DE

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad P1 Gen2 Wifi slow

2020-08-26, 5:51 AM

Hello,

when using a Wifi-USB-Stick I have 40 Mbit upload bandwith. With normal/standard/internal Wifi adapter it is only and max. 10 Mbit. 

Download bandwith is same with both adapters. 

I updated all drivers many times.

Thanks and regards.

Options

1020 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

123 Signins

5676 Page Views

• Views: 5676
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Thinkpad P1 Gen2 Wifi slow

2020-08-26, 11:05 AM

@ Waltavista wrote:

Hello,

when using a Wifi-USB-Stick I have 40 Mbit upload bandwith. With normal/standard/internal Wifi adapter it is only and max. 10 Mbit. 

Download bandwith is same with both adapters. 

I updated all drivers many times.

Thanks and regards.

Hi Waltavista,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

A USB WiFi adapter overrides the computer's built-in wireless functionality, giving you a faster, more reliable connection to your available network signals through the USB port instead.

However, seeing as the WLAN adapter in the P1 Gen 2 has the latest IEEE Standard of :  802.11ax

You should definitely be able to see more then 10Mbit. My guess is that it's limited on the Mhz front.

Try the steps below: 

Some wireless network cards allow you to limit the channel width via the Advanced properties in Device Manager, so you might want to try and see if it is set to 20Mhz, whereas you should be having it maxed out.

- Right-click Start and select Device Manager

- Left-click to expand the Network Adapters section

- Right-click on your Wireless Adapter and select Properties

- Select the Advanced Tab and look for a Channel Width setting: 

• 20 - Up to 1147mbit (10mb/s)
  • 40 - Up to 2294mbit
  • 80 - Up to 4804mbit
  • 80+80 - Up to 9608mbit

Note, that you might not have all the different Channel Width Settings, but I do believe you should have more then just 20Mhz.

Also check the Band Frequency.

In Device Manager, right click your WLAN device. Select properties and then "Advanced"

Check if the Band Frequency is purely set to 2.4ghz. If so, try setting it to 5ghz of even the new 6ghz. (This should be default to Auto, unless the frequencies are separated)

**Note: The Band Frequency and the Channel Width might be combined on your card or they might be separated. The settings vary from card to card. So you'll just have to do a good look through it.

Most often than not, the Band Frequency should be set to Auto, but forcing it sometimes to use a higher frequency can do wonders.

Some general Info about Band Frequency:

• 2.4GHz (slower, but longer range) , the 2.4ghz band is also a very crowded bandwidth, used by everything from garage openers to microwaves and lots of other stuff.
  • 5GHz (faster, but shorter range). is less crowded, depending on where you live, but because of the higher frequency is not able to penetrate walls as easy as the 2.4ghz.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

2 Posts

08-26-2020

DE

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Thinkpad P1 Gen2 Wifi slow

2020-08-26, 13:58 PM

Hello,

thank you very much. I Check it and I onyl have 20 Mhz available. See attached file.

Thanks and regards.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete