Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 11 of 33

Re: W520 Video Driver Support

2013-02-25, 23:24 PM
uninstall the latest nvidia driver you have from the windows, and then download the nvidia optimus driver from lenovo website. The latest nvidia driver have compatibility issues with the ThinkPad W520 and W530.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 12 of 33

2013-02-25, 23:40 PM

wphaskett,

Sorry to see that some of your exchanges with support have left you feeling disappointed.   In general terms, there may be things that should work, can work, or can be made to work, yet aren't officially supported as Thor suggests.

Official support is for the factory preload that came with the system.  Reasonable support efforts are often extended to help with alternate versions of the OS that was otherwise qualified and offered for the system.   Installing OEM versions of drivers (from Nividia directly, for example) do not void the warranty, but are outside of what support can assist with.  

By installing a factory preload and using the appropriate drivers from the support site, you are operating a configuration that should work, was qualified to work, and if does not work, provides support an escalation path to engineering and development for a solution.  

Your situation with the external display sounds familiar.  Did you work with Garrett on this previously?

If Win 7 ultimate 64 was a qualified OS for this system and you are running the latest lenovo BIOS and video drivers and are still having trouble, we can set up a technical escalation.   Let me know if you'd like to pursue this, and I'm happy to help.  I'll need some of your contact info, system MT and Serial via private message for the case.

Thanks, 

Mark

Options

2377 Posts

04-20-2008

United States of America

19598 Signins

111321 Page Views

• Views: 111321
  • Message 13 of 33

2013-02-26, 1:05 AM

wrote:
uninstall the latest nvidia driver you have from the windows, and then download the nvidia optimus driver from lenovo website. The latest nvidia driver have compatibility issues with the ThinkPad W520 and W530.

I'm currently running the NVIDIA drivers 314.07 without any issues. The Intel driver level is 9.17.10.2932. Works fine with multiple monitors on my dock plus the graphics engine is significantly faster for the Quadro 2000M. My WEI scores became significantly higher after the installation.

YMMV

P53 XEON 2276 BIOS 1.31 OLED UHD 4K Multi-touch display, 96GB RAM, RTX5000, RAID 1, 1TB x 2 Samsung PM981, 1TB PM981, WWAN
P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.35, 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.36,Xeon Processor, 4k UHD IPS multi-touch display, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1

I am not an employee nor an agent of Lenovo.
Options

5 Posts

09-07-2011

Croatia

339 Signins

751 Page Views

• Views: 751
  • Message 14 of 33

2013-03-01, 23:52 PM

wrote:

I'm currently running the NVIDIA drivers 314.07 without any issues. The Intel driver level is 9.17.10.2932. Works fine with multiple monitors on my dock plus the graphics engine is significantly faster for the Quadro 2000M. My WEI scores became significantly higher after the installation.

YMMV

I tried to install NVIDIA Quadro Notebook Driver 314.07 WHQL (QNF) from here http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-tesla-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-314.07-whql-driver.html (is that correct version of the driver instalation file?) on my W520 Windows 8 64-bit but NVIDIA Installer cannot find Quadro2000M graphic card!?

NVIDIA Installer Problem 314.07 - W520 Windows 8 64-bit

Currently I’m running NVIDIA Optimus Display Driver 9.18.13.1100 from Lenovo site, but there are still problems in games (Diablo III in particular). When I run games in Optimus mode they are running with Nvidia (program is shown in NVIDA GPU Activity) but graphic is displayed bad (look like game doesn't detect Nvidia), and without transparency effects which are displayed properly in Discrete mode.

Majority of other programs (Adobe, etc.) is running (more or less) normal in Optimus mode with Nvidia graphic card.

Should I uninstall driver from Lenovo site and then try to install 314.07 driver (first in Optimus mode, than in Discrete only mode)?

Also, my Windows 8 won’t start (boots and then stops loading with black screen) in Discrete mode when I enable Intel Virtualization and Hyper-V (BIOS 1.40)?!

Options

53 Posts

02-18-2013

United States of America

69 Signins

427 Page Views

• Views: 427
  • Message 15 of 33

2013-03-02, 0:06 AM

Thanks.  This is the first think the one Lenovo support person and I did to at least get me running again on an external monitor from my docking stations.

Options

53 Posts

02-18-2013

United States of America

69 Signins

427 Page Views

• Message 16 of 33

2013-03-02, 0:40 AM

Thanks Mark.  Only providing support on a factory installed O/S is unusual, in that the initial O/S load from Lenovo doesn't include all Windows 7 versions...I guess the machine isn't truely Windows 7 compatible, it 7 Ultimate isn't offered during the ordering process.  I always wonder why I should pay for an O/S when I already pay Microsoft for it!  :-(

I didn't receive any media from Lenovo to reinstall the O/S when it goes bad; so I'm on my own anyway (I used to have to reinstall XP every 9 months or so, even on my Thinkpad T42).  I went through the Lenovo nightmare where all software installed was not available to me on any media, for re-installations, so I had to purchase a bunch of software separately.

I can't say that Win 7 Ultimate 64 is a qualified O/S.  My entire experience, purchasing about 100 machines during the past 15 years or so, is that if it's Windows 'X' certified, then I can install any Windows 'X' version on the machine.  It seems Lenovo support doesn't subscribe to this point of view.

My machine is actually working, though I don't really know if some parts of it aren't (I can't use bluetooth while on WiFi - but I guess I don't want to).  It seems a waste of time to get Lenovo support involved to work on a video card that mostly works, when their goal is to beg off of any support if they can, at least that's been my experience with Lenovo support since my T42 support contract expired.

I'm not mad or anything, just disappointed that the quality of support has gone down drastically from my T42 days.

Thanks again for your concern.

Options

524 Posts

02-17-2009

Vancouver Island

856 Signins

6208 Page Views

• Views: 6208
  • Message 17 of 33

2013-03-02, 3:04 AM

wphaskett:

I have a W520 that is quite similar to yours.  I also only use original Windows OS loads (I'm a member of Technet, so I get my OS downloads from there).

I've never had any problems getting my W520 to work reliably when I install a new OS, provided that I do the following:

1) Before loading the OS, I go to the Lenovo website (the device driver file matrix, or DDFM) and download all of the driver packages appropriate to my OS.

2) I expand those driver packages onto a USB stick (I don't 'install' them, I just expand them onto a stick).

3) Then, I unplug the machine from the Internet (no ethernet connection, no wireless connection), stuff the USB stick into the side of the machine, and then I do the clean install of the new OS (using a CD).

After the OS install has completed, I go to the Device Manager and find any devices that don't have drivers - the ones with the yellow exclamation points beside them.  I "update the driver" by manually directing the computer to go search the USB stick.  I do that for every missing driver.

Only after I have done that, I connect the computer to the internet.  Loading all the Lenovo drivers off the USB stick before connecting the machine to the internet prevents the machine from fetching drivers from "Windows Update".

---------------------

For what it's worth, long ago I went into the BIOS and disabled the video feature that allows the machine to switch between the Intel on-board video and the dedicated Nvidia video.  I think that the 'dual-video' concept was one of these ideas that sounded great when the engineers first thought it up, but it just causes more problems than it is worth.  My machine runs on the 'discrete' video card (the Nvidia card) 100% of the time, and I can still get about 4 hours of battery life out of it on the rare occasions that I use it with battery power.

One other thought - this might help you, but it is a shot in the dark:  The W520s can support an awful lot of perepherils that either may not be installed on the machine, or if they are installed, we never use them.  So, while you are in the BIOS switching things over to 'discrete video only', disable the modem, the smart card reader, the firewire connection, the WWAN connection... basically, disable anything that is not installed on your machine, or is installed on your machine but you never use (like the firewire).  That simplifies things for the computer, and I think reduces the number of potential problems that can arise (like your Bluetooth problem).

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Options

572 Posts

02-13-2008

United States of America

2819 Signins

15228 Page Views

• Views: 15228
  • Message 18 of 33

2013-03-02, 5:16 AM

wrote:

wphaskett:

I have a W520 that is quite similar to yours.  I also only use original Windows OS loads (I'm a member of Technet, so I get my OS downloads from there).

For what it's worth, long ago I went into the BIOS and disabled the video feature that allows the machine to switch between the Intel on-board video and the dedicated Nvidia video.  I think that the 'dual-video' concept was one of these ideas that sounded great when the engineers first thought it up, but it just causes more problems than it is worth.  My machine runs on the 'discrete' video card (the Nvidia card) 100% of the time, and I can still get about 4 hours of battery life out of it on the rare occasions that I use it with battery power.

Michael

I agree 100% with Michael .... my W520 with Win7pro 64-bit runs much better and faster after disabling the Intel on-board switching option in Bios .   With a Samsung 512GB 840 Pro SSD, 32GB of RAM, Nvidia 2000M GPU and an Intel i7-2860QM processor it is just plain stupid fast and reliable .... althought I always use it docked. It's not really a portable device in the truest sense ..... more of a desktop replacement.

Two (I used to have Five) - T61p 15.4" WS T9300 2.5Ghz units, August 08/08 Builds with FX570M Nvidia Graphics; ... One W520 i7-2860QM w/2000M Nvidia Graphics (most recent acquisition and stupidly fast); .... One - T42 4:3 15" Flexview 1.8GHz with ATI Graphics (still perfect for traveling); ... Two - T500 15.4" units both with ATI HD3650 Graphics.
Options

53 Posts

02-18-2013

United States of America

69 Signins

427 Page Views

• Message 19 of 33

2013-03-02, 6:48 AM

Michael:

Very smart.  I've always tried to do similar by loading all of the Lenovo drivers onto my "D:" drive.  Then I install from there (I create a C:, D:, and E: partition on every machine I create).

I will definitely follow your BIOS suggestions.  I always believe in simplifying my environment if possible.  :-)

Thanks again.

Bill

Options

525 Posts

03-11-2009

Chicago, IL

300 Signins

14180 Page Views

• Views: 14180
  • Message 20 of 33

2013-03-02, 16:44 PM

There are issues with all driver sets since around 296.88. All sets have one issue or other. See this:

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the lab hw info. They should try to find the same sort of w520 as mine is a Q2000M and they really need to use an external display I would think… The bios version is 1.40. The current issue occurs both when closing tabs or closing ie. It occurs when starting YM. You can disable gpu acceleration in ie10 and the ie10 appcrashes stop.

-Another larger issue is that with multiple driver sets soon after installing the new set of drivers the machines displays all freeze and it does not respond to keyboard or mouse. Sometimes rebooting and replugging the external displays would clear this but not always (at least with two driver sets I remember). This started around 305.nn or so and has been every driver set up to 314.07 which did not do this (but has other issues so that it is not usable either). I have a dock but have had issues like these without the dock as well. The drivers have issues both in Optimus mode and using Discrete mode on the W520 and nearly all the versions I have tried since around the 296, 304, 305 days have had one issue or other –and probably those sets still have issues themselves. Chances are slim I got a bad mainboard replacement so this is looking a lot like lots of iterations of buggy drivers to me.

I guess one thing at a time, but that is the background and I have the new system board to test with now.

Thanks,

Christopher

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms