5 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 1 of 7

Thinkpad W510 won't run off battery

2018-06-21, 14:04 PM

Hello,

i have th following problem:

My Thinkpad W510 won't turn on without the AC Adapter attatched, at first i thought a new Battery would solve this problem so i bought a brand new original 70++ Battery but the problem still remains.

If I disconnect the AC Adapter while it's turned on it will shut down instantly. Since it doesen't even start with only the Battery attatched I don't think it's a Software Problem.

Btw the Battery is recognized by the os it's full and status is charging.

Any Ideas?

Solved! See the solution
Options

11127 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39653 Signins

414318 Page Views

• Views: 414318
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Thinkpad W510 won't run off battery

2018-06-21, 15:05 PM

This may not be the answer you are hoping for, but there is a fuse that affects only the current to charge the battery.  My guess is that the fuse is blown, or that would be what I would check first.  (It could be other problems in the charging circuit) Even if it is the fuse, it doesn't make it easy to fix.  Changing fues involves using at least a temperature-controlled rework station.  Also, even if the problem is the fuse, it is blown for some reason.  There may be something else wrong.

Another possibility:  If you put in an aftermarket (non-lenovo) battery, are you sure it is good?  Many are just junk.  "New" does not always mean working.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

2 Posts

06-21-2018

DE

5 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 3 of 7

2018-06-22, 4:35 AM

Well the battery arrived yesterday and it had the lenovo seal on it, i think it's original.

Thanks for the information, is it worth it to bring my laptop to a repair shop?

There's another thing if it's the fuse or the circuit shoildn't it run on the battery since its charged, and my os says it's charging.

Options

11127 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39653 Signins

414318 Page Views

• Views: 414318
  • Message 4 of 7

2018-06-22, 5:19 AM

That battery looks correct.  If it is charged and it won't run, that's likely a different fuse.  There is a small charging fuse and a larger "running" fuse.  Most shops in U.S. don't solder anything and ones that do are expensive.  I don't know about Europe.  Even if the fuse is bad, it may be blown because something else failed.  Here, a W510 board would be cheaper than a repair.  I only repair if I have it apart and have a fuse to use.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

23 Posts

12-28-2014

40 Signins

253 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2020-01-18, 5:18 AM

I've got the same issue. This ThinkPad W510 has been an amazing machine, used for most of the last 10 years!!!

I want to continue to use it, but last week, suddenly the batter light started the rapid orange blinking, and if I unplug the machine, it dies instantly.

I bought a new battery hoping that would fix it. It did not work. 

The battery indicator in the windows taskbar indicates it is either charging or has a charge (it's at 77%, I haven't paid attention to see if that's a change from previously today).

I tried several combinations of unplugging, pulling out the battery, holding down the power button, etc. and nothing works to power on the machine except AC plugin to power adapter. 

I figure this is finally the end of the line if the fix involves replacing the mobo or soldering fuses. I've replaced many motherboards (mostly in dsktops, albeit) but I don't want to mess with that on a 10yr old machine. 

Does anyone know of something else it could be that I could try? Otherwise it's computer shopping... probably for another Lenovo laptop, considering the mileage I've gotten out of this one. But if anyone know how I can prolong (without soldering/complete mobo replace), let me know. 

Options

3743 Posts

12-02-2007

US

9013 Signins

187463 Page Views

• Views: 187463
  • Message 6 of 7

2020-01-18, 10:29 AM

Hello,

Do you have another ThinkPad W510 or a compatible system that you can try using the newly-purchased battery in?  Perhaps the new one is bad as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

23 Posts

12-28-2014

40 Signins

253 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2020-01-18, 17:10 PM

I was using the machine when it died suddenly on battery power and wouldn't start without AC power. usually battery deaths will be gradual. Even if the new battery wasn't the best, it should still pull enough juice to get the lights to turn on. And the strange way windows thinks it's charging a battery but doesn't change the percentage charged leads me to NOT entertain the theory that the new battery (nor the old battery) is the problem. This was a sudden break of a component or software change it seems, by the behavior events. 

But if it's a likely hardware break, is it one I can fix easily? I don't want to find, buy, and replace a 10yr old Mobo and I won't be unsoldering and resoldering fuses. 

Is there something else? Like an internal coin battery that somehow regulates this? I dunno.  But I'm starting to shop for a new laptop. I'm looking between Dell, Asus, Lenovo mobile workstations. Dell has too many choices, confuses the product line. Asus has a rep for being disposable (my personal bias) but if it's inexpensive enough, may consider it. Lenovo has served amazingly well for 10 yrs, but does Lenovo still put out the same rugged mobile products they were known for 10 years ago when they were transitioning from IBM, or have those incentives changed and no mobile MFRs are particularly rugged? (except those made as a gimmick for construction worksites). I owned a p series mobile workstation a few years ago for work, and it was okay, but not as solid-feeling as the w-series. Plus, they seemed to have more problems as a sample (batch purchase of half-dozen units for the office). 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete