05-19-2020

US

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 6

Trying to dualboot on P1

2020-05-19, 8:16 AM

Hi! I really hope that you haven't already talked about this topic.

I just bought a new P1 machine with 2 ssd. My idea was to dualboot with Win10 and Manjaro Linux. I've installed Manjaro succesfully but I'm not able to choose at the boot with which OS I want to use. I thought to solve this changing from UEFI bios to Legacy Boot, but bc of the DMA kernel protection I'm not able to switch.

I'm really strugguling with this!

I really hope that you are gonna help me finding a solution!

Thanks and sorry for the not perfect english!

Options

8360 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77299 Signins

2194494 Page Views

• Views: 2194494
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Trying to dualboot on P1

2020-05-19, 16:35 PM

So turn it off.  I don't know that legacy mode will fix your issue but you can turn off Kernel DMA Protection in BIOS:  Security -> Virtualization -> DMA Protection.  Then try legacy booting.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

4 Posts

05-19-2020

US

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2020-05-19, 18:30 PM
Thanks! I was able to desable DMA protection and so to enable Legacy mode. But, when I'm in Legacy mode I'm not even able to boot on, so idk if it would fix the dual boot problem. :(
Options

8360 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77299 Signins

2194494 Page Views

• Views: 2194494
  • Message 4 of 6

2020-05-19, 18:49 PM

I'm not too surprised that it didn't help :(  But I just reread your OP and see that you have two drives.  Is Manjaro installed on the 2nd drive - independently of Windows.  By that I mean not sharing (or trying to share) a boot loader?

If that's the setup , how are you trying to choose which to boot?  I'd normally hit F12 at power on (after a full SHIFT + Shutdown from Windows, or a restart) and select the boot drive that way. This in UEFI mode, not legacy.

Please provide more info on how you're expecting to do the OS selection.  If the issue is that you're not able to interrupt Windows booting it is most likely a fast startup thing.  That's more like hibernation and doesn't allow for alternate boot options.  Then again, since you can get to BIOS that 's probably not it, since that's not allowed either...

Please provide as much info as you can. Hopefully someone here with a clue will have a suggestion...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

4 Posts

05-19-2020

US

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2020-05-19, 19:34 PM
After several days working on it I've found a solution! I've disabled DMA protection and changed the option to both UEFI and Legacy with priority to UEFI. (Actually I'm not sure this is part of the fix, but I'm gonna try to change this options as they were and see if it works or not) Well, on the CMD I've run this: bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\manjaro\grubx64.efi Thank you so much!!
Options

4 Posts

05-19-2020

US

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2020-05-20, 15:57 PM
Little update: I've just re-enabled DNA kernel protection and UEFI boot and still works. So I only needed to run that from the CMD.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete