06-30-2011

GI

1350 Signins

3952 Page Views

• Views: 3952
  • Message 1 of 1

W530 randomly switching itself off but only when I am AFK

2017-01-26, 22:50 PM

For the last 2 years, I have never had an issue. Then since last week, if I go and get a coffee or leave the laptop untouched for half an hour, I come back and its shut down.

This happens both in the doc, and on direct power.

It happens with both my batteries, which are always 100% charged because I never use it on battery.

When I switch it back on, chrome etc. says it session was ended and offers to reload my last windows, so it must be a "kill" rather than a graceful shutdown.

I have not had any updates or windows updates for some time.

Any ideas how to diagnose this? I am worried it will corrupt my SSDs, and/or lose my work.

When I look in the event viewer, I see:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly" Source: Kernel-Power, EventId: 41

The last event before this (may be unrelated) is:

"File System Filter 'npsvctrig' (10.0, ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎16T03:28:33.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager."

I see a lot of stuff in the logs, including warnings like this:

"The speed of processor 5 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 0 seconds since the last report."

and

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
and APPID
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Any suggestions?

Time for a new laptop?

I also see a few of these errors:

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk3\DR4."

I have two HDs, one msata and one 2.5" SSD (and one ramdisk).  I have not plugged in any USB drives or similar when this error occured.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete