Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

06-16-2021

Argentina

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 4

W530 - Windows 10 last version installation

2021-06-16, 14:48 PM

Hello, I have tried to install the last version of windows 10 (20H2) on my Thinkpad W530 but I always get the following error at the same step (48% of completion):

0xC1900101 - 0x30018

Installation Error on the phase FIRST_BOOT  with an error during the operation SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE

I saw that the W530 is not on the list of computers tested for this OS version. Will it be possible to install it in the future? If so, is there an estimated date?

Thanks,

Ramiro.

Options

4435 Posts

12-22-2008

Canada

12836 Signins

187421 Page Views

• Views: 187421
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:W530 - Windows 10 last version installation

2021-06-16, 15:29 PM

Welcome to the community forum.

The x430 series is now nearly a decade old. These models have not been supported by Lenovo to work on Windows 10 for some time. So I would not expect Lenovo to make updates in this regard.

You might want to Google on the error codes and error message to see if there is any helpful information.

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

2 Posts

06-16-2021

Argentina

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-06-16, 16:05 PM
Hi Hausman, OK, yes, I´ve googled and tried all the possible solutions on the internet but I still get the same error.... BTW, my notebook is the W530, but it´s old nonetheless. Thanks.
Options

2810 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11391 Signins

62001 Page Views

• Views: 62001
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-06-16, 19:59 PM

@ Ra1237 wrote:

Hello, I have tried to install the last version of windows 10 (20H2) on my Thinkpad W530 but I always get the following error at the same step (48% of completion):

0xC1900101 - 0x30018

Installation Error on the phase FIRST_BOOT  with an error during the operation SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE

I saw that the W530 is not on the list of computers tested for this OS version. Will it be possible to install it in the future? If so, is there an estimated date?

I've got my W530 updated to 21H1. Progressed from 1903, 1909, 2004, 20H2 and now 21H1. The earlier updates were offered by Windows Update and installed without issue or problem. The more recent ones were much more difficult to get installed. Sometimes normal Windows Update offered, sometimes not.

When not, I tried three different approaches: (a) Windows Update Assistant, (b) MS Win10 Download page and "upgrade this PC", or (c) MS Win10 Download page and "in-place upgrade". The latter method uses the approach of "create installation media for another PC via USB/ISO" and then choose ISO (normally intended to burn to DVD). Then you right-click on the WINDOWS.ISO downloaded file, select Properties, push the "CHANGE" button, change the default opening program to "Windows Explorer (or File Explorer), and close the Properties dialog. Then right-click on the ISO file again and this time select MOUNT (which will expand the ISO into an in-memory virtual drive), and then launch SETUP.EXE from the root of that virtual drive.

When SETUP gets going it will offer you a pre-checked option to "keep installed user data and apps", which is what you want to go with. You are going to be preserving everything on your currently installed system as far as 3rd-party programs, data, Windows customizations, etc.. The only thing you're really going to be doing here is completely and totally replacing whatever currently installed Windows system you have (no matter Win7, Win8.1 or Win10) with a brand new shiny and perfect Win10 at the 21H1 level (assuming you go to the MS Win10 Download page today, that's the system installer you will be retrieving).

In other words, the "in-place upgrade" method is essentially a total replacement for whatever you have, with a new 21H1, slid right in without changing anything else you've got on your desktop or anywhere.  Don't forget when the upgrade completes to then run Windows Administrative Tools -> Disk Cleanup, and push the button to also check for deleting system files (in order to show "previous Windows installations" to be deleted). This should get rid of about 35GB of backup and installation files.

One more note.  For some reason, the 21H1 release has caused lots of issues for "in-place upgrade" or for any other "forced" Windows Updates method for that matter. So you may need to run it TWICE because the first time will end prematurely after re-booting, presenting an error message indicating that the upgrade failed.  If this occurs, run "disk cleanup", and then just re-run the MOUNT (on the previously downloaded ISO file) and RUN SETUP.EXE, yes all over again for this second time. And now it should be successful.

Be prepared for 1-2 hours of elapsed time to each "in-place upgrade" to 21H1. This is really a shame, because if Windows Update actually offers you 20H1 that normal update takes maybe a few minutes. But this full reinstall/replace of Windows takes 1-2 hours, and then some more time for "disk cleanup".

Finally, be prepared for a "system tray glitch" after you upgrade to 21H1. This is a known MS-caused problem, due to KB5003637 released June 8. It causes (for many but not all users) a weird behavior in the notification area, where the icons either totally disappear, or overlay either other before sorting themselves out, or just being normal. If this happens you can "workaround" and correct things (though it may only be a temporary fix, in which case you'll need to redo this trick to fix things). Just unlock the taskbar, and raise it to double-high if it's currently single-high, or shrink it to single-high if its' currently double-high. This will force Windows to re-paint the taskbar including the system tray, with the icons all now normally located again. Then pull your taskbar in the opposite direction to get it back to the way you want. Again, Windows re-paints, and everything is again normal. Then lock the taskbar. It should now be and remain normal, hopefully for good, but the anomaly may return. Etc., Etc., rinse and repeat.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms