Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

2375 Posts

04-20-2008

United States of America

19571 Signins

111131 Page Views

  • Posts: 2375
  • Registered: ‎04-20-2008
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 111131
  • Message 1 of 12

W520 Booting VERY Fast

2013-01-28, 0:34 AM

I've recently updated some of the drivers/programs (Password Manager, Access Connections, HotKey Integration) on my W520 and a significant update of Norton Internet Security 2013. The system had been taking about 40-50 seconds from the initial cursor a usable desktop. Now it is taking about 27 seconds to a usable desktop. I'm really not sure when this all changed, but I believe it was after I installed Access Connections 5.98, Has anyone else experienced this speedup? Not that I'm complaining, but it would be nice to know.

 

Thanks


P53 XEON 2276 BIOS 1.31 OLED UHD 4K Multi-touch display, 96GB RAM, RTX5000, RAID 1, 1TB x 2 Samsung PM981, 1TB PM981, WWAN
P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.35, 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.36,Xeon Processor, 4k UHD IPS multi-touch display, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1

I am not an employee nor an agent of Lenovo.
Reply
Options

2483 Posts

04-08-2011

United States of America

5471 Signins

46460 Page Views

  • Posts: 2483
  • Registered: ‎04-08-2011
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 46460
  • Message 2 of 12

Re: W520 Booting VERY Fast

2013-01-28, 3:22 AM

I thought you were running RAID SSD.  40-50 seconds is a long time if that is the case.

 

Does your machine show the Lenovo logo at POST?  How long does it take from the time you hit the power button to the time the logo disappears?  Just curious.

Reply
Options

8 Posts

10-16-2012

Australia

30 Signins

156 Page Views

  • Posts: 8
  • Registered: ‎10-16-2012
  • Location: Australia
  • Views: 156
  • Message 3 of 12

Re: W520 Booting VERY Fast

2013-01-28, 4:33 AM

I beleive it is Windows 8 Hybrid Boot.

 

Read these for more information:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/08/delivering-fast-boot-times-in-windows-8.aspx

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/152937-what-is-hybrid-boot-in-windows-8-and-how-does-it-work/

 

Reply
Options

2375 Posts

04-20-2008

United States of America

19571 Signins

111131 Page Views

  • Posts: 2375
  • Registered: ‎04-20-2008
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 111131
  • Message 4 of 12

Re: W520 Booting VERY Fast

2013-01-28, 10:40 AM

wrote:

I thought you were running RAID SSD.  40-50 seconds is a long time if that is the case.

 

Does your machine show the Lenovo logo at POST?  How long does it take from the time you hit the power button to the time the logo disappears?  Just curious.


I'm running Windows 7 Pro-64, Samsung 830 512gb (no RAID).  

 

Here my current average timings:

 

FPR swipe to splash screen to OS boot cursor: ~10 seconds

OS boot cursor to Windows login: ~13 seconds

Windows login (FPR swipe - auto) to desktop : ~6 seconds

 

Total power on (FPR swipe) to desktop: ~29 seconds

 

 


P53 XEON 2276 BIOS 1.31 OLED UHD 4K Multi-touch display, 96GB RAM, RTX5000, RAID 1, 1TB x 2 Samsung PM981, 1TB PM981, WWAN
P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.35, 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.36,Xeon Processor, 4k UHD IPS multi-touch display, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1

I am not an employee nor an agent of Lenovo.
Reply
Options

2483 Posts

04-08-2011

United States of America

5471 Signins

46460 Page Views

  • Posts: 2483
  • Registered: ‎04-08-2011
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 46460
  • Message 5 of 12

Re: W520 Booting VERY Fast

2013-01-28, 17:34 PM

On our T430s with Win7 Ult x64, 16GB RAM, 256GB Samsung Series 830 SSD it takes 23 seconds from the time I press the power button to reach the desktop and show the active network icon.  The account is automatically logged on because it has a null password at the moment.  Windows 8 Pro x64 is a couple of seconds faster but not much (fast start is disabled).

 

Your 29 seconds seems pretty normal to me especially not know what is installed and may have a stub starting up at Windows startup. 

 

The 40-50 seconds definitely seemed like something was blocking on boot.  The only way to know for sure is to run a trace and analyze it. Whatever the problem was, it sounds like it is now resolved by an update.

Reply
Options

2375 Posts

04-20-2008

United States of America

19571 Signins

111131 Page Views

  • Posts: 2375
  • Registered: ‎04-20-2008
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 111131
  • Message 6 of 12

Re: W520 Booting VERY Fast

2013-01-29, 0:45 AM

wrote:

On our T430s with Win7 Ult x64, 16GB RAM, 256GB Samsung Series 830 SSD it takes 23 seconds from the time I press the power button to reach the desktop and show the active network icon.  The account is automatically logged on because it has a null password at the moment.  Windows 8 Pro x64 is a couple of seconds faster but not much (fast start is disabled).

 

Your 29 seconds seems pretty normal to me especially not know what is installed and may have a stub starting up at Windows startup. 

 

The 40-50 seconds definitely seemed like something was blocking on boot.  The only way to know for sure is to run a trace and analyze it. Whatever the problem was, it sounds like it is now resolved by an update.


Yes, I'm not sure what changed. It could be the NIS 2013 revised its services to not block Windows services, or it could have been the new password manager. Regardless, the new normal is very welcome. BTW, the 40-50 seconds had been this way since 2011. Not even the installation of the 830 speeded things up much for boot.


P53 XEON 2276 BIOS 1.31 OLED UHD 4K Multi-touch display, 96GB RAM, RTX5000, RAID 1, 1TB x 2 Samsung PM981, 1TB PM981, WWAN
P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.35, 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.36,Xeon Processor, 4k UHD IPS multi-touch display, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1

I am not an employee nor an agent of Lenovo.
Reply
Options

2483 Posts

04-08-2011

United States of America

5471 Signins

46460 Page Views

  • Posts: 2483
  • Registered: ‎04-08-2011
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 46460
  • Message 7 of 12

Re: W520 Booting VERY Fast

2013-01-29, 2:51 AM

My money is on the password manager.  A trace will show you graphically.  If you are so inclined, do some research on ETL boot traces.  It is a toolset usually used by the OEMs for performance tuning.

Reply
Options

581 Posts

07-09-2009

USA

3065 Signins

12669 Page Views

  • Posts: 581
  • Registered: ‎07-09-2009
  • Location: USA
  • Views: 12669
  • Message 8 of 12

Re: W520 Booting VERY Fast

2013-01-30, 3:31 AM

wrote:

I've recently updated some of the drivers/programs (Password Manager, Access Connections, HotKey Integration) on my W520 and a significant update of Norton Internet Security 2013. The system had been taking about 40-50 seconds from the initial cursor a usable desktop. Now it is taking about 27 seconds to a usable desktop. I'm really not sure when this all changed, but I believe it was after I installed Access Connections 5.98, Has anyone else experienced this speedup? Not that I'm complaining, but it would be nice to know.

 

Thanks


I installed the new Power Manager and HotKey Integration and yes, it seems to boot faster.

 

(I don't use  Access Connection and have not updated Norton recently).

 

EDIT: I take it back. I jsut timed it and it took 45 seconds. (7 seonds to the Lenovo Screen 7 more sec to the Intel RAID screen, 20 more seconds to the WIndows logo and 11 seonds to get the desktop)

 

_______________________________________________________________________
W520 4270CTO i7-2820QM Quadro2000M 1920x1080 Display 16GB RAM 2x240GB Intel 510 SSDs (RAID 0) - BIOS 1.42 - PCMark7:4,568
Samsung Series 9 15-inch NP900X4C-A03US - PCMark7: 4674
Reply
Options

2375 Posts

04-20-2008

United States of America

19571 Signins

111131 Page Views

  • Posts: 2375
  • Registered: ‎04-20-2008
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 111131
  • Message 9 of 12

Re: W520 Booting VERY Fast

2013-02-24, 21:34 PM

The program change that enabled the faster boot is the HotKey Integration package. The Password Manager 4.2 and the Power Manager 6.40 had no effect on the boot time. The only applications updated by the package installer was the On Screen Display and the Patch Utility.


P53 XEON 2276 BIOS 1.31 OLED UHD 4K Multi-touch display, 96GB RAM, RTX5000, RAID 1, 1TB x 2 Samsung PM981, 1TB PM981, WWAN
P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.35, 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.36,Xeon Processor, 4k UHD IPS multi-touch display, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1

I am not an employee nor an agent of Lenovo.
Reply
Options

525 Posts

03-11-2009

Chicago, IL

300 Signins

14180 Page Views

  • Posts: 525
  • Registered: ‎03-11-2009
  • Location: Chicago, IL
  • Views: 14180
  • Message 10 of 12

Re: W520 Booting VERY Fast

2013-03-02, 16:59 PM

Getting rid of rapidboot also can significantly improve your boot times. Prior to removing it my usb keyboard and mouse always had a 20-30 second delay before they would respond when booting. This delay is gone. I also had issues with slow network startup, this problem was also resolved.

Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms