Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

602 Posts

02-24-2014

Afghanistan

623 Signins

9043 Page Views

• Views: 9043
  • Message 11 of 15

Re: Thinkpad W540 trackpad replacement?

2019-09-03, 16:45 PM

Too many points to reply, but concernoing the USB 2 vs 3, I agree with you if ALL the ports on the system are the same.  However, on the W540 AND W541, the unit has TWO USB 2 and TWO USB 3 not clearly labelled. If it was all 2 or all 3, then it's a non issue.

I use the systems in the field on location at events that need d/l'ing of data on the fly.  My assistant is not the same all the time, and it just adds to my time to label and properly train the person to use the proper ports.  My point is that this is not really a workstation, as the user interface has been reduced 'a la' Jony Ives. WHat has happened is that this POS is full of stickers, for the USB, for the F-Keys.  The lack of a light on the power brick is also a pain, I needed to add an in line switch with a light that shows power good.  These doit yourself workarounds are not correct for this advertised 'workstation'.

Options

602 Posts

02-24-2014

Afghanistan

623 Signins

9043 Page Views

• Message 12 of 15

2019-09-03, 16:51 PM

What do you mean with properly functioning F-keys? Is your current KB defective?

I set in the BIOS to default to the F-n keys, not the 'toy, surfing' default features.  Somehow, after several restarts, it defaults back to the gaming/video keys..... It's a plain pain when sudenly pressing F4 for the editor, nothing happens except to control the microphone.  Or when inExcel, and wanting to run a macro assigned to F8, I loose the data in the cell, and WiFi GUI pops up.  Just difficul to concentrat on the tast, when this workstation want to go back to being a web toy..

Options

602 Posts

02-24-2014

Afghanistan

623 Signins

9043 Page Views

• Message 13 of 15

2019-09-03, 16:56 PM

With finger indent on the SD slot I assume you mean the fingerprint reader.

No. This is a feature to allow the finger to easily push in the SD card into the slot, and similarly, push in to unlock and pull out the card.  Again, in the field, if handing in an SD card to be read into Lightroom, my tech (often a young lady) cannot push in the SD card far enough to lock in.  Similarly, once locked in, it is difficult to remove since there is no indent to allow pushing in the card to unlock.  I resolve the issue by carrying a USB SD card reader.

BUT, as I mentioned again, these are all workarounds not worthy of a machine claimed to be a workstaion,  The T430s does not have all these issues.  It is a REAL workstation, if not underpowered by today's standards.

Options

1 Posts

01-05-2021

Bulgaria

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 14 of 15

Re:Thinkpad W540 trackpad replacement?

2021-01-05, 21:50 PM

@ Bauden wrote:

Thanks... I did follow from the forum on getting the replace 3 button trackpad to work (I do miss the lower buttons):

To add (3button.reg with tested driver 19.0.12.61 = https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds103454 gggr05ww.exe) to the:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\\\\]
"ExtraCapabilities7Add"=dword:00010000
"ExtraCapabilities7Mask"=dword:ffffffff

The T430s has the correct configuration of a REAL WORKSTATION.... 

Now at least my W540 is 1/4 on the way to be a workstation.  Still needs theHD light, proper keyboard active key lights, WiFi hard switch, and properly funtioning F-Keys....  properly colored USB 3.0 sockets AND finger indent on the SD slot...  :(

Based on your reply I've decided to create a simple convenient batch file fixing the three buttons issue by automatically altering the registry and have decided to share it with people having the same issue. Hope this helps. You can get the script from fix-lenovo-w540-trackpad-buttons.bat

Options

4 Posts

06-11-2018

United States of America

4 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 15 of 15

Re:Thinkpad W540 trackpad replacement?

2021-02-19, 20:22 PM

Thank you so much for making this, I can now see the correct touchpad configuration.
I am also a w540 owner who swapped in the touchpad from the w541 however I keep having a problem that I was hoping you might have some insight on.
When I installed the driver gggr07ww.exe (version 19.017.142) and ran your .bat file the touchpad and buttons worked perfectly. However, sometimes after a restart nothing works. Other times, only the touchpad works and the buttons do not.
I set up a group policy editor in Windows 10 to prevent the driver from updating as well.
I am obviously missing something and I would greatly appreciate it you have any insight,

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms