CA

9 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad P51 Memory/ RAM upgrade issues. Please help

2020-09-01, 23:50 PM

Hello Everybody,

I bought this new P51 directly from Lenovo in Dec/2017. It came with 8GB ram. Recently I thought of upgrading, so I read all the useful threads here, watched YT videos on how to open and replace etc. and then bought 2x16GB Crucial brand rams. 

I opened up everything as seen on videos, removed keyboard, removed the 8GB ram and installed 2x16 rams in there. So here I have two questions:

(1) Under the keyboard there is a metal cover plate that is held in place with a single screw. You unscrew that remove the plate and there you install the two memories. What  Isaw in youtube videos that there are black plastic sheets that separate the rams and also there should be one between the upper ram and the metal cover plate. I am surprised that this plastic is missing in my computer. So as a result the ram is almost touching the metal plate. Could this be an issue ? Should I try to place a piece of paper or something in there ? OR just leave it the way it is ?

(2) Now that I have installed 2x16 rams in the two inner slots, what do I do with the original 8gb ram that I pulled out ? Is it a good idea to put it back in slot # 3 or not ? BTW, they all are of same 2400 speed.
Many thanks for patiently reading my loang post. Looking forward to hear your expert advice.

thanks again.

Solved! See the solution
Options

4 Posts

08-22-2020

AU

8 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Thinkpad P51 Memory/ RAM upgrade issues. Please help

2020-09-02, 14:45 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed post, it makes responding easier :-)

For Q 1) not sure why you'd be missing the divider sheets but not super bad, just leave them as is. Definitely do not put paper in between or anything else as a substitute, that would be a mistake and a hazard. They won't get hot, or short out unless water is poured on them (definitely hope that doesn't happen either)

Q) Good move upgrading your ram but common practice would be to not reinstall your 8gb stick as you will benefit from dual channel memory running the 2 sticks you have there now, if you add back your 8gb you will bring the system back to single channel mode and lose a significant performance gain you had from having the 2 new sticks installed. (As long as they are installed in the 2 slots closest together, not 1 in the back and 1 behind the keyboard. You want them grouped)

You're better off grabbing another 2 sticks of ram when you come across a deal and install them into the other 2 slots you have left over and get the full speed and benefit of all 3 sticks.

Hope this helps.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

11268 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39718 Signins

415298 Page Views

• Views: 415298
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-09-02, 20:05 PM

It doesn't matter which slots you use.  They will be configured dynamically.  I would use the 8GB stick if I was using application that needed or used the RAM.  Just adding RAM because you have the stick isn't necessarily the right action.  Some things (like hibernation)  take longer with more.  I have seen some machines with the black plastic and some without.  The voltage is low enough (1.2v) and the current draw is so low enough that it really doesn't matter.  Don't add paper that will interrupt air flow.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

4 Posts

01-21-2018

CA

9 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-09-03, 2:50 AM

Many thanks to Lennox84 and Richk for your erudite opinion. Your replies were roughly the same but I can only accept one reply as acceptable solution, but I appreciate you both. Thanks for your time.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete