Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

11-19-2017

United States of America

49 Signins

131 Page Views

• Views: 131
  • Message 11 of 15

Re: Two Offers I am Considering From My Institution. Which One Would You Pick?

2017-11-22, 14:50 PM

Hi all,

After thinking about current offers, I decided to pay a little extra and get the P51 from Lenovo's official website. With holiday discounts, the price difference is not that huge overall. However, when customising my order, I found a couple of options that I do not know what they mean:

1- RAID Setting. Can anyone briefly explain (or direct me to an article that explains)  what the difference between "No RAID", "RAID 0", and "RAID 1" is? 

2- The price difference between 512GB SSD PCIe MLC OPAL2 and 1TB SSD PCIe TLC OPAL2 is only $50! Is there a difference in quality between MLC and TLC that justifies that?

Thanks!

Options

2597 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11197 Signins

60406 Page Views

• Views: 60406
  • Message 12 of 15

2017-11-22, 15:27 PM

wrote:

2- The price difference between 512GB SSD PCIe MLC OPAL2 and 1TB SSD PCIe TLC OPAL2 is only $50! Is there a difference in quality between MLC and TLC that justifies that?

Regarding MLC vs. TLC, I refer you to this online tech article from TomsITPro.com:

MLC vs. eMLC vs. SLC vs. TLC

There are four types of NAND flash, differing in number of P/E cycles per lifetime, and defined by their construction:

• SLC -- Single Level Cell: the most expensive, longest lived (high P/E), and generally fastest. Bits are stored only as 2 voltage levels, or a "1" or "0." In SLC less data is stored per cell, so the per unit storage cost is higher.
  • MLC -- Multi-Level Cell: is consumer grade and used in phones, cameras, and USB sticks. The stored charge in MLC may be interpreted as a variety of values, 0 to 3, or 4 possible states, and may store 2 bits. With shorter lifetimes, usually 10x less than SLC, the advantage of this memory is that the cost is 2- 4x less than SLC, but with lower write speeds. MLC typically uses some form of error correction code per block.
  • eMLC -- Enterprise (grade) Multi-Level Cell: is MLC with longer life, usually because of an advanced controller operating the cell and error recovery techniques, construction density, or some combination of the two. Violin has an interesting explanation of the practical differences between NAND types here.
  • TLC -- Triple Level Cell: championed by Samsung, TLC has higher power and error correction requirements, and higher wear levels. TLC is targeted at environments with predominant read uses, and has not been commonly used. 

Options

8 Posts

11-19-2017

United States of America

49 Signins

131 Page Views

• Views: 131
  • Message 13 of 15

2017-11-22, 15:41 PM

Interesting! Form the above description, I might be better off with a 512 MLC than with a 1 TB TLC. I wonder whether studies on failure rate of the two kinds translates this theory talk to practical significance. Thanks again!

Options

987 Posts

06-03-2011

United States of America

591 Signins

14790 Page Views

• Views: 14790
  • Message 14 of 15

2017-11-22, 21:38 PM

RAID Setting

If you only have one SSD/ HDD in the machine, NO RAID is the only option here that makes sense to me. RAID is for having >1 storage device and using them to speed up storage access, increase storage reliability, or both depending on configuration.

MLC vs TLC

I haven't noticed much practical significance. I've had an SSD in all of the machines in my household since I purchased a T400 with a 64GB SSD roughly 7 years ago. I think MLC often has slightly better theoretical performance, but everything seems to load so fast with SSDs that I generally can't tell the difference between a fast SSD and a mid-range SSD. I can tell the difference with a slow SSD. YMMV. 

As a general rule, MLC is often rated for more lifetime writes compared to TLC. If your workload causes lots of RAM to SSD swapping or you regularly delete GBs of files and write GBs of files on a daily basis, then the MLC drive may be a better choice.

When given the option, I often just opt to purchase a machine with a HDD installed. I then buy the SSD aftermarket and a USB enclosure for the HDD. The SSD will often be sold in a kit with software or the manufacturer will have software that will allow you to clone the HDD to the SSD. You can also do that yourself with opensource or other software if you are inclined. I clone the HDD to the SSD, install the SSD in the machine, and use the HDD in the enclosure as a backup drive. This accomplishes the purposes of having a backup drive for the machine & it lets me pick the exact SSD I purchase. 

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
Options

6 Posts

11-27-2017

United States of America

1 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 15 of 15

2017-11-27, 17:26 PM
Ty for the quick reply. I just find it very odd that SAMSUNG would provide 1TB drive for Lenovo that operates at 300MB/s in read but with 1,700MB/s in write speed. I am still wondering if this is a typo that has carried over through all web sites that offer this product?!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms