to any partition, but simply available to Samsung Magician for its own magical use in providing improved hardware performance and expected drive lifetime.  If you resized the target partitions during the MR cloning so that you left that 10% of your M.2 drive unallocated at inception and then you ran Samsung Magician to activate the over-provisioning functionality, then you are done.  But if you didn't do that, you might use Partition Wizard now to shrink the active partition utilization on the SSD (leaving the unallocated space at the "right-end" of the drive).  Actually, I think Samsung Magician can do this as well, but I have more confidence in Partition Wizard to do anything with partition re-sizing.  Then you'd still need to activate over-provisioning with Samsung Magtician.

(3) As far as OS Optimization, or making tweaks to the BIOS or Windows to optimize performance for operation from an SSD instead of an HDD, MR doesn't do anything.  You had to previously already get into the BIOS to change the boot sequence device list to boot from SSD, so I wouldn't consider that a "tweak".  But if there's anything else in the BIOS I don't know what you are thinking might be appropriate.

Now it is certainly true that there are some things which SHOULD be changed in Windows when running on an SSD (e.g. disable weekly defrag scheduled service, etc).  These things would have been inhibited automatically if you'd installed Windows from scratch to the SSD, but when you clone from a HDD-based Windows to an SSD, the recommended adjustments to Windows settings must be done by you.

I'd suggest you do some searching on the Internet for recommendations for SSD-based tweaks.  You'll find a variety of different opinions on some topics, and universal consensus on other topics.  Also, you'll find some older posts of recommended tweaks having some opposite courses of actions than newer compendiums, which of course just causes more confusion if you were really looking for advice.  I do not have a list for you, I'm afraid.  Previous versions of Samsung Magician did have this feature available for you to optionally review the assorted choices and check each one or not, but they removed it in the newest version (perhaps there really is an ongoing difference of opinion). So it's really completely up to you to take these actions or not (at least when there's no clear consensus).

Options

2 Posts

02-06-2018

US

4 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 14 of 16

2018-02-06, 22:55 PM

Thank you for your quick response DSperber. I appreciate it. As far as my question regarding the BIOS tweak, I should have been more specific. What i meant to ask is if i needed to manually specify the new boot drive after the cloning? And thank you for the information on the Samsung Magician Software. I'll give this whole process a try later this evening and let you know how it all went. Thanks again.

Options

2507 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10970 Signins

59026 Page Views

• Views: 59026
  • Message 15 of 16

2018-02-06, 23:02 PM

Yes, you need to change the boot sequence device list in the BIOS yourself once the cloning is finished, in order to eliminate the old HDD (which at this moment still has all of its original paritions, including Boot Manager, etc., so that it could still technically be booted from).  You want NVMe0 (which will now appear in the available devices list, probably at the bottom) to be elevated up to the near-top of the list, below USB flash drives.

I personally "exclude" any device that I have no interest in ever booting from, so I have USB FDD and USB HDD first, my ATAPI optical CD/DVD drive second, and then NVMe0 third, because that's all I would ever boot from on my P70.

Options

15 Posts

01-23-2018

KR

24 Signins

194 Page Views

• Views: 194
  • Message 16 of 16

2018-03-20, 2:44 AM
Update: seems that the OS was installed on the M.2 after all... my bad. My problem was caused by my other SSD which contained a Windows 7 boot partition... Removing that partition made the Windows 10 boot work again...
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete