01-16-2019

US

7 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 1 of 8

W530 new battery draining quickly

2020-08-24, 22:09 PM

As title says, my 70++ abruptly stopped working. I bought what was claimed to be a NIB replacement 70+ battery, but it's draining to the tune of an hour. Lenovo Vantage is telling me the full charge capacity is only 8 Wh instead of the designed 56... Is there a way to fix this? The battery gauge reset within vantage always fails when I try to run it.

Options

11269 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39719 Signins

415313 Page Views

• Views: 415313
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:W530 new battery draining quickly

2020-08-25, 5:29 AM

it is difficult to know from here, but the 2 most common reasons are this:  It could be an aftermarket (non-Lenovo) battery, and many are junk.  It could be a Lenovo battery that sat on the shelf too long.  If it is a very recent purchase, can you return it?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

5 Posts

01-16-2019

US

7 Signins

39 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2020-08-25, 15:29 PM

@ richk wrote:

it is difficult to know from here, but the 2 most common reasons are this:  It could be an aftermarket (non-Lenovo) battery, and many are junk.  It could be a Lenovo battery that sat on the shelf too long.  If it is a very recent purchase, can you return it?

It was through eBay in the last month. I should be able to return it. Just wanted to check if there was any other diagnostic checks I could perform prior to initiating the return. Any recommendations on where to buy from? Unfortunately I don't the 70+ available directly from Lenovo and the 70++ at $160 is a bit rich for my blood. I know there's a lot of fakes out there and don't want to get burned.

Options

2507 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10970 Signins

59026 Page Views

• Views: 59026
  • Message 4 of 8

2020-08-26, 0:32 AM

Just in passing, for comparison I post my own W530 battery info details. I cannot duplicate your Vantage -> Hardware Settings -> Power Status screenshot. My version of Vantage appears to be different than yours. I can get "battery details" but nothing like you show.

Anyway, I still have the very original Lenovo battery (from 2013) which arrived with my W530 when I purchased it back then (with Win7x64  Pro pre-installed).  No replacement, and it's pure "factory".  I subsequently installed my own Win10 from scratch using a "retail" MS Win10 installer, adding in the Lenovo utilities and other software from the W530 support download site. No explanation for why I can't duplicate your "hardware settings" with my version of Vantage.

My battery low/high threshholds are the same 80% -> 95% as I've had them set at for a very long time.  No charging until battery gets below 80%, and then it recharges up to 95%. As you know the recharge rate starts "high" (about 42mw recharge rate) but as the 95% level approaches the recharge rate starts to drop off significantly until no more charging happens (i.e. 0 mw recharge rate).

Here is how Vantage "battery details" looks for me, with my W530 currently "topped off at 95%" (but currently drained down slightly to 94%) plugged into wall power, with no charging occurring.

Here is also what Nirsoft's Battery Info looks like right now, at the same 95% level with no charging.

Here is a similar Nirsoft view from 2 1/2 years ago (January 2018) when the W530 was in charging mode. This was taken at about the 77% charge level, so it was at a very high recharge rate of 42mw. Note that Nirsoft's calculations for how much time is remaining to achieve what it expects will be 100% charge depends on this charge rate, which the firmware drops precipitously as the battery charging upper-threshold approaches. So the calculation of time remaining is not meaningful.  I just keep looking at where it's at, and know that it will stop charging by itself at 95%.

And back in January 2018 when the W530 reached its 95% threshold so that charging ceased, here is what it looked like:

What's important to take away from these pictures is that this is an original Lenovo factory battery, now more than 7 years old.  2+ years ago it showed a designed capacity of 93,600mWh with a then full-charged capacity of 84,720mWh (i.e. 90.5% of its original "life" remaining, i.e. "battery health").  And at that time when it reached its 95% no-more-charging threshold it actually had reached 80,060mWh.

Today, that same fully-charged "life" show a full-charged capacity of 83,940mWh (i.e. now 89.7% of its original "life" remaining). The charge level (drained slightly down to current 94% from its original 95% peak) currently shows 78,850mWh (i.e. 93.9% of 83,940mWh).

Bottom line: original Lenovo factory battery circa 2013 had a designed 100% charge of 93,600mWh.  Over time, this capacity reduces. For me, after 8+ years of use my battery's 100% charge value is now at 89.7% of its original designed charge max, or 83,940mWh. When the battery actually is in charging mode (i.e. having dropped below my custom set 80% low-charge threshold) it can charge at a rate of about 42mw which calculates to about a 2-hour recharge time if the battery has been drained down to near-zero.  But as the re-charging approaches my custom-set 95% max charge threshold the charge rate drops dramatically, eventually going to 0. 

Options

5 Posts

01-16-2019

US

7 Signins

39 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2020-08-26, 3:30 AM

I appreciate the deeper insight into the battery performance, this is actually my second replacement. Each of the prior 70++ batteries lasted about 4 years of heavy use before significantly battery degradation was noted. And for reference my Vantage software is version 20.1908.3.0.

I'd expect regular battery degradation but the one I received is nearly 14% of the initial capacity, the only way I can see this happening is if this somehow dropped cells by sitting at low charge for years (likely).

Options

2507 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10970 Signins

59026 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2020-08-27, 1:39 AM

@ Scalisee wrote:

And for reference my Vantage software is version 20.1908.3.0.

Please tell me how you found this version?  I have searched far and wide but cannot find where ABOUT or INFO or similar information is obtained.  Where/how is the current software version obtained?

In Control Panel -> Programs I see a Lenovo Vantage Service (which says it was installed on 8/9/2020 which seems hard to believe) with a version of 3.3.115.0.  Obviously this cannot be talking about the actual foreground Vantage software itself which you show as 20.1903.3.0.

Where did you get Vantage?  From the Microsoft Store?  From Lenovo?  If I go to the MS Store it tells me it's already installed.  So I don't even know how to perhaps uninstall it in order to reinstall the latest version.

Options

2026 Posts

07-22-2010

US

9912 Signins

166497 Page Views

• Views: 166497
  • Message 7 of 8

2020-08-28, 4:47 AM

@ DSperber wrote:

@ Scalisee wrote:

And for reference my Vantage software is version 20.1908.3.0.

Please tell me how you found this version?  I have searched far and wide but cannot find where ABOUT or INFO or similar information is obtained.  Where/how is the current software version obtained?

In Control Panel -> Programs I see a Lenovo Vantage Service (which says it was installed on 8/9/2020 which seems hard to believe) with a version of 3.3.115.0.  Obviously this cannot be talking about the actual foreground Vantage software itself which you show as 20.1903.3.0.

Where did you get Vantage?  From the Microsoft Store?  From Lenovo?  If I go to the MS Store it tells me it's already installed.  So I don't even know how to perhaps uninstall it in order to reinstall the latest version.

@DSperber   I think @Scalisee  is running Enterprise version of Vantage.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/hf003321/

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
T14, T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

2507 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10970 Signins

59026 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2020-08-28, 5:18 AM

Presumably I have the same version already installed.  But that's what I'm asking for... where is any ABOUT that shows the software product name and/or version??

But I don't know why the "enterprise version" should mean anything at all, other than some puffery by Lenovo.  When I enter my W530's serial number I am directed to the same page supposedly providing that 20.1908.3.0 "enterprise" version (which is the name of the ZIP file that gets downloaded). But my retail W530 is not anything but an individual machine, not part of any enterprise. And the license code used to install Win10 from scratch was pure retail, nothing to do with Lenovo.

Which brings me back to my questions:

(1) how do I find out what the current installed product version is? Where is the "ABOUT" or equivalent in Lenovo Vantage?

(2) Assuming I am running the correct installed version of Vantage (which was automatically installed through Lenovo Service Bridge and/or MS App Store, which I did not choose anything from) why do I not see anything but "battery details" as I posted previously. I do not see anything at all titled "HARDWARE SETTINGS : POWER: -> Power status from anything I can see to push. I'd like to see the progression of dialogs presented when OP launched Vantage, in order to drill down to "Hardware Settings". I see nothing of the sort on the three installed versions of Vantage that I have installed on three different Lenovo laptops (W530, P70 and T495).

(3) Since MS Store claims Lenovo Vantage is already installed and won't download/install a fresh new copy as a result, how might I go about UNINSTALLING IT (if I wanted to start over from scratch)?

(4) Note that I've already tried manually reinstalling Vantage by unzipping that 20.1903.3.0 ZIP file and then running the SETUPX.BAT in an administrator command prompt window exactly as instructed. Accomplished nothing.  Never prompted me for any override, just appeared to have run its script. But it probably just replaced the already existing files with the same ones. If I knew how to get into ABOUT I could verify what I currently now have installed... even though it doesn't produce HARDWARE SETTINGS as shown by OP. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete