Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

511 Posts

12-24-2011

United Arab Emirates

779 Signins

5624 Page Views

• Views: 5624
  • Message 31 of 34

Re:ThinkPad Xeon P70 128GB RAM

2020-11-01, 19:40 PM

According to CompuRAM the XEON P50/P51 supports 128GB while the CORE i7 supports 64GB. 

I have only Core P50 and XEON P51. You can try their RAMinator tool to advice on your particular model.

In case of XEON P50/P51/70//1 I think we should try one more time, I don't think support would be limited by a specific memory vendor,  the 64GB limit could be imposed by Lenovo BIOS and not the CPU.

Options

6 Posts

10-31-2020

Malaysia

10 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 32 of 34

2020-11-03, 9:54 AM

Seems like there's an answer. In other forum it has been confirmed that CompuRAM sticks are confirmed as working on Lenovo P50, P51, P70. 

The assumption is that CompuRAM is building (or using rebranded RAM) that matches the specific requirements by the CPU/Motherboard.  So they are able to get the max 128GB, which is the maximum capacity possible given today's technology: 4 slots x 32GB RAM sticks. There's no bigger SoDIMM RAM sticks at the moment.

In this case it seems like they're the only ones in the market providing high density single RAM sticks (1x32GB) at 2133MHz. 

Everyone else who has tried any other RAM has been unable to get it working (which is not a lot of people anyway). And in some cases people have reported they were only able to install 1x32GB RAM stick and get it working on a Lenovo P70 but not two, so it could be a power issue... I thought 1.2v is 1.2v regardless of the density, but I am no expert on this.

Maybe someone here with these high density RAM sticks could perhaps try undervolting it until it hits 2133 MHz, however how to undervolt RAM if  you cannot even boot up with it installed?

As for the maximum RAM specificied by Intel and Lenovo is probably more of a certification thing, these large density modules didn't exist when they were manufactured. But there's cases of both a Xeon E3-1505m and an Intel i7-6820HQ Lenovo's working with 128GB RAM on the aforementioned models.

Some additional info which might be relevant.

From Intel website the chipsets on these models only support.

DDR4 Memory Down: Single rank x8, x16 (based on SKU)

DDR4 SODIMM/UDIMM Modules:

— Standard 4-Gb and 8-Gb technologies and addressing are supported for x8 and

x16 devices

Also the RAM module configurations and timing:

Options

12337 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40515 Signins

427554 Page Views

• Views: 427554
  • Message 33 of 34

2020-11-03, 15:06 PM

It is not a BIOS limitation.  There is no BIOS fix.  As I stated earlier, Intel chipsets simply do not work with or recognize 32GB DIMMs until the 8th generation came out.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

6 Posts

10-31-2020

Malaysia

10 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 34 of 34

2020-11-12, 12:14 PM

For those still wondering I found another P50 user with 128GB RAM around my area, it does work. He lend me 2x32GB RAM modules (NON-ECC) and I tested it along with the 2x8GB RAM (ECC) modules my laptop came with for a total of 80GB of RAM. 

It worked well, I didn't check the RAM specifications but it was complete usable and recognize by Windows 10 1H.

At the end I got 64GB NON-ECC RAM due to cost and I didn't really have the need for 128GB. 

That also brings to light the other issue which everyone in this forum keeps saying: "you cannot mix ECC and Non-ECC RAM".

You can mix it in this particular model, seems like as long as it's unbuffered RAM it doesn't care about the ECC or NON-ECC, it will work fine but in NON-ECC mode when you mix them.

I did triple check in the BIOS, it said something like 16GB (with ECC), on cmd it reported single-bit error correction, and the RAM sticks had 9 chips on each side. Just for the sake of curiosity I tested it with the RAM lend to me, and also with the RAM I bought. 

As mentioned before this is not officially supported neither by Lenovo nor Intel, and as per other people have reported it seems like it gets picky with RAM modules above the official max density.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)