10-21-2009

NY

56 Signins

745 Page Views

• Views: 745
  • Message 11 of 17

Re: USB Port does not work W510

2010-05-07, 14:31 PM

I submitted a support request through ESC+, and got a call this morning from them regarding my request.  I was told that, at least in the opinion of this support person, that this is a Windows software issue and not an issue with the hardware, and because the USB driver is a standard Microsoft driver that it's a problem that Microsoft will have to address.

This apparently is the first Lenovo has heard of this, so I am not sure if I have the clout to press this issue with Lenovo for them to really look into.  I haven't done anything strange or unusual with my system, so it's my sincere belief that this issue would occur with any brand new W510 before any software is change from the initial image.  I think Lenovo and their Enhance Experience people should have a look into this and if nothing else point out the problem to Microsoft for them to fix.  After all, Lenovo has released USB 3.0 drivers, so I don't see why they wouldn't release a fix for this USB port, and who knows, maybe this really is a hardware issue and not a software issue.  Maybe the hardware doesn't respond to wake-up requests like they expected.

I'd hate to resort to a carpet bomb method to get Lenovo to actually look at this.  I paid a huge chunk of money for extended warantee service, so I would expect Lenovo to be able to test this problem themselves rather than asking their customers to do the work for them.  He asked me to reimage the machine and see if that fixes it, but I don't have the time to do that right now.  Send me another hard drive and I'll do your testing for you, but I think this is on Lenovo to look at.  I have all the Lenovo updates and Windows updates that could ever have any relation to this issue, so somebody needs to be aware of this.  I don't think this is entirely Microsoft's fault, and if anything the call I got felt more like a blame-shifting technique so Lenovo can avoid incurring expenses from this.  I really think this has more to do with the fact that this is an unusual "always-on" USB port.

If Mark from Lenovo or one of the Microsoft MVP people on this forum could contribute, that would be great.  Otherwise, I'd advise all of you to submit similar requests either through ESC+ or their phone support so they're aware that this is a widespread issue.  And if you have a W510 and a usb mouse, test the steps above on your system to see if this is a problem across all W510s.

Options

8 Posts

02-18-2010

Melbourne, Australia

40 Signins

137 Page Views

• Views: 137
  • Message 12 of 17

2010-05-08, 7:15 AM

I'll give it a shake through the support channels on Monday, as this is a very annoying problem for me.

Just a note: I find the same problem on Linux, which would suggest it's not a operating system issue (although it's not impossible that both OS's have similar bugs).

Options

72 Posts

10-21-2009

NY

56 Signins

745 Page Views

• Views: 745
  • Message 13 of 17

2010-05-18, 15:09 PM

It would appear that Lenovo has dropped my ESC+ support request.  Has anyone else had any luck getting Lenovo to listen to you? or is everyone else getting the classic "It's Microsoft's problem" response?

I'd like to hear a response from Mark or someone else at Lenovo.  It's not like Microsoft is going to listen to end users and more than Lenovo is going to listen to us, so I'd have to place the responsibility on Lenovo to inferface with Microsoft like I'm sure they already are with their Win7 EE program.

Options

8 Posts

02-18-2010

Melbourne, Australia

40 Signins

137 Page Views

• Views: 137
  • Message 14 of 17

2010-05-20, 10:01 AM

I updated my Linux installation to the latest kernel (2.6.34 if it matters), and lo and behold the USB port now works after suspend.

I did some reading, and apparently the port needs to be reset after suspend, and no drivers are doing this correctly until now.

So it seems this is a driver issue, however as Lenovo are releasing this machine with Windows pre-installed you would think they could get a fixed USB driver or work with Microsoft to make their hardware work correctly.

Options

288 Posts

04-20-2010

Ottawa

2936 Signins

4886 Page Views

• Views: 4886
  • Message 15 of 17

2010-05-20, 13:12 PM

I had the behavior last night (again, as usual) to the yellow port in the back.  My usual fix is to swap over to the side USB ports -- but now even that is not working.

It could be that they downgraded my BIOS to 1.09 when they replaced the system board, but talk about insanely frustrating.

Options

68 Posts

09-07-2010

Cali

2863 Signins

3139 Page Views

• Views: 3139
  • Message 16 of 17

2010-09-14, 23:56 PM

lol, just got my W510 today... and out of the box USB ports did not and does not work.  When I first turned on my system for the first time got a ton of unrecognized USB driver errors.  After a while it settled down so I'm guessing it found the drivers.  Device Manager shows all ok now but still none of the USB ports work.  Tried my thumb drives and ext hard drives, can manage to at least get my thumb drive to light up for a moment if I put it in half way.

At least the problem happened straight out of the box so I know Lenovo screwed this one up.  I like the response about it being a Microsoft problem... it's more likely that it's because it's USB 3.0  But who knows, I mean Microsoft drivers for my other computers are fine so clearly it's a Microsoft issue -.- LOL

Options

2 Posts

10-24-2013

Pakistan

7 Signins

58 Page Views

• Views: 58
  • Message 17 of 17

2013-10-24, 5:17 AM

I am facing same problem my W510 (Lef 2 USB ) not working as i tried to change USB behavior in BIOS to Disbale->Always On . but it don't make any differance. 

please guide me how to solve ?????? 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete