Options

71 Posts

08-26-2008

USA

72 Signins

1342 Page Views

• Views: 1342
  • Message 1 of 12

W500 Switchable Graphics not working-cannot access via battery icon-latest drivers installed

2012-07-25, 18:10 PM

System is a 4058CTO 2.53GHz dual core with Win Vista Business 64 bit OS at SP2.  Display is 1920X1200 and graphics adapters are ATI Mobility Radeon HD3650 and Mobile Intel 4 series express chipset family.

Was getting message that ATI adapter was disabled due to driver conflict.  Installed latest ATI driver (8.563.2.1000 listed on Lenovo site).  The ATI Catalyst Control Center lists the driver as 8.563.2.1-090401a-079160C Lenovo.  Date found in Device Manager is 4/1/2009.  Installed following the README instructions also on the Lenovo driver site.  Install completed successfully.  Can access the Catalyst Control Center from the desktop and get into Basic or Advanced mode.  Readme says to switch graphics I should mouse over the Battery Icon and select Switchable Graphics.  When I try that do not see switchable graphics on the popup  menu only Select a Power Plan, Learn how to conserve power, more power options, and Windows Mobility Center.

Power plan is set to HIGH PERFORMANCE and in BIOS the setting for the video adapter is set to SWITCHABLE GRAPHICS.

Device Manager says both adapters (ATI and Intel) are operating correctly.

What do I have to do to enable and use the switchable graphics?

Options

71 Posts

08-26-2008

USA

72 Signins

1342 Page Views

• Message 2 of 12

Re: W500 Switchable Graphics not working-cannot access via battery icon-latest drivers installed

2012-07-26, 12:14 PM

Can someone who has a W500 with Switchable Graphics please explain how it works?

Can I use the Catalyst control center to do this?

Is any other Lenovo specific software or the BIOS causing this problem?

Options

610 Posts

07-03-2009

AD

527 Signins

5517 Page Views

• Views: 5517
  • Message 3 of 12

Re: W500 Switchable Graphics not working-cannot access via battery icon-latest drivers installed

2012-07-26, 17:29 PM

Make sure you have the latest Power Manager driver. Then check this driver for Switchable graphics in Vista.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS002740

I would uninstall the current video driver and reboot letting Windows use its generic driver. Then install theSwitchable driver.

To switch graphic chips, right click the battery icon in the lower right and choose Switchable Graphics, then either High Performance (ATI Chip and Catalyst Control Center) or Energy Saving with the Intel Control Center.

Options

71 Posts

08-26-2008

USA

72 Signins

1342 Page Views

• Message 4 of 12

2012-07-26, 17:40 PM

I have installed the Switchable Graphics driver you provided in the link.  Since I never get the option of selecting Switchable Graphics at the battery icon i may NOT have the right POWER MANAGEMENT driver.  Where do I get that and how do I install it.

Options

414 Posts

07-19-2012

Raleigh, NC

222 Signins

14833 Page Views

• Views: 14833
  • Message 5 of 12

2012-07-26, 19:08 PM

Hello hgkaroley,

Below is a link to the power management driver that is for your computer.  Just click the link, click the download arrow to the right of the driver details and just follow the steps provided by the site.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014939

Hope this helps,

Alex

Was this or another post on the forum helpful? Click the star on the left side of the screen to give kudos! Did someone solve the problem you encountered? Click Solution Provided to let us know!

What we Do in Life will Echo through Eternity. -Maximus Aurelius
Options

71 Posts

08-26-2008

USA

72 Signins

1342 Page Views

• Message 6 of 12

2012-07-27, 0:52 AM

I downloaded and installed the latest version of the Power Manager.  I now have a horizontal battery icon showing percentage of charge and whether or not the system is charging. 

I also found the following posts on another forum.  I tried executing all of the steps and it has reinstalled the latest ATI drivers for both the ATI Radeon and the Intel graphics.  HOWEVER I still cannot switch graphics. When following the steps shown below the system did switch manually as was forced by BIOS options from one adapter to another.

There is still no link on the popup from the battery icon showing Switchable Graphics.  Device manager recognizes both adapters and they both look installed and normal.

Here is the set of steps I found and followed:  They are listed as coming from Lenovo Technical Support.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reinstalling the OS did not fix the problem for me. But Lenovo Tech Support had the solution, and it worked for me. The problem is a failed switchable graphics driver install, . You have to get rid of it manually by way of removing the faulty ati driver and then re-installing the broken driver, and then resetting the ati and intel drivers manually. Steps are:
1) download the switchable graphics driver from lenovo. do a search at the lenovo site for the file 7vd541ww.exe (152MB). save for later use. also print out the text file that accompanies that file (just below it on the web page). read the the instructions carefully!
2) manually uninstall the ati gpu driver, through ati uninstall utility in control panel software removal option. reboot.
3) boot into bios (via F1 in startup) choose config, then display, set "graphics device: switchable graphics” to “discrete graphics” and set “OS detection for switchable graphics” to “disabled”. save; continue. the system will boot into vista running under vga, and will look awful.
4) execute the downloaded driver 7vd541ww.exe. check where it has installed to (see installation text file, mentioned above). go there are run the setup.exe. follow instructions to the letter in the text file. reboot. ati should be up and running.
5) reboot to bios. choose config, then display , set "graphics device: switchable graphics” to “integrated graphics” and leave “OS detection for switchable graphics” “disabled”. save and continue.
6) vista will appear again in vga mode, but will start looking for intel driver. it will eventually install, and will ask for reboot. do so. intel driver will be running.
7) reboot to bios. choose config, then display , set "graphics device: switchable graphics” to “switchable graphics” and reset “OS detection for switchable graphics” to “enabled”. -or set bios to default (ie switchable graphics is default). save and continue.
8) you should now be able to use switchable graphics in vista, as both ati and intel drivers are properly installed properly.
that's as close as i can describe it. after a week of pain, it worked for me. good luck!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is missing here?  The Hardware seems to be there, the Catalyst for the ATI graphics recognized the ATI hardware.

What  software or BIOS settings allow the battery icon to give the Switchable Graphics option?

Options

414 Posts

07-19-2012

Raleigh, NC

222 Signins

14833 Page Views

• Message 7 of 12

2012-07-27, 14:18 PM

When you right click on the battery icon is there an option for the catalyst control center?

If there is one click on it and see if it works properly.

If not, the uninstall all the drivers associated with the graphics one at a time. uninstall, reinstall, uninstall, reinstall. This will make for a fun day.

Also once installed check the device manager for the drivers and see if the is a caution icon over or next to the driver names.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Was this or another post on the forum helpful? Click the star on the left side of the screen to give kudos! Did someone solve the problem you encountered? Click Solution Provided to let us know!

Options

610 Posts

07-03-2009

AD

527 Signins

5517 Page Views

• Views: 5517
  • Message 8 of 12

2012-07-27, 17:17 PM

When you installed the driver I previously listed, did you get an error message? You may want to check the Install log for the video driver install. The error I had was regarding the failed installation of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010. I found this package for Win7 x64 (vcredist_x64.exe), downloaded and installed it. After that the video driver worked fine.

Options

71 Posts

08-26-2008

USA

72 Signins

1342 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2012-07-28, 22:43 PM

Did all the above and no link to the Switchable Graphics from the battery icon.

Installed another harddisk internally.  Formatted a partition and installed Windows 7.

Downloaded Power Manager from Lenovo driver site.  Installed it.  Still no Switchable Graphics.

Noticed a seperate link on Power Manager software called Power Manager Driver.  Amazingly when you install the Power Manager it does not include the driver.  Downloaded Power Manager Driver,  Installed it.   Rebooted as per instructions.

Now Switchable Graphics appears when you right click on the battery and AC plug icon,  Previous icon was battery only without the right facing wall plug.  Right click on battery/plug icon,  Mouse over Switchable Graphics,  Mouse onto either

Energy Saving or High Performance and left click.  Volia  it switches to the other adapter.  Went to Control Panel but could not find Device Manager or a selection to go toe  the Classic view of the Control Panel..    What gives here????

Finally found a way to see the Display Adapter.  Funny thing.  When using the High Performance can see both the ATI and Intel adapters.  If using Energy Saving can only see the Intel Adapter.  Does switching to Energy Saving remove the adapter from the configuration?  When you go to High performance it reappears.

Now that I had it running under Windows 7 I put the original harddisk in a Ultrabay SATA disk carrier.   Shutdown and powered on,  Hit F12 to select boot device,  Picked the Windows Vista drive in the Ultrabay,

System came up as before with NO Switchable Graphics link at the battery icon. 

Went to Lenovo driver site and downloaded the Power Manager DRIVER as I did for Windows 7.

Installed it and rebooted.  Now the Switchable Graqphics link come up at the battery icon by right clicking just like it did for Windows 7.   Tried it and it works both ways. 

There should be an easier way to do this.  Wasted 2 days and a lot of hair pulling to get it working.

Thanks to all the suggestions from forum members.

Options

414 Posts

07-19-2012

Raleigh, NC

222 Signins

14833 Page Views

• Message 10 of 12

2012-07-31, 13:13 PM

That's no problem sorry we could not find the solution for you. But glad we could help.

Glad it helped,

Alex

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete