Illinois

8 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad W540 External Displays/Video Drivers Issue Using Ultradock

2014-09-24, 20:34 PM

Configuration:

-  W540 with Windows 8.1.  BIOS version GNET66WW dated 2014-07-02.

-  Ultradock flashed with BIOS update correcting external displays issue.

-  Discrete Graphics, NVIDIA Quadro K2100M

-  All Lenovo and Microsoft Updates current as of this post.

-  System was cleanly remimaged from Lenovo Windows 8 recovery Disks and then updated to Windows 8.1 through the Microsoft and Lenovo update websites.

Attempting to connect three external, Dell displays, plus the builtin LCD.  This requires that the display mode in the BIOS be changed from STANDARD to ADVANCED. 

When this accomplished, the following warning appears:

"Attention!"

"For Windows 8.1 or later, before switching to either Standard or Advanced video mode on dock, you need to uninstall the graphics drivers in the current setting first, then re-install the graphics driver package after booting to the new mode."

"For details on uninstallation and reinstalltion, please refer to the release notes accompanying the driver package."

"Latest driver package can be downloaded from the Lenovo website."

So . . . I did as instructed and uninstalled both the Intel/Integrated graphics driver and the NVIDIA/Discrete graphics driver and rebooted.  No version information was available for the Intel driver, however the NVIDIA driver was version 327.62.  I then changed the BIOS display setting to advanced and proceeded to boot the laptop. 

I then used the Intel and NVIDIA driver packages downloaded from the Lenovo support website.  The Intel installation appears to succeed, but installation of the NVIDIA drivers does not install the NView software nor does the NVIDIA control panel option appear in either the right-click menu or the control panel.  Additionally, the "Output To" right click option supporting the single existing external display has disappeared from the right click Graphics options menu.

Checking the list of installed programs shows that the NVIDIA software has NOT been installed.  Further, device manager does not even reflect the hardware for an NVIDIA display adapter.

Atempting to manually run the NVIDIA setup from the directory created by the display driver package downloaded from the Lenovo support website results in the following error message:

"NVIDIA Installer Cannot Continue - The graphics driver could not find compatible hardware."

Not surprising given that the hardware display adapter does not appear in Device Manager.  I then attempted to install the NVIDIA v327.62 Driver Package (exactly the same version as was unistalled) as supplied by Microsoft for the W540 via a MS Support Forum - again received the same "could not find compatible hardware" error.  Likewise, when attempting to install the latest driver package, version 340.80, from the NVIDIA website.

I also tried rebooting the computer and changing the BIOS display setting back to STANDARD mode to see if the NVIDIA discrete graphics hardware then appears in Device Manager.  It didn't and now appears to have disappeared completely from the PC regardless of BIOS display mode setting.  The ability to use even a single external display has disappeared altogether.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

Options

9644 Posts

12-27-2009

CA

3312 Signins

95273 Page Views

• Views: 95273
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Thinkpad W540 External Displays/Video Drivers Issue Using Ultradock

2014-09-27, 4:14 AM
Try using Device Manager to manually install it by pointing the Update driver to the folder with the INF in it.

I forget which subfolder it is in the unpacked files, so have a look around.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Options

3 Posts

09-24-2014

Illinois

8 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Thinkpad W540 External Displays/Video Drivers Issue Using Ultradock

2014-10-02, 14:17 PM

Thank you.  Your pointed me in the right direction!  Manually installing the driver didn't quite fix the problem, but removing the device and letting windows redetect the hardware did indeed solve the apparent issue as far as the laptop was concerned so well done!

Unfortunately, external displays still do not function when attached via the docking station.  When attached to the docking station the laptop sometimes drops to a BSD so starting to suspect a hardware issue with the Ultra Dock itself.  Attempting to check the dock's firmware version using the firmware update utility does not work as indicated in the Lenovo tech documents or the utility's readme so I'm starting to believe that there may be a dock firmware issue.  As shipped the dock required Lenovo's firmware update they put out specifically to address external display issues when using the Ultra Dock.

Next step will be to check display functionality when attached directly to the laptop.  Though more an excercise in curiosity at this point.

Major belly ache:  This issue is now being pursued as a warranty claim.  As this system was purchased for the CIO (power user and key member of the management team), we've been forced to purchase a replacement system while we get this one sorted out. Because of the issue with the W540, we've had to go with a Dell M6800 mobile workstation and dock. 

Hardware issues happen, but it's been part of a perceived downward quality trend and the the resources required to get to the point of addressing this issue as a warranty item have exceeded management's pain threshold.  Assuming that we don't hit any snags with the Dell, we'll be moving back to Dell for workstation purchases and away from Lenovo permanently due to the negative experience with the Lenovo of late.  As I was the one that persuaded the company to move to Lenovo from Dell, I'm not at all fond of this development (sigh).

Ultimately, this debacle will end up costing Lenovo upwards of $100K a year in sales to our company. Lenovo laptops started going downhill when Lenovo dropped the best laptop keyboard ever made and went to the newer, mass market, general consumer type, island keyboard, IMHO. I wish I’d been wrong (deep sigh).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete