12-09-2012

USA

26 Signins

240 Page Views

• Views: 240
  • Message 1 of 5

W530, Windows 8, and Thinkvantage 'Black' Button'

2013-01-05, 15:04 PM

After upgrading to Windows 8 (from 7), I can't seem to get the black Thinkvantage button  to work or do anything.  

Can someone point me in which piece of software I need to install to get it to work?  I have looked through the drivers/software list and seemingly installed everything (including the Hotkey Features integration drivers).  

All of the other function keys, volume, mute, etc. work fine, just not that button.

thanks

Solved! See the solution
Options

1302 Posts

12-06-2012

Raleigh, NC

545 Signins

33643 Page Views

• Views: 33643
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: W530, Windows 8, and Thinkvantage 'Black' Button'

2013-01-07, 21:46 PM

Hi, PadThink

I did some research and i found this thread on Lenovo forums. The ThinkVantage button used to be used to launch ThinkPad Toolbox, but this has been replaced by the Lenovo Solution Center. Have you downloaded that also?

I also found another thread that discusses how the ThinkVantage button can be remapped to any program you frequently use and would like to make it a hotkey.

Hope it helps,

Adam

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution!" This will help the rest of the community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
Options

19 Posts

12-09-2012

USA

26 Signins

240 Page Views

• Views: 240
  • Message 3 of 5

2013-01-09, 1:30 AM

Thanks for the tips.. but yes, I have downloaded Lenovo Solution Center, but the button still doesn't work.  I had also tried downloading Simple Tap for Win7 which did not make the button work either.  

I had also tried re-mapping and adding the registry key values already, but that also didn't work.  I suppose it needs to work first before I can re-map it.

Its strange that the driver is so hard to find.  It should not be so hard to make it function.. I suppose I'll try hunting down the ThinkPad toolbox to see if that would make it work.. but I'm honestly disappointed. Luckily,  I'm not new to computers,  but I've had  to troubleshoot multiple driver/software issues (bluetooth, wifi, graphics, power management, wan miniport, etc..) due to conflicts with this clean install of Win 8.  

It seems if you get a Thinkpad with Win 8 out of the box things work fine,.. but you're left on your own if you upgrade.  

Options

14 Posts

11-21-2012

Denmark

69 Signins

268 Page Views

• Views: 268
  • Message 4 of 5

2013-06-25, 17:55 PM

Hi, I'm trying to figure out if I can make the black button work as well, like you I also did an upgrade to Windows 8, which wasn't exactly straight forward. Did you find out how to make it work?

T530, i7 3610QM., 180gb ssd, 16gb ram, windows 8 pro
Options

6646 Posts

10-29-2009

New Caledonia

17706 Signins

163197 Page Views

• Views: 163197
  • Message 5 of 5

2013-06-26, 0:59 AM

Black button has no function on Win8, except in the Lenovo preload, in which cases it launches Device Experience which is a preload-only thing.

On Win7 it was possible to modify registry to make the black (or formerly blue) button launch anything you want, but this just isn't possible on Win8 with the Lenovo tools.

Black button has been phased out (it doesn't exist on 2013 systems like T431s) and admittedly the product teams did not handle this transition well, as shown by the fact that the button isn't even labeled on your system.

Sorry for this inconvenience.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms