Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

10-21-2019

United States of America

6 Signins

77 Page Views

• Views: 77
  • Message 1 of 1

W520 won't boot to BIOS most of the time. But if it does, everything works just fine.

2019-10-21, 15:17 PM

About a month ago my W520 failed for the first time to boot to BIOS. It would power up but do nothing not even lighting up the screen. The fan would spin since sometimes it could get hot. Sometimes it utters 5 short beeps followed by another 5 when on battery only, but not always.

Since then I have been able to somehow get it to boot properly from time to time by power cycling it repeatedly (on battery or AC). If it does boot into BIOS, it gets to Windows 10 and everything works just fine, for days and weeks without any issue. The Lenovo Solution Center also reports no problem with hardware scans. The machine can get really hot, but it has been like this for a long while, just like my previous few ThinkPads.

The machine even rebooted properly in one occasion when overnight Windows 10 update happened. However, in most cases if it gets restarted or shut down it won't boot to BIOS the next time. I have not figured out under what circumstance it might boot properly. The last successful boot was after I left it powered down for days.

The only hardware change was to add 8GB of memory to make it 16GB in total, which happened a long time ago. I’ve had this ThinkPad since 2013.

I’d really appreciate any insight on what is going on with this ThinkPad and whether there’s a way to salvage the situation.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)