Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

08-04-2020

Afghanistan

21 Signins

190 Page Views

• Views: 190
  • Message 1 of 5

W510 Battery calibration with Microsoft ACPI drivers not correct.

2020-08-04, 16:05 PM

Hi,

I have  a W510 running splendidly on Windows 10 Pro Edition May update, and only have an issue with the Battery life detected by the system. the wear level keeps magically increasing despite charging it correctly . I ensure that I don't run the laptop with the battery plugged in when not required, and recharge within the 5% threshold.  Since the battery pack is almost brand new, I am convinced Microsoft ACPI is woefully inaccurate, or there is a compatible power manager driver issue still persisting from the earlier versions. 

I currently get about 45 minutes officially, that is after under clocking the processor, lowering brightness, enabling powersaver , modifying the max cpu power to 70% and enabling the "maximium battery " mode in the legacy BIOS (no uefi option).

The interesting part  is that after disabling the Microsoft ACPI in device manager, the laptop goes another hour! without any heating or any other issues.

In an effort to get to the bottom of this, i have tried:

1. Calibrating the battery using the gauge reset option in the lenovo power manager v6, (by removing the hardblock by installing windows adk) No difference, in fact, the health deteriorated by a point. 
  2. Calibrating using the deep cycle method [full charge , cooldown , discharge ,cooldown , full recharge  ] . No luck whatsoever.
  3. Calibrating by full charge, full discharge, disabling MicACPI at 5% and running to find the true shutdown level (about half an hour later on full brightness), and then  quickly starting the recharge with acpi reenabled. This approach worked splendidly the first 5 to 6 times, but is no longer working. I don't want to keep trying it for obvious reasons. Thankfully the inbuilt bms on the batteries save it from a full discharge.
  4. Calibration using the  power manager drivers for windows 10, using lenovo vantage, systems dependency check and systems interface framework installed.. This was in an effort to get the compatible battery gauge reset drivers installed. It resulted in a lot of software which was difficult to uninstall. Sigh.

My understanding is that there's a chip on the mboard, that communicates the status to an identical chip on the battery bms which is where things are going askew.

My question is simply ...Is there any other option? This is my third original battery pack, and I still really enjoy using the machine.

Options

11 Posts

08-04-2020

Afghanistan

21 Signins

190 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

Re:W510 Battery calibration with Microsoft ACPI drivers not correct.

2020-08-05, 13:00 PM

As a followup,  I found a readme file here, in the EOL section for the w510, iterating a similar bug identified earlier, but i'm unable to implement the fix. There are so many updates and revisions that I suspect that I have muddled the whole sequence up. 

The file states,

"This battery firmware update utility fixes an issue where the battery indicates an incorrect full charge capacity value. Because of this error, the amount of energy available for use is artificially low, decreasing the amount of time the system can be used on battery. The battery firmware update requires certain dependencies on BIOS and Power Management driver, and this package also makes sure that the dependencies are met before attempting the battery firmware update. See the NOTES section for more details. For information about the battery firmware update itself, see the readme file for the battery firmware update, 6ifu13ww.txt."

When I attempt to install the fix, the update utility says that the firmware does not need updating.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks in advance.

Options

11 Posts

08-04-2020

Afghanistan

21 Signins

190 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

Re:W510 Battery calibration with Microsoft ACPI drivers not correctly configured.

2020-08-08, 19:28 PM

What are you initial thoughts guys? Any ideas?

Options

12454 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40598 Signins

428719 Page Views

• Views: 428719
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-08-10, 7:07 AM

There probably isn't a recent firmware update for a battery of that age.  There MAY be some original batteries available for the T430/530 models, which are compatible, but most of what I see are fakes

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

11 Posts

08-04-2020

Afghanistan

21 Signins

190 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2020-08-10, 20:37 PM

Hi there Richk,

Thanks for sharing. Actually i forgot to mention, that the batteries are not exactly old. Since I too suspected that some retailers were peddling duplicates, and the originals were not lasting, and newer tech is readily available, I decided to upgrade the batteries. :)

I found the model number of the old ones, googled a matching current and voltage, ordered an original 50+ from the local service center (mainly for the BMS) and re soldered 6 brand new 18650 cells (3350mah ) from a 20100 mah Anker powercore powerbank. This was mainly to match the voltage discharge rates of the original 2200 mah cells pictured below.

The new ones details are as follows from the specification sheet mentioned below from its battery type number.

I figured a 3.63V in the new vs 3.7V from the old would be close enough. My understanding is that the Li-ion cells have a variable current discharge rate anyway so the current difference wouldn't be too much of an issue. The BMS is supposed to do the rest.

This was done with some know how from this guy:

and this guy too:

After resoldering the batteries, the pack initially registered 50% battery health, and then each successive cycle added about 2981 mwhrs to the reported fully charged capacity. This however peaked at 101% of the designed capacity of 51.322 mWHrs. I was anticipating an increase in the fully charged capacity to about 130-140% of the design capacity . 

The basis is 3250 Mah*3.63V*2 parallel *3 sets= 70.8mWHrs. This should register in the BMS as a fully charged capacity of 137% of the design capacity.

The project now yields about 3 hours on standby as per batteryreport, which I though was pretty impressive considering that the model has been known to have heating issues. However, I have to disable the ACPI at around 45 minutes to an hour of runtime to avoid shutdown (the system thinks, the true critical level of 5% has been reached). Thereafter it runs for about and hour or more before conking off.

In an effort to get the calibration right, I made the mistake of installing the system dependency framework, power manager etc, from the EOL database. This thoroughly muddled things up. The matter was further complicated as there is a hardblock on the lenovo PM application  in Win10.  Getting around it using ADK got the application installed (it didn't make the reported capacity approach the real value), but on uninstall, the setup is rerun, and throws an error message , saying "This application cannot be run in Windows". So now i cannot uninstall the PM v7.

Thats when I decided to check with the community.

Any thoughts on how i should proceed?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms