Russian Federation

30 Signins

314 Page Views

• Views: 314
  • Message 71 of 90

Re: Thinkpad P53 Storage kit

2020-01-18, 11:27 AM

Hi, Martin

Let me thank you for your somewhat lengthy, yet actuating reply.  

Harsh is it may sound in my retort, I strongly disagree with your reasoning, which is, basically, to shift the onus of verifying what one buys and pays for (and therefore the fault if something doesn't come out as expected) on to me as a consumer

wrote:

You are right as it's not mentioned...

... The fact is that NOWHERE it is mentioned that the cable and caddy, for HDDs not purchased, are INCLUDED in your machine. Did you see somewhere that they ARE included, or did you just assume?.. 

...The tray and cable where not promised. The information about Lenovo not shipping them if the HDD wasn't purchased with the machine, was in the open and easily found. You should have been able to find it too.

You are wrong.

Again, as I said,  what was promised was a particular MTM, the specifications of which on the producer's page on the Internet mentioned three hard drives.  Therefore, I expected to insert three hard drives I purchased beforehand as per the specifications, at no additional cost. You fail to prove that "the information about Lenovo not shipping them if the HDD wasn't purchased with the machine, was in the open and easily found" As I said before, at least it should have been mentioned in the specs, if not in a retailer's site description of the product.

By the way, where exactly "was it in the open"? I researched my machine before I ordered it, too, to learn what to expect, but, "like many other users", did not come across it. Is it my fault or Lenovo's?

wrote:

Optional means it's an option, and "Up to" means that those vary by machine, thus options. CTO means Custom To Order, which means the PSREF describes the available options, not a specific machine. What you order decides what gets installed in the machine, that is the parts needed for proper operation of the ordered machine. There are separate specs specific to pre-built machines, and they describe exactly what is included in those.

Again, as I wrote above, optional  is indicative to me as a consumer that something else needs to be done for that optional to work, such as additional parts MUST be installed.

Where I live, there is no CTO. Only certain MTMs offered by the retailer who describes it, as per the law, by disclosing what's already inside. No mention of specific FRUs or CRUs or any other options. Again, Lenovo already decided for me what would be installed (or not). Nowhere has it been mentioned that the parts in question have not been intended to be pre-installed in my MTM, whereas the possibilty to insert an HDD of my choice has been mentioned as per the specs.

wrote:

"I now have to go to NO ONE OTHER but the prodcuer and pay WHATEVER they ask, as, <...>, there is NO OTHER OPTION for me" - Same as in milking robots, tractors, Apple products, smartphones, home appliances, and most stuff electronic. What you are talking about is "Right to repair", and NOT a Lenovo-specific issue.

Wrong. What I am talking about is the consumers right to be able to deduce the final cost of the product in question. Check this link to read up on how Lenovo (and others, to be sure), make an extra buck by limiting consumer choices. 

Had these parts been freely available for purchase at competitve prices from numerous vendors, and installable as a CRU, I wouldn't have raised a single objection.

wrote:

With Lenovo, you don't need special, restricted tools, to change those parts like Apple, John Deere and others do. Lenovo is very nice in that regard. When you need a special tool (like the keyboard tool), it's available through the regular part distributors for the price of the tool + shipping and taxes. Sure, their stock levels could be better, but at least they DO sell the parts.

As a consumer, I don't need, by default, any special tools from anyone to work my machine or install a CRU. Full stop.

wrote:

I understand the problem you have, but unfortunately, your expectation is wrong. Lenovo could have chosen to include the part, making it's machines more expensive for everyone at the benefit of a small percentage of their users. But they understand that not all buyers are modders ..

Installing an HDD as advertised per specs, is not modding, imho...

wrote:

...We must consider the whole context, not only our needs. I'm glad Lenovo has great, flexible machines like the P series ThinkPads with 5 years of support. 

My P-53 warranty stipulates a 4 year product life (!) 

I feel now emboldened by your post to press legal charges against Lenovo violating mu consumer rights

Options

1 Posts

01-18-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 72 of 90

2020-01-18, 14:34 PM

Before I purchased my P53, I too did research on what model to get in order to reuse my 1 TB 2.5'' Samsung 860 EVO SSD. It is used for storage and was removed from previous machine. Drive has loads of data and all I wanted was to put it straight in to my new machine and use it ASAP

While looking for suitable model I decided to go with T1000 version for extra 2.5inch Drive space and also configured by p53 with smallest ssd option since it is only for OS and few programs and I already have 1tb ReadyMine machine too came without upgrade kitnow I am not even able to do my daily tasks, all of my files are on 2.5 Samsung Evo SSD,!! I know I need to either purchase external usb caddy or wait for lenovo to get some parts in stock. Even after that, I am not sure how long it takes for them to post it to UK or if they even have available stock left.

On top of that I am capable of adding upgrade kit myself, but I would love Lenovo technician to come and install it, hence there are additional parts,and it is expensive machine. All this will take time, meaning I again, will not be able to use my p53 as expectedMy other issue is that upgrade kit is not available at all. When I did my research this thread was still empty and there were no information about required parts or part numbers. There are many listings with OEM parts and kits available on ebay, Alibaba, aliexpress. They all come from China and claim that they are genuine p53 upgrade kits with exact part number. I am afraid that buying from Alibaba or aliexpress and installing those parts can void my warranty.

I dont want to wait any longer, what should I do ?

Options

0 Posts

01-25-2020

United States of America

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 73 of 90

2020-01-25, 14:27 PM

SSD Storage Kit is available here. It includes cable, Foil for HDD/SSD and a plastic rim to the hold the drive in the slot. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000470388695.html

It is backorder on encompass.

I think the cable and caddy should be part of the laptop whether you order it with SSD/HDD option or not. Something for Lenovo to improve. I was very close to returning the laptop due to the lack of expandability. I still have to wait for more than a month and numerous calls to straighten this out. Eventually I bought it on my own as it was impacting my work.

Options

1 Posts

01-18-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 74 of 90

2020-01-25, 14:47 PM

Had a call with lenovo tech support and they said that nobody asked about this particular part before. Also the part number I got from them was 4XB0L63274 (that is actually p51,52 and not compatible kit) oh well.. 

The response I got was that all the extra parts or ''upgrades'' come with extra cost. Lenovo does not send them parts for free and you have to purchase them yourself. 

Anyway, I ordered mine from Aliexpress too, it will arrive in few weeks since the required part does not even exist in UK.  I do need to use 2.5 inch drive ASAP and can not wait any longer .

Does anyone know if installing part like this from Aliexpress would void warranty ? (since part is not purchased from lenovo)

Thanks

Options

9 Posts

09-14-2019

United States of America

8 Signins

117 Page Views

• Views: 117
  • Message 75 of 90

2020-02-12, 21:15 PM

I bought a connector 02DM497 but after connecting no disk present neither in the disk management nor in the peripherals nor in file explorer, is it necessary to configure something in the bios?

Options

4 Posts

02-23-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

220 Page Views

• Views: 220
  • Message 76 of 90

Re:Thinkpad P53 Storage kit

2020-02-23, 0:12 AM

Does anyone know when and if the SATA bracket will be available?  I ordered and have received 02DM497 connector cable from Encompass.  It seems like the bracket # 4XH0S69185 has been verified incorrect in message 21.  Was the connector the issue or the bracket?  

Options

1 Posts

03-08-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 77 of 90

2020-03-08, 10:26 AM

Hi, found this on smile.amazon.com.  Works as designed for P53.

Deal4GO 7mm 2.5" SATA Hard Drive Caddy Bracket with SSD HDD Cable Holder Tin Foil for Lenovo ThinkPad P53 FP530 DC02C00G010

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B082561F5Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Options

4 Posts

10-31-2019

United States of America

16 Signins

93 Page Views

• Views: 93
  • Message 78 of 90

2020-03-08, 21:48 PM

Had a call with lenovo tech support and they said that nobody asked about this particular part before. 

Never believe that when you hear it from a company representative.  Of any company.  Never ever.

The generic option from eBay does work.  But the rubber bumper piece is crap and is best discarded.

Options

72 Posts

12-20-2018

France

175 Signins

1486 Page Views

• Views: 1486
  • Message 79 of 90

2020-03-09, 15:27 PM

It is really unfortunate that Lenovo does not include that bracket by default to save a few bucks on an already expensive machine.

When I bought my P72, I knew about this and ordered the machine with a HDD but still...

Lenovo ThinkPad P72 - i7-8850H / 48GB DDR4-2666 / 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / 1TB HDD / 17.3" UHD / Intel UHD 630 / Quadro P600 / 99W Battery / Linux distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed
Options

1 Posts

03-20-2020

Germany

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 80 of 90

2020-03-20, 22:54 PM

Could you tell its number please or provide a link to buy it?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms