04-09-2018

United States of America

5 Signins

53 Page Views

• Views: 53
  • Message 1 of 8

ThinkPad P71 Graphics Card Issue

2018-04-09, 15:37 PM

I bought a P71 three weeks ago and the graphics card issue lasted for three weeks too. I have installed a new OS (Windows 10 Home, same as the pre-load version) once I received my laptop to a SSD. Then I updated all the driver shown in Lenovo support center. The problem is  in my graphics card, NVIDIA Quadro P3000. I cannot use many software, including photoshop, premier, and several games. For example, Photoshop will just freeze at welcome screen. If I choose to run with the integrated graphics card, I somehow can launch the photoshop but cannot use it properly for a few seconds before it crashes.  For many other games, like Ages of Empire 3, it will pop up a window saying "Direct 3D initialization failed, possible causes: hardware acceleration disabled, starting the application with the workstation locked' . For Crusader Kings II, it will pop up a window saying "failed to create a graphics device". In chrome, the screen will flicker when scrolling if I turn on 'use hardware acceleration when applicable'. I don't believe this is because the system doesn't meet the minimal requirement, rather I doubt it would be some incompatibility between the system and drivers.

I have made sure every software/drivers are the latest version and run the Lenovo diagnose, which shows all passed except 3D!Now test with a 'not applicable'.  So I am wondering where I can find the original pre-load system mirror, which is a Windows 10 Home, although I have downloaded the same one on Microsoft.com, which seems to cause incompatibility.

Besides that, I find the driver shows in Lenovo support is actually outdated. I have tried to download drivers in NVIDIA and Intel to manually install them but the problem still exists.

Options

11616 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

39925 Signins

419529 Page Views

• Views: 419529
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: ThinkPad P71 Graphics Card Issue

2018-04-10, 0:17 AM

Don't install drivers from nvidia.  Install Lenovo Vantage and let that install drivers

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

2571 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11110 Signins

59971 Page Views

• Views: 59971
  • Message 3 of 8

2018-04-10, 5:54 AM

Sounds like your BIOS setting is for "hybrid graphics", which uses a combination of both Intel and nVidia drivers, to support the combination of built-in Intel HD Graphics GPU being used almost all the time for the laptop screen except when extra heavy GPU horsepower is needed at which time the nVidia P3000 kicks into action.  This also supposedly happens automatically for certain predefined software programs.  In theory you can also use nVidia Control Panel to "force" the use of the nVidia GPU for certain other programs and situations, although my success really making that happen doesn't really work as I would expect.  Nevertheless, any type of "hybrid graphics" arrangement still is probably not what it sounds like your graphics needs really require.  You want and deserve to be using your P3000 as much as possible.

Try this, and see if it solves your problem: go into the BIOS and change Config -> Display -> discrete graphics.

This totally disables the built-in Intel HD Graphics GPU and reverts to using the nVidia P3000 GPU 100% of the time.  Hey, you paid lots of money for that graphics upgrade and its high performance, so why shouldn't you get to use it 100% of the time?  Just force it this way and I'm sure you will be happy.  Perhaps night and day difference, is my prediction.

The only downside to going with the nVidia GPU 100% is that it uses more power than the Intel GPU does.  So if you run on battery, you will drain it down faster using "discrete graphics".  That is the only downside.

Otherwise, if you run mostly plugged into wall power anyway, then there is absolutely NO reason to use "hybrid" graphics, whose only reason for existing is to use less power and provide greater laptop lifetime when running portable on battery.  If you're plugged in all the time, you absolutely SHOULD only be using 100% the nVidia P3000 GPU that you paid for.

Please report back if this fixes things.  Note that there are assorted opinions on whether or not to use the Lenovo-provided (but back-level) nVidia driver included in the Intel/nVidia graphics driver download, or whether there is any harm or risk to instead using the retail latest driver from nVidia's download site.  Up to you.

But for me, I use the real nVidia driver.  I have been using "discrete graphics" in BIOS starting with my first Thinkpad W530 purchased in 2013 with nVidia K1000m GPU, and more recently with my Thinkpad P70 purchased in 2016 with nVidia M3000M GPU.  And for both of these laptops I have always disregarded the Lenovo-provided graphics driver installer with its back-level nVidia component, and instead always opted to keep up with the latest nVidia retail driver from their site.  Never ever had any resulting problem in five years.

Up to you.  But for sure, go with "discrete graphics" in the BIOS.

Options

2571 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11110 Signins

59971 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2018-04-10, 6:07 AM

Although it's not directly related to your post here, you should read this other thread regarding a P71 and "blurry fonts" as well as graphics performance issues.  I posted my suggestion to go to "discrete graphics" in the BIOS in that thread as well, and the OP reported huge improvements in graphics performance... from his P5000 (which is VERY expensive)!

The "blurry fonts" issue and solution is a different topic, but I simply want to use this recent other discussion as further motivation to be sure you're using "discrete graphics" if (a) you really do want to get your money's worth from your nVidia GPU upgrade, and (b) running portable on battery for extended periods is not something you can't deal with simply by plugging into wall power more often.

Options

6 Posts

04-09-2018

United States of America

5 Signins

53 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2018-04-10, 13:05 PM

Many thanks for your detailed Reply! I actually did change the discrete graphics card before but encountered an even worst situation. Every software I opened was extremely slow. For example, I can launch photoshop in this case, but in the 'preference'->performance'->graphics processor setting', everything is grey out, which should be showing the GPU info. I guess photoshop just used the CPU to run and cannot even detect a GPU existence.

But yesterday in the afternoon, I tried to install another OS, windows 10 pro for workstation. It seems that everything goes back to normal then. I can use my graphics card P3000 to launch the Photoshop and other games which reported errors.

This time, I just let Lenovo Vintage install the driver automatically. Seems works now.

Options

2571 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11110 Signins

59971 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2018-04-10, 20:05 PM

I can't explain why your Photoshop performance -> graphics processor settings were grayed out, other than to speculate that you actually were NOT truly set to "discrete graphics".  You can tell for sure, of course, by looking in Device Manager to ensure that all you see in Display Adapters is your nVidia P3000.  But if that's the case then you absolutely SHOULD have genuine access to Photoshop's performance settings for that graphics adapter.

For example, on my P70 (with nVidia M3000M graphics) which absolutely is set to "discrete graphics", here is what Device Manager shows.

And here is what Photoshop CS6 shows in Preferences -> Performance -> graphics, and as we both would expect the proper GPU name is identified (matching Device Manager) and the advanced performance options settings values are not grayed out.

Options

9 Posts

11-21-2016

United States of America

15 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 7 of 8

2018-07-31, 3:17 AM

I second the vote. I have always followed the same strategy: purchase the strongest discrete graphics card and use it exclusively. I also use the NVIDIA drivers (downloaded from NVIDIA) and also have not experienced instability in doing so.

Options

6 Posts

04-09-2018

United States of America

5 Signins

53 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2019-03-22, 17:27 PM

One year has passed, just for someone who in the future see this post. I will update with my final solution.

1. The problem that causes this issue is Duet Display. This is a known bug with Windows10+NVIDIA GPU. There are many reports on reddit and twitter. e.g. https://twitter.com/duetdisplay/status/869795392266874880?lang=en    I also contact their customer support who confirmed this issue with me. This is a bug existing almost one year ago. I don't know whether they resolve it or not now, though they said "the bug will be resolved soon" one year ago. 

This is how I located and confirmed this app. I first tried to install a clean version of Windows 10 and install all the software which does not work properly before except Duet. Everything just works perfectly. Then I create a system restore point and install Duet Display, it will spoil nVidia GPU driver and make all the previous softwares unusable. The system now can only detect the integrated graphics card embedded in intel CPU. Then I restore to the previous point. Duet is removed and everything works fine again.

2. Lenovo vantage is very handy. Since then, I never search and download the driver on the Lenovo official site and nVidia official site. In addition, I find that the driver downloaded from nvidia driver site can sometimes be incompatible. So I just let lenovo vantage update everything for me. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms