Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

06-17-2021

United Arab Emirates

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 2

Thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 Dock Keep Disconnecting when Laptop Battery Charge Reaches 100%

2021-06-17, 7:22 AM

I have recently purchased the Thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 Docking Station and it was doing well in the first time I connect to my ThinkPad Workstation P1 Gen 3 until the battery charge limit approached 100% when the dock start disconnecting and reconnecting every few minutes. It is obvious that what happed is that when the battery charge becomes full the laptop tends to disconnect from the power source even though the USB C cable is still connecting both the laptop and thunderbolt. I have tried to solve the problem by updating BIOS and also by updating the dock drive but nothing worked. Also I 've tried to reduce the battery threshold to less than 100% through Lenovo Vantage APP but this also did not work and the dock disconnecting occurs when the battery reach the limit I set.

Please Help!!!

Options

2794 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

298 Signins

14051 Page Views

• Views: 14051
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 Dock Keep Disconnecting when Laptop Battery Charge Reaches 100%

2021-06-17, 9:01 AM

Hi Medo_Elayyan,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Could you please provide the community with the Machine Type & Model (MTM ex: 90DG0023US) of your device. This will help to show us the configuration and specs of your specific machine so that we can better assist you.

What power setting is your computer on ? balanced ? best performance ? Battery saving ? 

Try some of the troubleshooting steps below in an attempt to remedy the issue:

Step 1. Checking The Advanced Power Options. 
- In the Search function type : Control Panel
- From the View By: select Large/Small Icons. Then Select "Power Options".
- Click "Edit Power Plan" for the plan of your device.
- Select "Change advanced power settings"
- Find and expand "USB Settings"
- Make sure the "USB selective suspend setting" is set to "disabled"

Step 2. Check if Docking Station has a Power Management section.

- Press the Windows Button + X and select Device Manager.

- Locate the Docking Station in the list.

- Right click and select properties.

- Does it have a Power Management section ? 

- If yes, then make sure "Allow the PC to turn off this device to save power" is "Off"

- If No, continue below.

Step 3. Static Discharge
- Remove all cables attached to the laptop (ac adapter/power, hdmi, external mouse/keyboard, etc)
- Ensure device is switched OFF
- Hold down power button for 60 seconds
- Re-attach all cables
- Connect the AC Adapter, then let the device charge for about 2 minutes (if it does) then start up as usual.
- Try this a couple of times in case it doesn't solve the issue the first time (2-3)

Step 4. System Board Updates.

Make sure you have the newest Chipset and Power Management drivers for your device:
You can find and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page
Just plot in the serial number of the device, click the search icon and select your device, then head to Drivers & Software, select Manual Update, then select the Power Management and Chipset section
Right click the files in question and select "Run as Administrator".
**Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and that you have at least 30% battery charge when performing BIOS updates. Do not turn off the device while the BIOS update is running as this can cause serious damage to the motherboard and prevent the device from functioning properly or at all.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)