Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

116 Posts

07-24-2008

United States of America

149 Signins

902 Page Views

• Views: 902
  • Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad P50 overheats and shuts down when connected to external monitor for a couple of hours

2021-06-30, 4:09 AM

Hi I am using Thinkpad P50 Xeon 4 core CPU @ 2.8 GHz, 64 GB RAM and an NVIDIA Quadro M2000M graphics processor in addition to the Intel HD graphics P530.

As soon as I connect it to my external monitor and run anything intense (chrome with about 10 or 15 tabs) and my trading software, it overheats soon and shuts down.  It doesn't happen if I am just running the laptop usually, but I haven't checked it very rigorously to be honest.

I don't know what I can do here.  As you can see above, the CPU is pretty powerful and there is enough RAM.  Short of opening the laptop and cleaning the internal parts for dust, is there anything else I can do here?  Please help.

Options

511 Posts

12-24-2011

United Arab Emirates

781 Signins

5639 Page Views

• Views: 5639
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Thinkpad P50 overheats and shuts down when connected to external monitor for a couple of hours

2021-06-30, 7:02 AM

I think based on your symptoms you would need to repaste the CPU and GPU while cleaning the heatsink.

Check here for apx guidance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr2Uz3wHv30

Options

3 Posts

06-27-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

30 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 30
  • Message 3 of 6

Re:Thinkpad P50 overheats and shuts down when connected to external monitor for a couple of hours

2021-06-30, 10:01 AM

I had the same problem... I had the P50 since new and had the motherboard replaced twice under warranty due to overheating, which did not get the temperatures down that much but helped for a little while each time. I have the same specs by the way, 4 core xeon, 64GB RAM, M2000M, and have 2 nvme drives and a sata spinning disk.

I decided to repaste myself as the laptop would overheat if doing anything vaguely intensive (temps get to 100 C and it shuts down). I couldn't use the GPU at all. If the weather was warm it was much worse.

I bought Phobya NanoGrease Extreme, as it is supposed to be the best for machines where the heatsink may not be fitting exactly right (which some people have reported on the P50).

Immediately it was like I have a different machine. Idle temperatures are about 35 C. Under very heavy load, e.g. running the latest deus ex game, it gets to 60 C and sits there running silky smooth without getting any hotter.

I also cut off a small rectangle of the plastic tape stuff, shown here circled in red, as it seems wrong to me that these voltage regulators have a thermal pad that they cannot touch because there is tape in the way: https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/8ursau/noticed_something_weird_on_the_mbo_while/

I left the original thermal pads in place, just cleaned the old paste off with isopropyl alcohol and applied new paste.

In summary I highly recommend for any P50 owner to repaste, the impact is unbelievable.

Options

116 Posts

07-24-2008

United States of America

149 Signins

902 Page Views

• Views: 902
  • Message 4 of 6

2021-07-01, 23:32 PM

Thank you all so much for your helpful response.  I have found an interim solution that is surprisingly working well.  And tomorrow I am going to be repasting with the help of someone.  Regarding the interim solution, it is an obvious one - I got cooling fan pad to sit below the laptop.  Amazingly, the laptop is now running for much longer and not shutting down.  The temps have come down by 7 to 10 C which is quite an improvement I think.  I will let you know how repasting goes.

One quick question - I have a P1 Gen 2 as well.  Since I will be taking a trek to get my P50 repasted, I am thinking of just doing the deed on P1 Gen2 as well at the same time.  All these thinkpads could use repasting the more I read and research.  Do you think it would be worth it?

Options

3 Posts

06-27-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

30 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 30
  • Message 5 of 6

2021-07-02, 0:45 AM

I am not sure but it can only help, and the paste you are putting on is bound to be better than the factory paste. From my experience of the P50 I am not sure that my machine was ever done right, I've had three motherboards from the factory and the temperatures have never been close to what they are now.

Some people swear by repasting every x years because paste dries out over time. I don't know if I'd go that far but if I was getting the P50 done I'd probably get the P1 done too, and if your temps are up then it's definitely worth it.

Options

511 Posts

12-24-2011

United Arab Emirates

781 Signins

5639 Page Views

• Views: 5639
  • Message 6 of 6

2021-07-03, 13:44 PM

The repaste on the P1 is much easier than P50 as the heatsink is directly accessble after you remove the bottom panel.

If you will spend 1 hr on P50 repaste, "only" 10-15 minutes required for P1 and is highly advisable.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms