Options

38 Posts

08-02-2008

Estonia

297 Signins

1563 Page Views

• Views: 1563
  • Message 1 of 7

UltraNav mouse pointer touchpad and enhanced settings diaog is lost after I've updated Windows

2014-03-06, 22:19 PM

When I've got my ThinkPad w530, there was (as usually at every ThinkPad laptop) UltaNav enhanced setting dialog (if I remember correctly, these settings resided at the last tab of OS mouse settings dialog - Control Panel -> Mouse). I have spent a lot of time to configure touchpad according to my needs.

But than I've updated my Windows 7 x64, as Microsoft recommended, and installed some hardware drivers and user applications... And at some moment I've suddenly discovered, that the touchpad and the stickpoint do not work anymore the way I've configured them. Yes, they work, but in the most basic default mode.

Furthermore, when I tried to look at the configuration dialog I had used before to configure them, I found, that this settings dialog is totally gone.

Now my Windows Control Panel mouse setting menu looks as the following screenshot:

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/1284/s0dd.gif

Is there any way to restore (re-activate) manually Lenovo UltraNav settings dialog for the touchpad and the stickpoint?

Many thanks in advance!

Solved! See the solution
Options

133 Posts

06-29-2008

AU

358 Signins

1617 Page Views

• Views: 1617
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: UltraNav mouse pointer touchpad and enhanced settings diaog is lost after I've updated Windows

2014-03-06, 23:44 PM
I believe you need to install the synaptics ultranav drivers:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS019164

This should give you the extra tab as shown:
http://imgur.com/ViJZXz7

I have a W540 so your experience may vary

Options

2508 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10974 Signins

59051 Page Views

• Views: 59051
  • Message 3 of 7

Re: UltraNav mouse pointer touchpad and enhanced settings diaog is lost after I've updated Windows

2014-03-07, 0:02 AM

^  Correct.  You need to [re-]install the latest Synaptics driver (16.2.19.13) from the Lenovo site as pointed to.

With Win7 x64, the Mouse Properties/Settings then looks like this:

Options

38 Posts

08-02-2008

Estonia

297 Signins

1563 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2014-03-07, 7:32 AM

2 adante

2 DSperber

You need to [re-]install the latest Synaptics driver (16.2.19.13) from the Lenovo site as pointed to...

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS019164

Thank you, I've tried to install it manually and it brought UltraNav mouse setting section back.

However another critical problem has appeared. I should have to note, that the most of time (when at work in my office) I use with my laptop the external ThinkPad UltraNav USB keyboard. I mean this device - http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-45868. As this model is quite old (and I was not able to find a more modern UltraNav keyboard model with NumPad block), it seems, that this device is not compatible with Lenovo Synaptics driver. 

After re-installing this software package the mouse middle button (MMB) of the stickpoint has totally stopped to work and I could not find any option to re-enable it. (The most curios the fact, that I can re-assign this MMB via the setting dialog in order to work instead of any other button, say, as another right or another left button or fulfill any of dozen special functions, which are listed there in the settings menu, e.g. minimize the current window etc. But it does not wish to work as the middle button itself without remapping. Well, as one can see, just the middle button function is highly needed, especially for scrolling and in browsers...)

Have no any idea, what to do :(

Options

2508 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10974 Signins

59051 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2014-03-07, 8:54 AM

Have you ever had this external keyboard working with Win7?  As you point out, this is a very old device.

According to the software/driver page for the device, it looks to me like it only has support through WinXP.  There doesn't appear to be a mention of current support in Win7 for this item.

The software for the W530 only seems applicable to the Synaptics touchpad in the Thinkpad itself, not to the external keyboard with touchpad.

Now there is a page for driver/software for this external UltraNav keyboard under Vista, which may possibly be usable with Win7.  You could try it I suppose, as if it's not applicable it just won't install itself.

If this Vista driver doesn't work it sounds like a phone call to Lenovo support is definitely appropriate.

NOTE: I found an article that said through trial and error it was determined that the latest v5kyb04us17.exe driver for Vista (named on the page I provided the link to) didn't work for Windows 8, but that a previous version v2kyb03us17.exe DID work for Windows 8!  The link to that older Vista driver is provided down at the bottom of the page for Vista drivers for the external keyboard.  No comments on usability of either version for Windows 7, so YMMV when trying either of these for Win7.

I'd try the most recent Vista version first under Win7, and if it doesn't work then give the prior version a try.  You might get lucky.   Nothing to lose.

Options

38 Posts

08-02-2008

Estonia

297 Signins

1563 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2014-03-07, 11:54 AM

wrote:

Have you ever had this external keyboard working with Win7?  As you point out, this is a very old device.

Hm... I use it just now while I'm writing this post at my ThinkPad w530 laptop under Windows 7 x64. It works OK in its basic functons, including all 5 buttons (2 buttons on + 3 buttons on stickpoint).

Even the MMB (middle mouse button) of stikcpoint had worked correct way too before I've installed the last version of Synaptics driver, as I stated in my previous post.

Thus you conclusion might not be 100% correct, when you state, that "The software for the W530 only seems applicable to the Synaptics touchpad in the Thinkpad itself, not to the external keyboard with touchpad." This driver does certainly interfer some way with external USB UltraNav workflow (although may be it should not do it by design, I don't know it.)

wrote:

Now there is a page for driver/software for this external UltraNav keyboard under Vista, which may possibly be usable with Win7.  You could try it I suppose, as if it's not applicable it just won't install itself.

NOTE: I found an article that said through trial and error it was determined that the latest v5kyb04us17.exe driver for Vista (named on the page I provided the link to) didn't work for Windows 8, but that a previous version v2kyb03us17.exe DID work for Windows 8!  The link to that older Vista driver is provided down at the bottom of the page for Vista drivers for the external keyboard.  No comments on usability of either version for Windows 7, so YMMV when trying either of these for Win7.

Thank you very much for these links! I'll try this Vista older driver for my Windows 7.. To avoid misunderstanding on my side, I'd like to ask again. Do you think, that this driver for external USB UltraNav keybouard will not interfere with in-build w530 UltraNav keybord work? Thus I have to install the both the latest driver for internal UltraNav and Vista driver for external UltraNav, right?

Options

2508 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10974 Signins

59051 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2014-03-07, 20:33 PM

wrote:

Thank you very much for these links! I'll try this Vista older driver for my Windows 7.. To avoid misunderstanding on my side, I'd like to ask again. Do you think, that this driver for external USB UltraNav keybouard will not interfere with in-build w530 UltraNav keybord work? Thus I have to install the both the latest driver for internal UltraNav and Vista driver for external UltraNav, right?

To be honest, I really have no firsthand knowledge of this external USB keyboard you use.  The only information I have been providing is what I picked up from your problem description and from searches on the Internet.

I thought it was you who said that after installing the latest Lenovo Synaptics driver for the W530 (same as I have) that while the laptop trackpad was now working correctly your external keyboard was NOT.  So I assumed that a second, separate, driver for the external keyboard was your solution.  There certainly IS a second driver for that keyboard as the several above links demonstrate.

Now the first link you provided to the Lenovo hardware description for the keyboard and related support items (including drivers) was very old as well, and only showed up through WinXP.  I then searched additionally and found the second page which provided Vista drivers for the keyboard... but again, no mention of Win7 or Win8.

And then finally, I discovered a blog post somewhere which mentioned that when trying to get the keyboard usable under Win8, the most current Vista driver did NOT work correctly, but the one version older DID work properly... for Win8. There was no mention of any conflict (or not) with the trackpad on the laptop itself, only that the external keyboard was now working properly with that -1 version of the Vista driver.

So I'm only passing along what info I've found myself.  Again, I have no real knowledge of the problem, or of this keyboard.  I only use the trackpad on my W530 when "on the road" in a true portable situation.

Otherwise, at ALL OTHER TIMES I use (a) external Lenovo portable/wireless USB mouse, and (b) external Lenovo portable USB keyboard which is the current English keyboard and has no trackpad.  Also, when not "on the road" I ALWAYS use my external 24" 1920x1200 desktop external monitor (connected via DP to the K1000M graphics in my W530) rather than using the laptop LCD screen.  So while I don't have a "dock", I pretty much use my W530 just as a computer with all other human interface peripherals external and virtually the same as if I had a true desktop machine.

So, you had originally said that the Lenovo Synaptics driver for the W530's trackpad made that piece work properly, but the trackpad on your external USB keyboard did not work as expected.  That's when I pursued the second separate driver for the keyboard itself and found the possible Vista driver solution, but I don't own that hardware so I can't try it for myself.

I'm afraid you're on your own here, but I'm suspecting installing the TWO separate drivers could work for you.  Please report back what results you get, so that others with a similar situation might benefit.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete