Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

02-02-2019

Poland

11 Signins

94 Page Views

• Views: 94
  • Message 1 of 2

W520 LCD backlight is constantly on with external monitor

2019-02-02, 16:28 PM

I'm using W520 with external monitor connected to VGA as my main monitor, the ThinkPad LCD is disabled in settings. 

After an unsuccesfull attempt to configure Nvidia drivers on Linux I started up my Windows 7 Pro 64, which worked normally before and noticed, that my LCD backlight is constantly on, even though my external monitor is connected through VGA and set as my only display in settings.

The laptop shows Windows boot animation on internal LCD as allways and when the system starts, the ThinkPad LCD instead of completely turning off dimmers backlight a bit and stays blank. 

Turning on and off the internal LCD by Fn+F7 combination helps, but after reboot problem presists.

After disabling integrated GPU in BIOS everything is normal, it happens only on Nvidia Optimus mode. 

I removed Lninux from my computer, reinstalled Nvidia and Intel drivers on Windows, reinstalled windows, but nothing changed. 

Options

156 Posts

08-02-2018

United States of America

136 Signins

585 Page Views

• Views: 585
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: W520 LCD backlight is constantly on with external monitor

2019-02-27, 18:41 PM

Hi askass! Welcome to Community Forums.

Does the issue happen when switching to the external display manually via Windows Key+P > then choose External Display? Try using the stock Optimus Display Driver from https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-W-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-W520/downloads/DS014142

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms