Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

02-12-2009

Richmond, VA

25 Signins

161 Page Views

• Views: 161
  • Message 1 of 5

W500 Switchable Graphics

2009-02-12, 14:16 PM

All,

Another question for the group, in my reading on the forums i have read that this laptop has switchable graphics between my ati ship and the Intel.  would somone please explain what this is and why i would want to switch from a good 3d card to intel?  I know i have to turn this off in bios if i want to load linux and i want to see what i will be losing.

Thanks in advance!

Options

52 Posts

10-21-2008

Nova Scotia, Canada

399 Signins

2394 Page Views

• Views: 2394
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: W500 Switchable Graphics

2009-02-12, 19:50 PM

I will venture a reply:

Generally speaking, a powerhouse Laptop with a discrete video card with gobs of it's own dedicated memory (such as the ATI FireGL V5700) = shorter time on battery power. A laptop with a intergated share-the-main-memory type of video generally equaltes to longer battery run times.

Until switchable graphics you had only the two choices. The video you needed for Workstation-type work and reduced battery runtime, of lesser video, more time. Now there is a third option - a sort of best of both worlds. Switchable graphics with both types of video cards. Hard at work, plugged into the wall, use the ATI. On the go with only "Lite" work of surfing at the coffee shop - switch to the Intel card.

A bit moot as Switchable is standard on the W500, but... If one were to pay extra, one would have to decide what percentage mix (on-the-go or plugged-in-desktop-replacement) one need. 50/50, maybe the the switchable is justified. 20 plugged/80 on-the-go - well maybe for the $$$ (if you were paying extra) you might go intergrated card and suffer your lumps the few times a heavy hitter card migh be useful

But again, moot with W500 as it is part of the package

JimL
W500 4085CTO Vista64/8GB/Solid Non-Flex keyboard
Options

65 Posts

03-13-2009

San Francisco, CA, USA

51 Signins

486 Page Views

• Views: 486
  • Message 3 of 5

2009-03-13, 0:31 AM

oldguy - In your signature you say you have a W500 with Vista64. Did it come preconfigured like that or did you set it up?

I just received my W500 and after installing a fresh copy of Vista64 (it came with Vista32), I'm having trouble figuring out how to access the switchable graphics. The lenovo instructions say to click on the battery-meter in the taskbar, but my lenovo power manager battery meter crashes when I click on it. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the power manager a few times, but it simply crashes. Any solution?

Options

52 Posts

10-21-2008

Nova Scotia, Canada

399 Signins

2394 Page Views

• Views: 2394
  • Message 4 of 5

2009-03-13, 2:01 AM

Came pre configured. I also have the XP downgrade CD's but was satisfied enough with Vista Bus 64 and AutoCAD I decided to stay with the 64 bit OS

Now, I can not help you with the crashinng with battery meter. I do and have switched when using on Battery - left-clicking actually

Using ver 2.41a

JimL
W500 4085CTO Vista64/8GB/Solid Non-Flex keyboard
Options

65 Posts

03-13-2009

San Francisco, CA, USA

51 Signins

486 Page Views

• Views: 486
  • Message 5 of 5

2009-03-13, 3:17 AM

Thanks for your response oldguy. 

I solved my battery meter crashing problem. I'm not sure what the issue was, but I uninstalled, reinstalled the power-mgmt driver, let it reboot, reinstalled the power manager, let it reboot, and it no longer crashes.

However, when I try to select high performance graphics it says "system cannot enable high performance graphics". I have a tip in another thread saying that I need to have SP1 installed for the switchable graphics to work, so I'm doing that now.

Sadly, when I ordered Vista Ultimate 64bit wasn't an option, or I would have preconfigured it that way. 

I havn't noticed unreasonable keyboard flex, did you do something special that causes you to list "solid non-flex keyboard", or are you just advertising against the flex-stories? The W500 spacebar does seem to make a prominant 'clonk' sound that 4 other thinkpad keyboards don't make, but it feels fine. (T43, X61s, X61t, USB travel keyboard)

David

working towards: W500/4GB/Vista64 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms