Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

10-01-2020

United States of America

12 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 1 of 15

Thinkpad P51 Stuck at Logo Screen after Lenovo Recommended update reboot

2021-04-06, 3:22 AM

After allowing an update to an Intel driver or firmware, system rebooted and became stuck on the Lenovo logo screen.
System does not respond to pressing Enter key to interrupt startup.  After forcing shutdown and rebooting using power button, also cannot boot to recovery usb by pressing F12.  System will not respond to reboot with any other function key (F2 or F8) either.

How do I recover?  Help!

Options

2282 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

249 Signins

11666 Page Views

• Views: 11666
  • Message 2 of 15

Re:Thinkpad P51 Stuck at Logo Screen after Lenovo Recommended update reboot

2021-04-06, 13:35 PM

Hi cluigia71,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Sometimes a BIOS update can take a bit of time, and it might seem like it's stuck on the logo, how long was it on the logo before you interrupted it ?

If this was a BIOS/Firmware update and it got stuck or interrupted, then the motherboard is most likely bricked. Is there any LED lights / sound coming from the device ? 

Try the following :

PMU - Static Discharge on Laptop and AC adapter.
- Remove all cables attached to the device (hdmi, external mouse/keyboard, etc)
- Ensure device is switched OFF
- Keep the AC adapter connected to the laptop, but disconnected from the wall socket *Important*
- Hold down power button for 60 seconds
- Re-attach all cables
- Connect the AC Adapter, then let the device charge for about 2 minutes (if it does) then start up as usual.

In the event this doesn't work and you have LED lights and Fans running, try turning the device on, then let it naturally deplete of power. Then turn it on again, and let it naturally deplete again, until you can't.

Insert the AC Adapter/Charger and let it charge for about 5 minutes, then try and turn it back on.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

8 Posts

10-01-2020

United States of America

12 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 3 of 15

2021-04-07, 15:32 PM

Neither of these solutions worked for me, Voithos.

To answer some other questions:  I'm not sure how long the system originally stayed on the logo screen, as I'd walked away from the system after approving the update.
Power, Keyboard, Device Access indicator, and fans come on.  The device access indicator does not blink and remains steady after turning the system on.  I get no Beeps - not even the initial single one.

To the best of my recollection, on the day of this failure (April 5), I responded "okay/install" to the first notification that there was a recommended Intel update.  The typical installation message wasn't coming up, so while I was waiting I checked for any Microsoft updates and started it downloading.  The Microsoft update proceeded and I still hadn't gotten the usual "system will need to reboot" message from the Lenovo process.  Without thinking, I went ahead and allowed Microsoft to reboot.  When the system booted from that, I got the Lenovo/Intel update message again.  This time I got the usual sequence of messages for approval and notification that the system would reboot.  I set that in progress, and after that ran into my current dilemma.

Doing some sleuthing on the support site, it appears these are the most recent Intel updates issued:

1)  Intel Management Engine 11.8 Firmware -- March 31, 2021 (critical)

2)  Intel Wireless LAN Driver -- March 31, 2021 (critical)

Any further ideas?  Some machines have an emergency reset hole on the bottom, but not the P51, unless accessing it requires removing the bottom panels.  I cannot find a location specified for it in the Hardware Manual diagrams, although it is mentioned in a section on troubleshooting.  System has a SSD as the boot drive and a secondary HDD for file storage.  Warranty on the system is expired and I'm using an old Gateway tower that's at least 10 years older right now.  Unreal.  Thanks in advance for any other ideas you might have.

Options

449 Posts

12-24-2011

United Arab Emirates

695 Signins

5084 Page Views

• Views: 5084
  • Message 4 of 15

2021-04-09, 6:44 AM

Hi @cluigia71,

My P51 hangs in a similar manner when a 2.5TB HDD is attached to USB, I would try to make sure all USB attached devices are unplugged for now.

Then, if you have access to BIOS, you can go in and load default settings.

Make sure AC power is not plugged in.

As P51 has an external battery, you can try to remove it, to drain/reset it. (Mostly Thinkpads with internal batteries need a reset button.)

Worst case, try to unplug/plug the CMOS battery (under the cover).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhti9CddV6U

Let us know how you progress..

PS. I have 4x P51:s, none of them bricked by the latest Management FW update.

Options

8 Posts

10-01-2020

United States of America

12 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 5 of 15

2021-04-10, 4:24 AM

Well, this is frustrating.  I finally opened the back cover and tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

The system still did not issue any beep and again got stuck on the Lenovo Logo Screen saying "press enter to interrupt normal startup."  Of course pressing enter, F12, F1 or anything else continued to do nothing.

Then arriving at the conclusion that I was going to have to take the unit to a local repair shop, I opened the back up again to remove my secondary INTERNAL PCIE hard drive (not USB) with all my data files on it (security reasons).  Put the back cover and battery back in, and THEN the system beeped and prompted me to fix the BIOS clock setting.  While I was there, I changed the setting from quick start to display of full POST diagnostic sequence.  The system then booted to Windows.

Thinking I'd resolved the problem, I reinstalled my internal hard drive.  Now when I turn the system on I just get a black screen, so I'm back to square one.  Even if that secondary drive was failing, I don't see why it would prevent the system from booting to windows.

Options

449 Posts

12-24-2011

United Arab Emirates

695 Signins

5084 Page Views

• Message 6 of 15

2021-04-10, 7:28 AM

What if you move the disks around?

It almost sounds like the disk in slot 2 fails to make proper contact with the socket. Hence if you trade places, does the machine start normally? I sometimes have to mount the disks a little forward in the socket for reliable connection. Ie don't push it all the way back into the retainer screw. Try to have a small gap while still able to fasten the screw.

If it still hangs, that sounds like a problem with the disk itself, I would then mount it into an NVMe bracket and attach it to USB.

Similar to this one:

SHINESTAR-Enclosure

Options

8 Posts

10-01-2020

United States of America

12 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 7 of 15

2021-04-10, 19:23 PM

Hmm ... looking at the hardware manual configuration, if I switched the positions of the ATA hard drive (data) and the NVMe SSD (system), neither one would look like a boot drive (0) but as secondary drives (1), and I don't know what trying to get the BIOS to recognize either would do, given that's not the recommended configuration. 

I wonder if there are similar enclosures that would allow me to test the hard drive off of a usb.  But it's still inconceivable to me that the drive could have failed so completely and suddenly on a laptop that's almost never moved from its docking station on my home office desk, let alone keep the whole system from booting when it's not the boot drive with the operating system on it.

At the moment I'm up and running on the SSD without access to any of my document folders.  I downloaded the Lenovo advanced diagnostics that used to be in the Companion app and ran all extended tests on the rest of the system.  Motherboard, Memory, PCI-Express, Battery, and NVMe all passed.

I think I'm going to try restoring the system to a previous state now that I have access to my recovery media and the usb ports are all working before I do anything else because I keep going back to the odd sequence of updates that preceded this mess.  I can see now from the log times and Microsoft's Event Viewer that there was a "Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10, KB5000842" between a "Lenovo Power Management Driver" and the "Intel Management Engine" Firmware update; and there was a critical system error specific to the Intel Management Service as well as a warning related to an Intel WLAN module.  After that is when I was suddenly unable to get past that logo screen.

Options

449 Posts

12-24-2011

United Arab Emirates

695 Signins

5084 Page Views

• Message 8 of 15

2021-04-11, 6:04 AM

Just to clarify, is the data disk a 2.5" or m.2?

Anyway I have moved disks around ln P50/P51 and it was never a problem for BIOS to select the correct disk to boot from, niether have I found any trouble with windows understanding that the drive booting from is disk 0.

Options

8 Posts

10-01-2020

United States of America

12 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 9 of 15

2021-04-11, 6:23 AM

Yes, 2.5" ATA.  I just used system restore to put things back to 3/31/2021, reinstalled the hard drive, and same thing happens with the logo screen hanging on boot.

I'm ordering a usb enclosure to test the drive from there, but I really think something went wrong during that firmware update to mess up the motherboard and the system's ability to access that PCI slot. 

Options

25 Posts

08-20-2015

Japan

178 Signins

2005 Page Views

• Views: 2005
  • Message 10 of 15

2021-04-15, 5:58 AM

Dear customer

Sorry for the trouble of POST hang.

Just to confirm, your ATA hard drive (for data) is put into slot "a" and the NVMe SSD (system) is in "c" or "d"  in below picture?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms