Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

04-07-2012

Germany

268 Signins

503 Page Views

• Views: 503
  • Message 1091 of 1431

Re: W520 shuts off intermittently, no BSOD or shut down

2012-04-07, 21:37 PM

@bobziuchkovski

That of course I can neither confirm nor deny, but when my laptop came back from their service center late November 2011 it still had the same issue.

The issue only went away 6 weeks ago, after I followed the steps as described above.

Options

3 Posts

04-08-2012

Austria

2 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1092 of 1431

2012-04-08, 9:30 AM

This BSOD issue occurs about one time everyday in my computer recently.  My system is W520 23U and I'm now in Austria. Waht a stupid issue it is! More surprisingly is that Lenovo can't reproduct this issue and so that can't solve! **bleep**!

Options

147 Posts

11-13-2008

Scotland

163 Signins

2737 Page Views

• Views: 2737
  • Message 1093 of 1431

2012-04-08, 12:06 PM

Hi,

apologies if I post something that has already been mentioned.

If it was me I'd like to answer me the following questions

1) Is it the Lenovo image of Windows 7 and ThinkVantage software

2) What is the BSOD and when does it occiur when you're using the machine

3) Did the BSOD appear after you installed any sofware of after software was updated etc.

4) Does it happen when you start in Safe Mode and do what you'd do in normal mode

5) When you sent your machine in did you send in your hdd as well?

6) Is the machine overheating or do you hear strange noises?

7) Have you enabled the Windows start logging?

8) Have you run a sfc /scannow in the run menu in Windows

9) Are all drivers etc. updated via Windows Update and System Update

10) If not what isn't updated

11) Have you run PC Doctor for at least 5 times? (1-2 won't necessarily show all errors)

12) Run Memtest

13) Rerun the hdd diagnostic test in the BIOS and use the DFT CD image to test

14) Any logs available for sending?

If you wouldn't mind letting me know that'd be grant.

Options

10 Posts

03-21-2012

Colorado Springs, CO

121 Signins

398 Page Views

• Views: 398
  • Message 1094 of 1431

2012-04-08, 14:54 PM

wrote:

Hi,

apologies if I post something that has already been mentioned.

If it was me I'd like to answer me the following questions

1) Is it the Lenovo image of Windows 7 and ThinkVantage software

2) What is the BSOD and when does it occiur when you're using the machine

3) Did the BSOD appear after you installed any sofware of after software was updated etc.

4) Does it happen when you start in Safe Mode and do what you'd do in normal mode

5) When you sent your machine in did you send in your hdd as well?

6) Is the machine overheating or do you hear strange noises?

7) Have you enabled the Windows start logging?

8) Have you run a sfc /scannow in the run menu in Windows

9) Are all drivers etc. updated via Windows Update and System Update

10) If not what isn't updated

11) Have you run PC Doctor for at least 5 times? (1-2 won't necessarily show all errors)

12) Run Memtest

13) Rerun the hdd diagnostic test in the BIOS and use the DFT CD image to test

14) Any logs available for sending?

If you wouldn't mind letting me know that'd be grant.

The following answers are with regard to my laptop, which is exhibiting this issue:

1. The shutdown occurs with both the factory-installed Windows 7 image as well as Ubuntu Linux 11.10.  My Windows installation is barely modified at all...the only things I have installed on Windows are Chrome, Adobe Reader, WinSCP, and the Windows and Lenovo software updates.  My laptop shuts down once or twice a day, with the same frequency whether I run the factory-installed Windows 7 or an up-to-date Ubuntu installation.
  2. No BSOD is displayed (see thread title).  Behavior is as if someone yanked the power.  The shutdown happens under a wide variety of workloads, including idle load.  On my system, it happens with perhaps a slightly increased frequency when I am viewing flash videos, but has still occured many times while performing other tasks, most of which are not at all media-related.  My laptop has shutdown while sitting idle overnight, while opening e-mail, while compiling software, while exporting config files, while viewing powerpoint presentations, while switching between programs, while simply typing documents.  You name it, my laptop has shutdown while doing it, including doing nothing.  It does not appear to be temperature related, as I have monitored the temp and had my laptop shutdown while running at 55C, running in the 60-70C range, and running in the 70-80C range.
  3. Again no BSOD occurs, but rather an immediate shutdown and reboot, behavior similar to power loss.  It has happened with my laptop since the first day I turned it on, a little over a month ago.  It does not appear to be software related at all, as it happens just as frequently on a nearly pristine factory Windows 7 install as it does on a clean Linux install.
  4. Not tested, as it happens frequently under Linux as well.
  5. I have tested with both the factory-installed HDD as well as a Crucial M4 SSD.  The laptop shuts-down with the same frequency regardless of the HDD installed.
  6. The laptop is not overheating and there are no strange noises.  The shutdown occurs with slightly lower frequency when CPU power management is disabled in the BIOS (actually increasing the temperature approx 5C), but it still occurs under both enabled/disabled settings.
  7. No errors are logged at time of shutdown, either by Windows or by the Linux kernel.
  8. No, but I tested my Windows installation after a clean restore from recovery disc.  I primarily run Linux, but have kept the clean Windows install around for further testing.  It doesn't matter what OS I run, the laptop will shutdown on either.
  9. Yes, on both Windows and Linux, all drivers and system software are completely updated.  The BIOS is up-to-date with version 1.36 as well, though the shutdowns were occuring prior to updating the BIOS to the most recent version as well.
  10. Everything is up-to-date.
  11. No, I have not run PC Doctor, though I have run CPU stress tests, GPU stress tests, tested separate HDDs, and tested separate memory.  Aside from the slightly-increased crash frequency while running flash (more like twice a day versus once a day shutdown), there is no coherent pattern to what triggers the shutdown.
  12. I have run 5 passes of memtest with the 4 dimms of Corsair memory I have installed.  No errors are reported by memtest.  I have also replaced the Corsair dimms with the factory-installed Samsung dimm.  The system still shuts-down with the Samsung dimm installed.
  13. The shutdown occurs while running independently on the factory-installed HDD as well as a Crucial SSD.
  14. No logs -- the shutdown occurs without BSOD or diagnostics.   Both the Windows and Linux logs simply indicate the system was shutdown without warning.

My own belief is this is either a problem with the motherboard or with the discrete gfx card.  The only reason I haven't had my motherboard replaced is because I offered to send my laptop to Lenovo engineering for diagnosis so that they can actually identify the defect as opposed to fixing it blindly.  At first Mark_Lenovo seemed interested in the offer, but it has now been two weeks since my initial offer.  I have followed-up with him via PM several times since and he has not responded.

Options

2483 Posts

04-08-2011

United States of America

5471 Signins

46460 Page Views

• Views: 46460
  • Message 1095 of 1431

2012-04-08, 16:22 PM

wrote:

This BSOD issue occurs about one time everyday in my computer recently.  My system is W520 23U and I'm now in Austria. Waht a stupid issue it is! More surprisingly is that Lenovo can't reproduct this issue and so that can't solve! **bleep**!

Please report BSOD issues elsewhere.  This thread is for the sudden shutdown syndrome without a BSOD.

The thread at http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-does-a-BSOD-then-shuts-off-please-help/m-p/711119#M26028 was started so that you have a place to report critical BSOD errors.

Options

124 Posts

04-08-2012

US/East Africa

105 Signins

873 Page Views

• Views: 873
  • Message 1096 of 1431

2012-04-08, 16:42 PM

I've been holding off on buying a W520 because of this issue specifically.  I really hope they find a solution in time for the Ivy Bridge refresh.

Thinkpad W530: i7-3720QM, K1000M, FHD Screen, 16 GB PC12800, 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
Options

3 Posts

04-08-2012

Austria

2 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 1097 of 1431

2012-04-08, 17:38 PM
to ThorsHammer: Sorry, I mean that the system shuts off intermitte​ntly without BSOD.
Options

3 Posts

04-08-2012

Austria

2 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 1098 of 1431

2012-04-08, 18:01 PM

This issue occurs in my system only when the cpu utilization is low and the cpu power management in the BIOS is activited. When the cpu utilization is low the cpu power management reduces the voltage of cpu. May be there are some problems in the cpu power management component: when the cpu utilization is low, the cpu power management reduces the voltage of cpu to much, so that with this too low cpu voltage the cpu can not work!

Options

2483 Posts

04-08-2011

United States of America

5471 Signins

46460 Page Views

• Views: 46460
  • Message 1099 of 1431

2012-04-08, 18:06 PM

wrote:
to ThorsHammer: Sorry, I mean that the system shuts off intermitte​ntly without BSOD.

In that case, welcome.  :smileyvery-happy:

Options

36 Posts

02-29-2012

Newport, RI

114 Signins

293 Page Views

• Views: 293
  • Message 1100 of 1431

2012-04-08, 18:19 PM
I got my new system and I have been using it for a couple of days now and it seems as though it is much better than my defective system. I will continue to report back on my findings.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms