Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

02-03-2009

Charlotte, NC

4 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 1 of 4

W500 Power Management Issues

2009-02-03, 16:56 PM
My new W500 has never gone into standyby mode properly.  My previous ThinkPads never had this problem, so I was surprised that something this simple would be such a problem.  All I want is for my laptop to go into standby automatically when I close the cover and come out of standby when I open the cover, no matter how long the cover is closed (like overnight).  I spent HOURS on the phone multiple times with Support on this.  Every person I spoke with had a differnet idea, none of which completely worked.  I have downloaded the latest power management drivers, but the problem still is there.  Has anyone out there conquered this problem?
Options

6 Posts

02-18-2009

UK

5 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: W500 Power Management Issues

2009-02-18, 22:10 PM

jsapien, I too am suffering with power management issues - despite selecting 'presentation' (timers off) the thing still locks itself after 10 minutes..

I'm on the phone in the morning to the powers that be (sic), but don't feel encouraged by your post.

I'm running a new W500 (4062 3CG) with Vista ultimate 32bit.

Options

5 Posts

02-03-2009

Charlotte, NC

4 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 3 of 4

2009-02-19, 16:11 PM

I have called Lenovo Support in Atlanta many times now.  Each time I speak to a different person and each person seems to have a different idea or understanding of how to address the problems I have encountered.  Our issues might be different since my W500 runs Windows XP.  That said, my unit arrived with several drivers that were not listed among the most the current set.  You might want to access the lenovo.com web site and enter the following in the search area (upper right of screen):  MIGR-70443.  This provides a document that will give you the entire list of drivers and their latest versions.  Among the drivers I had to update were power manager, power management driver, and Intel WiFi Link 5100.  The Lenovo Update utility does not provide updates to all the latest drivers, an oversight by Lenovo that needs to be repaired.  I am on my fifth ThinkPad laptop and I have never encountered problems like this before.  I am unhappy enough with this one that I will have to think long and hard before I buy another Lenovo product.  The only thing that gives me hope is that IBM is Lenovo's biggest customer and all IBM mobile employees use Lenovo laptops.  If IBM employees have issues like this, Lenovo will have to fix them or risk losing their biggest customer.

By the way, I seem to have "fixed" my power management issues (not going into Standby mode).  My current issue is my unit loses wifi intermittently and for no apparent reason.  When I try to log back on, the software cannot find my Linksys router.  But if I leave the unit alone for a bit, it fixes itself and logs back on.  Weird.

Options

6 Posts

02-18-2009

UK

5 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 4 of 4

2009-02-20, 13:36 PM

I managed to improve my wireless continuity with a driver update ; try

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=3062&lang=eng

and after much digging it seems that something as simple as a screen saver setting was over riding my 'timers off' power plan.

I agree with you, the quality of these w500's seems very poor compared with earlier models. I have far more keyboard flex than I'm happy with, and there doesn't seem to be an option to use OpenGL in Autocad. How they can call this a certified workstation I don't know.

best wishes, Mtb

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms