Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

2644 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11257 Signins

60836 Page Views

• Views: 60836
  • Message 11 of 12

Re:Thinkpad P53: Windows 20H2 update fails

2021-05-10, 18:18 PM

@ mannerju wrote:

Next I will probably try to create the full Windows installation media and do the "upgrade in-place". I think I have to create some backup image of my SSD if case something goes wrong. Not sure when I have time to do that. I have now paused the windows updates but still it shows "Update and shut down" in the windows start menu. Pressing Shift while pressing the shut down -button seems to bypass the update process.

Absolutely you MUST first take a "system image" backup of what you currently have, before pursuing anything new and adventurous. Ideally you have an external backup drive available. At the very least if you've got a separate second physical internal drive, or at the very least a separate large enough partition on your one physical internal drive on which to place the "system image" output, that is MANDATORY.

My own personal recommendation is to use Macrium Reflect Free. There is of course also a modestly priced non-free paid "Home" version with very useful additional features which you can buy (to show support for this vendor).  But for your current situation  the Free version is at least temporarily perfectly adequate to use for your immediate "system image" backup/restore/recovery requirements.

Definitely install Macrium Reflect Free, create a standalone bootable USB flash drive "Rescue Media" (which you would boot to in the event you had to "restore" the system image backup you are going to take immediately before proceeding further), and now you are absolutely "protected and secure". You can then do and try anything new that you want to experiment with, with the full confidence that you will always be able to restore the backup you will take in order to return to things exactly as they are right now. No better, but at least no worse.

Options

6 Posts

05-04-2021

Finland

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 12 of 12

Re:Thinkpad P53: Windows 20H2 update fails

2021-05-12, 5:20 AM

Ok, There was four devices in this "Other devices" -gategory.

1. Bluetooth Peripheral Device 
2. Bluetooth Peripheral Device

3. IcService_New 

4. SMS/MMS 

I found out that these has something to do with my mobile phone. What I did: I went to Devices and Printers and deleted my phone from devices. Then I went back to Device Manager and now Other devices -group no longer exists.

Do you think this could have been something that prevents me to install 20H2 update? (I will probably try to apply the update later to see if anything changed).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms