Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

03-03-2009

USA

15 Signins

314 Page Views

• Views: 314
  • Message 1 of 2

Unable to change or disable the KNOWN Hard disk password in BIOS

2009-03-03, 23:35 PM

Hello,

I am having few problems with my new TP W500.  I have enabled BitLocker Encryption in Vista Ultimate SP1 after I got my laptop and disabled it later. After a while I noticed that HD password option along with the passphrase option in the BIOS got grayed out and I cannot make any changes to the HD password. I know the HD password, system is booting up after I enter the HD password but very same password for the same hard disk is not working when I plug the Hard Disk into my TP T60p.

Called Lenovo support in Atlanta but they could not figure it out. They think HD got stuck encrypted eventhough I decrypted with BitLocker and formatted. Also called Hitachi and they don't have any idea about it. I also cleared and turned off the TPM in addition to clearing and disabling the security chip but  non of these actions were helpful to disable or change the KNOWN HD password. I wonder if reflashing the BIOS would solve it.

I would appreciate if anyone has an idea about this issue.

Thanks.

Answer
Options

10 Posts

03-03-2009

USA

15 Signins

314 Page Views

Re: Unable to change or disable the KNOWN Hard disk password in BIOS

2010-09-22, 18:30 PM

Just wanted to get back with this issue in case someone else is having the same problem. Lenovo finally decided to replace the mother board on my laptop and this issue finally got fixed. Now I am able to remove/change my hard disks passwords.

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

10 Posts

03-03-2009

USA

15 Signins

314 Page Views

• Message 2 of 2

Re: Unable to change or disable the KNOWN Hard disk password in BIOS

2010-09-22, 18:30 PM

Just wanted to get back with this issue in case someone else is having the same problem. Lenovo finally decided to replace the mother board on my laptop and this issue finally got fixed. Now I am able to remove/change my hard disks passwords.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms