Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

05-04-2021

Finland

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 12

Thinkpad P53: Windows 20H2 update fails

2021-05-04, 14:53 PM

Hello,

I have problem installing Windows 10 feature update 20H2. Installation fails to bluescreen after boot. There is this stop code: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. Update history shows: Failed to install <date> - 0x1900101. Found out that this code (0x1900101) might refer to some driver issue. I have latest drivers installed (at least Lenovo Vantage is unable to find new updates). I have tried disabling Virtualization features on bios (read somewhere those could lead to issues).

Any ideas?

-mannerju

Options

2548 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

184 Signins

12845 Page Views

• Views: 12845
  • Message 2 of 12

Re:Thinkpad P53: Windows 20H2 update fails

2021-05-05, 21:22 PM

Hello mannerju,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

I suggest that you share the machine type model / MTM (ex. 81C70000RK) from the sticker as it would help us detail more about your machine variant.

It would also help running diagnostics.
Update us soon as convenient

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

6 Posts

05-04-2021

Finland

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 3 of 12

2021-05-07, 7:39 AM

Hi Lorenzo_Lenovo,

MTM: 20QN-CT01WW

What do you mean by "running diagnostics"?

-mannerju

Options

2660 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11299 Signins

61111 Page Views

• Views: 61111
  • Message 4 of 12

2021-05-08, 6:03 AM

Just checking:

Check your BIOS. In the Security > Virtualization section) you should DISABLE "Enhanced Windows Biometric Security".

Options

6 Posts

05-04-2021

Finland

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2021-05-08, 6:24 AM

"Enhanced Windows Biometric Security" -option is disabled. Didn't help..

Options

472 Posts

12-24-2011

United Arab Emirates

729 Signins

5264 Page Views

• Views: 5264
  • Message 6 of 12

2021-05-08, 13:32 PM
During the update, do you have a dock or any external peripherals attached?
Options

6 Posts

05-04-2021

Finland

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 7 of 12

2021-05-08, 15:14 PM

I have tried disconnecting all external peripherals, but that didn't help either. It might be that my bluethoot mouse and keyboard was connected though.

Options

2660 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11299 Signins

61111 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2021-05-08, 20:44 PM

For reference and possible additional thoughts and ideas (including total initial failure and then eventual success not only reported by me but then also by others), if you haven't already read my own thread from late 2020 regarding "failure to install 20H2 on my P73", you might do so.

I had my own assortment of symptoms but primarily it was the inability to successfully complete 20H2 update or alternative "upgrade in-place" (i.e. full reinstall of Windows while retaining all data and currently installed apps and Windows customizations) attempts (in several different "flavors"). In my own 20H2 story I personally was not plagued by BSOD issues as the main obstacle but nevertheless just could not get 20H2 to apply successfully in November 2020, to this essentially brand new P73 that had successfully applied 1909 right after first arriving in June 2020.

My own eventual "success" in getting 20H2 successfully applied involved repeating a procedure known as "in-place upgrade" (which I had already tried earlier, though unsuccessfully). But it depended on recreating a freshly produced MS installation media. The assumption here is that the original widely reported MS-caused "20H2 blocker bug" had been present not only in Win10 systems, along with the 20H2 update file itself, but also in early versions of the full Win10 install media. Theoretically this "20H2 blocker bug" was addressed and fixed by MS as described by KB4586853, officially released November 30, 2020 (but realistically with the fix not available out "in the wild" until after that date).

Only after MS replaced the "defective" Win10 install media with the "fixed version" and I then downloaded this "fixed version" and then re-ran my "in-place upgrade" using it, did my own story have a happy ending.

However BSOD, and mention of "driver incompatibility" was definitely mentioned by several other users in my other thread. In particular, there was a super-informative post by @kitor in Poland (I think he, too, had a P73, but his information could well be applicable to your P53). In particular he had reported earlier that he had traced the BSOD cause down to RtsPer.sys - Realtek PCIe card reader driver. So his 20H2 installation efforts focused on how to overcome the presence of the Realtek PCIe card reader in his P73, at least long enough to get 20H2 applied successfully.

As I mentioned above, I too was eventually able to get 20H2 applied on my own P73 (which for some reason had arrived with that "Biometrics Security" option ENABLED, but which need to be changed to DISABLED, so there was at least that BSOD issue for me to overcome among other problems). In the end I need to recreate a brand new downloaded MS full Win10 installation media on USB flash drive, after MS had "fixed" it to apply the fix that had previously prevented 20H2 from either (a) being presented for install, or (b) installing successfully at all.

Also in the end, @kitor "emerged victorious" on his own 20H2 BSOD story and using his own discovered method. He documented his resolution as follows (in this very important post of his):

So, to recap. This may be not the optimal way, but worked for me:

1. Fetch 20H2 install.
    • I used Win10 download tool for that.
    • After installer was downloaded, I cancelled it
    • You can access it from C:\ESD directory later
  2. Disable network interfaces.
  3. Go to device manager, uninstall Realtek card reader drives with "remove driver" option selected.
  4. Reboot to UEFI
  5. In Security / Port access, disable Card Reader
  6. Reboot, check if it wasn't auto-installed, if was - goto 2.
  7. Run installer from point 1
  8. Wait till update finishes
  9. After successful boot, update everything:
    • run Windows Update to fetch all new updates
    • run Windows Update to fetch optional driver updates
    • run Lenovo Vantage to fetch any updates
    • run Windows Store to fetch any updates (in my case language pack was broken)
    • obviously do all necessary reboots in meantime
    • check Device Manager for any "incompatible" drivers, try to select manually other drivers that matches (in my case Intel ME interface)
  10. Reboot to UEFI
  11. Re-enable card reader. Disable Enhanced Windows Biometric in Security -> Virtualization (if enabled)
  12. Reboot to Windows
  13. Open Device manager, find PCIe device in unknown devices (that's the card reader), install driver via Windows Update
  14. ???
  15. Profit

Options

6 Posts

05-04-2021

Finland

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2021-05-10, 12:06 PM

Thank you DSperber. I will have to investigate these links you provided.

It seems I don't have this Realtek PCIe card reader. Could not find it in device manager. What I did notice is that there was some devices in "Other devices" -group (=Unknown devices?). I uninstalled those and tried to apply the 20H2 update, but no help. I also tried to uninstall my antivirus and install the update but that didn't help either. 

Next I will probably try to create the full Windows installation media and do the "upgrade in-place". I think I have to create some backup image of my SSD if case something goes wrong. Not sure when I have time to do that. I have now paused the windows updates but still it shows "Update and shut down" in the windows start menu. Pressing Shift while pressing the shut down -button seems to bypass the update process.

Options

2660 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11299 Signins

61111 Page Views

• Message 10 of 12

2021-05-10, 18:05 PM

"Other devices" is a category hardware for which the correct driver is not yet installed. This is a SHOULD NOT OCCUR condition. You might also have a yellow exclamation mark on the detail item(s) in this category, if you expand it to see what's hiding there.

If you go into Device Manager, expand that "other devices" category and right-click on the one or more items in there. For each one, select Properties -> Details tab, and then in the Property drop-down list select "Hardware ID". This should then present probably four lines of data.  The Hardware ID is the definition of this unknown device for which the proper driver has not yet been installed.

Right-click on the first line of data, and select COPY. And then PASTE that value here, so that we can see it. This might well be your Realtek PCIe Card Reader which you didn't know you had!  Or, it might be some other device that for some reason does not have the proper driver installed for.

Very odd that Lenovo Vantage and Windows Update would not have already detected this and automatically obtained the proper driver for whatever this odd piece of hardware is. Perhaps you've got things configured to NOT do these kinds of things automatically, and you've never thought to look for the resolution manually.

Nevertheless, once you post that Hardware ID we will be able to figure out what this is, and what you need to install. As to why it came this way from the factory, that almost seems impossible to imagine. Did you reinstall Windows from scratch yourself and perhaps forget to manually install all the appropriate drivers from the Lenovo Support site for the P53??

Not yet knowing that Hardware ID, I can speculate that perhaps you need to run the installer for the Intel Chipset Device Software.

Or, perhaps you need to run the installer for the MultiCard Reader, i.e. the Genesys / Realtek PCIe Card Reader.

Once we figure out what your missing driver is, if it turns out to be that Realtek PCIe Card Reader then the relevance my the earlier comments regarding how temporarily uninstalling that driver (which currently isn't even installed in your Device Manager, although something mysterious is) and also temporarily DISABLING it in the BIOS, and then attempting to apply 20H2... that all may be very very relevant to solving your overall problem.

And of course once 20H2 gets applied (assuming we are successful) you should then properly re-enable the device in BIOS, and properly install the correct driver for it.  You shouldn't normally have "Other Devices" appearing in Device Manager.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms