Netherlands

3 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 1 of 3

Turbo Memory issues...

2008-10-10, 17:55 PM

Hi,

I recently bought a W500 and with it bought an OEM version of Vista Ultimate 64 bit. As a result I had to install all drivers and the Lenovo tools I wanted to have myself since a pre-load DVD set wasn't available yet and I don't like all of the software that usually comes with preinstalled computers.

To avoid problems I first installed the Intel Chipset drivers followed by the latest Turbo Memory drivers from the Intel website. (Before doing so I also tried the drivers offered by Lenovo with the same result as below after which I restored a HDD image to ensure that no traces of older drivers were left due to the BSOD reports I read about related to the Turbo Memory drivers.). After this installed the rest of the software/drivers.

By default ReadyBoost seems to be enabled. But I can't find a way to enable the ReadyDrive option, which basically is the only thing about Turbo Memory which I care about. Initially I ignored the checkboxes as described in a lot of forums posts all over the internet but after 20 reboots or so during the day, some leaving Windows idle for 10-15 minutes ReadyDrive still hadn't enabled itself. I tried checking the ReadyDrive checkbox in the Intel Turbo Memory console but after 10 additional reboots or so it didn't activate either. After each reboot the checkbox was "not-checked".

I recall that when using the original HDD pre-load  for a day that ReadyDrive did activate itself. Also when checking the HDD properties in the device manager there was an additional 'Tab' called 'NV Cache" which isn't present on my own manual installation.

The Intel Turbo Memory flash RAM seems to have a partition of approximately 1.5 GB with no Label or drive letter assigned. Deleting the partition, unchecking and rechecking the 'ReadyBoost' option in the console recreates the partition but does still not allow the use of ReadyDrive.

The only weird thing I noticed during the initial installation of the Turbo Memory drivers is that Vista showed that there was a new drive that needed to be formatted (if I recall correctly). Ignoring this option does not result in an error message.. Telling Windows to format it doesn't do anything either since this results in some kind of error message, suggesting that it was something the driver installation by itself too care of directly after I got this message.

Some additional information:

I reinstalled Windows 2 times already and tried several things by using clean HDD images of the primary partition from a starting point with no drivers installed. Additionally I also disabled Windows update before installing any of the network drivers to avoid that Windows would install any potential not-so-compatible drivers before my manual installation was complete. In the device manager there are no devices that don't have drivers installed and everything else on the laptop is working fine. The Intel Management Engine is disabled in the BIOS.

I'd appreciate any suggestions which might lead to a solution on this.

Thanks,

Roel

Options

229 Posts

06-20-2008

United States

397 Signins

7343 Page Views

• Views: 7343
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Turbo Memory issues...

2008-10-11, 13:56 PM

I believe you are going to need the setup program included with the preload:

SWTOOLS > DRIVERS > turbomem > setup

Click OK if you receive a message that you are installing older versions of the Matrix Storage Manager Driver and Turbo Memory Driver.

You can also try disabling the NV cache support in group policy (details here) and see if that allows the ReadyDrive in Turbo Memory to enable.  I would have more confidence in the first approach.

Don

Options

3 Posts

10-10-2008

Netherlands

3 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Turbo Memory issues...

2008-10-11, 17:34 PM

Hi,

Well Readyboost works fine, it's ReadyDrive which is the problem.

Since the pre-load was for 32 bit Vista I guess the drivers on the Lenovo

website are at least as good as on a 32/64 bit preload. Both the Intel release

as the Lenovo release have been tried so that's not the answer to the problem,

nor the reason for the problem as far as I know.

Thanks,

Roel

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete