Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

11-18-2010

USA

8 Signins

57 Page Views

• Views: 57
  • Message 21 of 27

Re: Another W510 with 2 dimm slots..

2010-11-19, 13:57 PM
GMAC_R60

your quote of the specs are key! bullet point 5, "Supports up to 8GB (for T510) or 16GB (for W510) maximum memory"

it should read (if we wanted to not have to find out the hard way)
"Supports up to 8GB (for T510 and Dual Core W510) or 16GB (for Quad core W510) maximum memory
"

But the only way to figure out what you will actually get, is to guess that the configuratior blocks 16gigs of ram from the dual core W510's because of a hardware difference.. Which is a stretch given how often the same hardware combinations are blocked from configuratiors at Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc not because of hardware but because they want to shape the market of a specific combination of processors, ram, video, harddrives..

Its tricky and its not obvious and even Lenovos sales team is confused about it.. And the fact the same Machine part has two different notherboards? really! Couldn't Lenovo have just made the Dual cores 4320's (there are already 19s) ... Its not rocket science why there is confusion.

:-)

Josh
Options

325 Posts

10-26-2008

Los Angeles

539 Signins

7524 Page Views

• Views: 7524
  • Message 22 of 27

2010-11-20, 0:14 AM

Josh, Mark_Lenovo, the guy who's in charge of the forums here, should now (or very soon) be aware of this problem, and I hope that he'll pop up in our discussion to confirm that Lenovo is working to solve it. Since it's currently Friday evening, we probably won't hear anything until sometime next week.

To my knowledge, there's no standard solution for customers who bought the dual-core W510 based on assurances from Sales that it has 4 memory slots (even though it only has 2). So, as fas as I know, you'll have to work that out with Lenovo, and perhaps Mark will help you with that.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck. I have no connection with Lenovo, other than being a customer (W700) like yourself.

Options

8 Posts

11-18-2010

USA

8 Signins

57 Page Views

• Message 23 of 27

2010-11-22, 15:07 PM

I'll wait and see what happens, I tried about 5 times on Friday to get a hold of my sales rep to no avail (.. And at this point I was told, I would "have to wait for him" to do a return or face a 15% restocking fee???? (Although one sales rep said they would take care of it for me if my sales rep continued to be non-responsive).

Perhaps I am especially sensitive to the undocumented change in spec because I'm one of *those* T61p guys that bought it for the SATA-II only to find out (after installing a very nice SSD drive) that the SATAII was undocumentedly neutered to SATA-I speeds.

So this is the second lenovo product I've gotten that one of its key components was undocumentedly cut in half.. At least this time, hopefully, lenovo will make it right and I can return this w510 dual for a w510 quad... But needless to say, I am a bit miffed and my trust in anything lenovo publishes is severly damaged.

Josh

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 24 of 27

2010-11-23, 20:44 PM

Jimbo,

Thanks - I've noted this for the web sales / marketing team and am awaiting their actions on this - thanks for the PMs!

Josh,

Check the wording on the returns policy.  The first sentence notes that the return fee can be waived in the case of Lenovo error - if an agent specifically told you that the model you were ordering has 4 slots and in fact it has 2, I would think that constitutes a Lenovo error.    If you can give it another day or two, let's see if your rep can resolve it for you.   Beyond that, you can also escalate and ask that a formal complaint be opened and obtain advocacy and review that way.  

If you are still stuck tomorrow, please send me a PM - I'll try to arrange some help.  I'll need your order number and contact information.  Sorry about this!

Returns and refunds

"Lenovo will accept the return or exchange of a Product in its original package for a full refund in cases of Lenovo error (*see gift card policy below). Returns allowed for any other reason will be subject to a restocking fee equal to 15% of the purchase amount (*see gift card policy below). All returns must be initiated within 21 days of the invoice date. Lenovo does not provide refunds or credits for portions of a packaged offering provided at a single price or for preloaded software Products installed by Lenovo. To initiate a return, contact 1-866-428-4465 to obtain an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization). Any authorized return must include the Product and all accessories in the original packaging, along with all documentation (including invoice, RMA and original shipping label), and must be received at the Lenovo National Return Center within 10 days of obtaining the RMA. Returns that do not follow these steps may be refused by Lenovo, and customer assumes risk of loss and damage for packages returned without an RMA.

If you acquired a software Product separate from a hardware Product, and paid a license fee, you may return the software Product in its original, sealed package within 21 days of the date of invoice and obtain a refund or credit, if you do not agree to the license terms provided with the software Product.

*Gift Cards are not returnable, redeemable for cash, or replaceable if lost or stolen."

Options

8 Posts

11-18-2010

USA

8 Signins

57 Page Views

• Message 25 of 27

2010-11-23, 21:47 PM

My sales rep did finally get back to me.. He was able to work something out that got me in a comparably equipped quad without extra money having to change hands.. But that was at his (and his managers) digression..

However, I do think there is a system level failing here and that if there is anything lenovo should take away from this is that they need to keep their sales team and sales documentation up to date with their product offerings.. If the offering changes, then BEFORE they start building and stocking new hardware, spend the $$$ and time to update & publish new specs to the website.. It will save Lenovo money and their customers headaches, and Marketing people LOVE to spin feature changes, so let them spin them! :-)

Josh

Options

51 Posts

09-27-2010

U.S.A.

42 Signins

774 Page Views

• Views: 774
  • Message 26 of 27

W510 - the resolution that I got; I was satisfied

2010-11-24, 0:13 AM

Josh ... glad that you got resolution.  I started this thread and am sorry that it has become confusing for some.  I promised my two sales people that I would not disclose exactly what my resolution was but it was satisfactory to me.  While I would have preferred to have 4 dimm slots which would give me the greatest options for my Ram upgrrade path, I settled on a solution with sales that had me retain my machine with 2 slots; I got some money refunded; and I got the Windows 7 recovery media which according to my understanding should have been included with my original shipment.  In retrospect, I probably could have gotten more out of Lenovo for what is their mis-leading information, but I didn't want to be punitive.  In comparision to my experience with a Dell laptop 5 years ago, I'd say that the resolution with Lenovo was fair and the resolution took less than 20 minutes to negotiate.  With Dell it was at least 5 calls, 8 emails, several weeks of promises, and in the end I felt "cheated."  I did not get anything close to what I'd consider fair and in addition they wasted alot of my time implying that they could be more flexible if I provided more information or were just patient.

It is clear to me that Lenovo in many areas is an octopus and that no two arms know what the other is doing at the same time.  While sales was dismayed at the conflicting, confusing, inaccurate, and mis-leading information that is on the website in prominient places and while I was assured that this would be addressed and remdedied at a higher level.  I have not seen any progress in this regard.  I am not holding my breath.

Edward

Options

1 Posts

09-18-2011

United State

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 27 of 27

Re: W510: Lenovo has only made 2 of 4 dimm slots available - what to do?

2011-09-18, 3:47 AM

thanks for your advice,I will use 4GB 1333MHz.memory.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)