11-17-2009

Colorado

75 Signins

341 Page Views

• Views: 341
  • Message 1 of 15

Thinkpad W700 Latest Bluetooth Drivers won't install and rollback failed

2011-01-16, 13:55 PM
I have a Thinkpad W700. I’m running 64 bit Windows 7 Professional. I recently attempted to update the blue tooth device drivers from the Lenovo web site using drivers dated 24 Aug 2010 6.2.1.2900 . The installation failed and a rollback was attempted. Now I get this error message when I log in and BTTray.exe runs (from my start up folder). BTTray.exe- System Error. "The program can't start because btwhidcs.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." I also get these device driver alerts from the ThinkVantage Toolbox (and the Windows Device Manager itself) that the Bluetooth Hands Free Audio, Bluetooth L2Cap Interface, and Bluetooth Remote Control drivers are missing or corrupted and need to be reinstalled. I've seen others complain about this issue with other laptops, but I cannot find those posts today. This is very frustrating. Lenovo tech support was unable to help me saying that it was not a hardware problem! Thanks And the following as well. Please tell me where I can find the previous revision of these drivers. Thanks
Options

3322 Posts

07-31-2008

Pakistan

1715 Signins

151632 Page Views

• Views: 151632
  • Message 2 of 15

Re: Thinkpad W700 Latest Bluetooth Drivers won't install and rollback failed

2011-01-16, 14:04 PM

Hi,

Download -> install/run CCleaner and clean your registry, thereafter try to reinstall the Bluetooth driver.

Let us know how it goes.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Options

35 Posts

11-17-2009

Colorado

75 Signins

341 Page Views

• Message 3 of 15

2011-01-16, 14:21 PM

What makes you think its a registry issue?  Running cclesaner may or may not fix my issue and it may or may not mess up something else.  If you know what regsitry settings need to be tweaked for my BT issue then tell me.  Thanks anyway.

Options

3322 Posts

07-31-2008

Pakistan

1715 Signins

151632 Page Views

• Message 4 of 15

2011-01-16, 14:50 PM

.DLL errors are most of the times caused by bad registry, CCleaner is very safe, it even gives you an option to save your current registry.

Kudos!
Visit my YouTube Channel

Options

35 Posts

11-17-2009

Colorado

75 Signins

341 Page Views

• Message 5 of 15

2011-01-18, 13:04 PM

Thanks, I'll consider it.  Where is Lenovo?  How about posting software that actually installs? 

Options

3322 Posts

07-31-2008

Pakistan

1715 Signins

151632 Page Views

• Message 6 of 15

2011-01-19, 0:46 AM

wrote:

Where is Lenovo? 

There is lenovo presence on the forum, and lenovo guys occasionally do comment/provide suggestions, however the community is not designed as a dedicated and staffed support channel, this is just a peer-to-peer forum.

As for your issue, in tech sphere it's common that Windows is prone to registry issues, not only lenovo drivers but also other software would have problems when registry gets corrupted, for instance see how the issue in the following topic was solved:- http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/On-screen-display-installation-issues/m-p/306370

Kudos!
Visit my YouTube Channel

Options

35 Posts

11-17-2009

Colorado

75 Signins

341 Page Views

• Message 7 of 15

2011-01-22, 12:05 PM
So I installed CCleaner and although it suggested many changes to the registry none of them were related to the blue tooth drivers on my laptop. Thanks. anyway. It sure would be nice t]for Lenovo to publish the older drivers. Thanks.
Options

35 Posts

11-17-2009

Colorado

75 Signins

341 Page Views

• Message 8 of 15

2011-10-26, 21:48 PM

Well I could not leave well enough alone and so when I saw there was yet another update to the Bluetooth drivers I dtook the plunge and ended up back where I was a year ago.  The installation failed, rolled back, and now everytim eI boot up I get this message.  BTTray.exe - System Error  The program can't start because btwhidcs.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

The steps I posted previously to eradicate this message no longer seem to work.  Help please.  Thanks

Options

325 Posts

10-26-2008

Los Angeles

539 Signins

7524 Page Views

• Views: 7524
  • Message 9 of 15

2011-10-30, 6:26 AM

Patterns, I would make a backup image of the system drive, using a program like Acronis True Image, then try various strategies to try to fix the bluetooth driver situation on the machine. Better yet, I would make such a backup before installing any system update, so that I could restore from the backup should the update go wrong. System drive backups are more comprehensive and reliable than Windows Restore Points, and it usually takes less than 30 minutes to restore the system drive from a backup. Click here for more info on backups.

It's critical that you run system backup programs from their own boot CD, and that you don't install those programs within Windows. Here's why. You can't backup open system files from within Windows. So, to get around this limitation, backup programs install "hooks" into your disk drivers. Those "hooks" can make your system unbootable or unreliable. If you look up user reviews of a program like Acronis True Image, almost all of the negative reviews are thus from people who tried to install it within Windows, instead of just using it from the program's boot CD.

One other thing to note is that ThinkPads use a non-standard Master Boot Record (MBR). This is part of your disk that's used to boot up the machine. So backup programs may not correctly backup/restore the MBR. Thus if you want to protect yourself against MBR damage (by viruses, drive failure, etc.), then you can use a backup program to make a full sector-by-sector backup of the entire physical drive. This takes more time and storage space than just backing up a single partition. But you should only need to make such a backup once, because the MBR is usually not changed after installing Windows. Once you restore from the sector-by-sector backup to restore a damaged MBR, then you can restore the backup of any individual partition.

You should also make "Product Recovery Discs" as Lenovo recommends, and include the creation of a "startup" disc for those Product Recovery Discs. ThinkPads will let you do this once per machine. That lets you perform a bare-metal restoration of the drive to the laptop's initial factory state.

Good luck!

Options

35 Posts

11-17-2009

Colorado

75 Signins

341 Page Views

• Message 10 of 15

2011-10-30, 12:37 PM

Your idea is an excellent one, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.  Everything seems to work OK, at least as far as what Im doing and using.  For me, it's just an annoyance to have to dismiss the error dialog everytime I boot up.  It'd be nice to be able to find the missing dll(s) though.

Thanks

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete