Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

602 Posts

02-24-2014

Afghanistan

623 Signins

9043 Page Views

• Views: 9043
  • Message 41 of 41

Re:The W540 and its atrocious TouchPad

2020-11-13, 6:33 AM

Nov 11, 2020... I was on a trip away from the studio, and once again I needed to use the trackpad.... I converted at great time and expense to a 3 button pad like the W541. Once again Lenovo disabled my proper trackpad.

From the very day I purchased this POS, the pad turned this so called workstation into a brick (along with wasted keys above the NumPad, missing key lights, NO HD activity light, awful SD card slot, no color keyed USB 3 ports, et al).

Lenovo should have offered an upgrade to a proper WORKSTATION at cost or offer to upgrade the track pad at minimal charge!  They still would have made a profit, and kept customers..... So here's the beef - To add 3 button functionality we did:

To add (3button.reg with tested driver 19.0.12.61 = https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds103454 gggr05ww.exe) to the W540 & Eathtek conversion:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\SynTP\Parameters]

"ExtraCapabilities7Add"=dword:00010000

"ExtraCapabilities7Mask"=dword:ffffffff

AND they deleted the link to the fix:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Replace-W540-Keyboard-with-W541-Trackpoint-Buttons/td-p/1826433/page/13  

NEVER EVER AGAIN ...... now I need to waste several hours trying to find out if they updated the trackpad driver in one of their updates.... and search for the proper driver.

ANY hints on a fix before I waste more time.....

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms