Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

02-16-2009

Montevideo - Uruguay

5 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 1 of 10

W500 and Broadband

2009-02-16, 22:55 PM

Hi Everybody!!!

I´m goint to buy a w500 notebook and I have question about Integrated Mobile Broadband.

I would like to know what does it means and how can I use it.

I think this is to insert a Sim Card so I can connect to internet via 3g.

I also would like to know if I can use it outside USA with a Sim Card from my country. If I can... Which option should I choose?

What is the Integrated Mobile Broadband Upgradable?

Thank you very much for your help!!

Marcelo

Options

921 Posts

11-26-2008

Norway

8089 Signins

59129 Page Views

• Views: 59129
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: W500 and Broadband

2009-02-17, 22:30 PM

Integrated mobile broadband means exactly what you say. You can insert a sim card and connect via 3g and instead of a USB or some other kind of adapter it's built into the laptop. You can also use it outside on the US. I got a W500 with the integrated mobile broadband and use it in Europe. I'm not sure about the standards in your country though so not sure what option you should chose, but i'm sure someone else got the answer for that one.

With Integrated Mobile Broadband Upgradable the computer got everything built into the computer except the PCI express adapter that is required for using the mobile broadband. Everything else (built-in antenna and the sim card reader) that is required to use mobile broadband is built-in. If you buy a Thinkpad that is "Integrated Mobile Broadband Upgradable" you can buy this adapter separately and it's pretty easy to insert. The price for the PCI express adapter where i live is about $70 so not that expensive. I had to buy it separately because the W500 i picked i couldn't find a model on stock with the broadband adapter included.

Options

6 Posts

01-27-2009

Israel

12 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 3 of 10

2009-02-25, 12:07 PM

hi.

I myself was looking into this, but you reply consuded me.

you said that " With Integrated Mobile Broadband Upgradable the computer got everything built into the computer"and then you said, "except the PCI express adapter that is required for using the mobile broadband" so i'm puzzeld.if you have the antenna, and you have the sim reader, and you put in the sim (where the battery is if i'm not mistaken),whas the PCI express adapter for???

why would you need it if you have already everything you could possibly need built in.

can you help me with this?

thanks.

Options

47 Posts

11-06-2008

Denmark

2602 Signins

3351 Page Views

• Views: 3351
  • Message 4 of 10

2009-02-25, 12:13 PM

Consider it the "modem"-part of it.

I got the Ericsson (don't know if there are other brands out there) and this card along with the wwan modem part, also had gps. Wich apparantly uses the same antennas. So after I bought this pci-express card and installed it (it was 200$ approx here in DK) I could get my mobile broadband up and running, and also have the option to use gps with M$ autoroute.

Before I had a usb dongle for the mobile broadband, and a bluetooth adapter for the gps signal, those parts I have now retired, grand! :D

oh and btw. When I bought the W500 and read about the sim card slot, I assumed it was ready to go when I inserted my simcard, but obviously it wasn't. But I guess it's possible to get a model where it is included already, or otherwise as was already written, it's pretty easy to install yourself if you have ever tried exchanging/adding rams to a notebook for example.

Message Edited by OrosAraba on 25-02-2009 01:16 PM
Options

6 Posts

01-27-2009

Israel

12 Signins

47 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2009-02-25, 12:47 PM

wow. its really dispaoitning i must say... beacuse,

first, THE most uncomfertable slot ever. located behind the battery... its a disaster. tiny slot and stuff, really, i hate it. if you have one sim card for the phone and for the computer, you have to go through a lot to put it in.. and once its in, its not easy to get it out... arrrrrr.

second, youll be better of with neither of the sim slot and the antenna, beacuse the market offers you with usb connection devices that have antenna+simcard+3G +modem (all in one small package) and it cost about 200!!! or even less.

check out this links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbq_PWXLQco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efhfiUReFx0

what you think?

Options

47 Posts

11-06-2008

Denmark

2602 Signins

3351 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2009-02-26, 9:46 AM

Well, I see your problem if you have to switch your SIM from your phone to your laptop and back. But I have a dedicated SIM for my mobile broadband, so once it is in there, I don't have to take it out.

But I too was a bit surprised about both placement and handle of the SIMcard slot. The little plastic "slide" in there I nearly yanked it out at first glance, thinking it was just there "until" you inserted a SIM. Sort of like a protection sleeve. But it is in fact the "eject utility". That said, it's pretty hard to grasp how that ever got beyond the idea to actual production. Surely, better options exist out there. The usb-dongle I have not stopped using, (it is kinda annoying having some thing plugged in the side of the laptop if you are on the go, and on the go is where you'd usually need the mobile broadband, so I'm glad I can ditch my usbdongle now) had a small tray where the SIM was inserted in. HUAWEI E220 i think it was called. But that was pretty easy inserting and taking out. Even compared to the video you linked, notice how the user has to actually use his nail on the simcard to get it properly inserted.

The Ericsson card that I got for 200$ also had GPS built in to it btw. And I've been carrying a bluetooth GPS receiver with me for some time now, I could then retire that unit as well. So I have 2 less "toys" with me in my laptop bag now. Well worth it imo. Buying a GPS receiver alone would most likely cost you about 50-100$, but then again, if you have no need for it then....

oh, and last pro I can think of. When I need to use the WWAN on the road, I simply go to my access connections and chose the WWAN connection and it connects from there. I don't have to insert the usb, wait for it to be recognized properly, before starting 3rd party software, most likely having to insert a PIN for the SIM, then to be able to connect. I'm all for eez mode rather than save a few bucks mode :)

Message Edited by OrosAraba on 26-02-2009 10:49 AM
Message Edited by OrosAraba on 26-02-2009 10:52 AM
Options

39 Posts

01-08-2009

Islamabad, PK

166 Signins

752 Page Views

• Views: 752
  • Message 7 of 10

2009-03-07, 11:08 AM
I didn't configure my W500 with the mobile broadband wireless wan card from AT&T/Verizon but thought I'd go ahead and buy the AT&T one now.

1. Can someone help me out on some installation instructions?

2. Will the card be locked or unable to use anything other than the AT&T network?

3. Will I be able to use the Think Vantage GPS?

4. Are there any advantages at getting a card for the side PCI slot instead of installing this card inside?

Thanks.
Rizwan A. Alvi
http://rizwanalvi.com
Options

6 Posts

01-27-2009

Israel

12 Signins

47 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2009-03-07, 11:58 AM

Hi.

OrosAraba,

I'm not sure if its rude or anything, but, can you add some photos of the card you use, i know its strange, but i really want to see how it looks before i buy one... and you use a card inserted on the side?

oh and one last thing, i'm not from the states, will this card work on any service? (we dont have AT&T here, we do have alternatives like "orange/cellcom/pelephone"... will it work with them?)

Options

47 Posts

11-06-2008

Denmark

2602 Signins

3351 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2009-03-07, 14:58 PM

Take a peak at this ebay add. It has some good pictures of both hardware and software.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lenovo-Ericsson-F3507g-3G-BROADBAND-HSDPA-WWAN-UNLOCKED_W0QQitemZ140304188555QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090227?IMSfp=TL090227111009r14101

You should be able to enter your providers specific specs to get going on any network really.

I use a card similar to the one in the ebay auction, and it was pretty simple to insert following the instructions that came with the card. Allthou I have previously been in and out of my previous T40 installing bluetooth, making my own custom antenna for it etc :)

Message Edited by OrosAraba on 07-03-2009 03:59 PM
Options

6 Posts

01-27-2009

Israel

12 Signins

47 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2009-03-07, 22:10 PM

it is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Thank you very much...

btw, if we are engaging this conversation anyway, why not ask you this: I have windows vista home installed on my w500... since you seem to be familiar with computer, can you tell me if I can install windows XP? and, if i can fomrat the drive C: without formating all the lenovo other partitions... thanks. I know its "off topic" but what the heck.. :) 

Thanks.

Ira.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms