Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

29 Posts

10-29-2013

Netherlands

38 Signins

334 Page Views

• Views: 334
  • Message 331 of 350

Re: W540 Wish List

2014-01-25, 20:59 PM

wrote:

That's interesting, I wonder if the same thing will happen to the T540, right now it's at 2.5 with 27 Reviews.  Bad reviews (1 or 2) outnumber decent/good (3-5) reviews 16-11.  Guess what they all complain about?

Ha; this thread has been stripped of certain replies as well. I have an email subscription and from time to time the "new" reply isn't actually there. Some replies written by me have vanished as well.

The first post on page 21 here:

wrote:

"I refuse to "give in" " : Thanks for the link! I posted my longer comment there. Mitch

Funny enough.... there is no post that provides that link; that post was written by me and subsequently went "missing".

Options

12 Posts

10-07-2008

GERMANY

16 Signins

113 Page Views

• Views: 113
  • Message 332 of 350

2014-01-26, 8:04 AM

I checked the link given and the whole article seems to be saying..

* we [lenovo] did studies how to improve Thinkpads

* users are back minded and afraid of any change

* we [lenovo] did changes as we are thinking of improvements (and we know better "what is best")

* users started to work with and now they love what we [lenovo] did

Maybe the answer to the last question and the facts on keyboard in mind should have been a warning to all of us as...

"Q: Last question, and I deliver this one with a wink—are you getting rid of the TrackPoint?

A: No. We study how to keep improving TrackPoint, not how to remove it."

lenovo did same on keyboard, the 6 row chiclet keyboard with backlight (thus getting rid of Thinklight by that chance) might have been announced with same Q&A, just replace "the TrackPoint" by "the 7row classic keyboard".

I think to justify acceptance by the users by "they accepted" is strange if the option is only to swtich to another brand as you are not offered anything else like the "new, better, ergonomic style".. Additionally the justification "other competitors already had changed..." - if others are jumping from a skycraper w/o a parachute - would you [lenovo] do this "as competitors did" ?

Figuring out the number of sales - maybe the loss of long year customers have been compensated by new customers.. I agree that does not matter from manufacturer's point of view as there is no matter who buys if the units get sold. Don't care of traditional customers...

Frankenpad (T60p with T61p board, X9000, 8GB, 500GB SSD, QXGA)
Options

83 Posts

01-08-2013

Canada

285 Signins

810 Page Views

• Views: 810
  • Message 333 of 350

2014-01-26, 14:35 PM
Don't forget: a few "professional" reviewers who used it for ten minutes and creamed their pants over how pretty it was have a more valid opinion than real users who do actual work on these things for years.
Options

17 Posts

06-21-2012

United States

81 Signins

216 Page Views

• Views: 216
  • Message 334 of 350

2014-01-27, 16:47 PM

I've decided what to do for myself, and I'm posting my thoughts in case they help another lurker on this thread.

I've used Thinkpads forever. I mostly code (perl and html), and use Photoshop and Word, but also a thousand other mostly-programming-related programs. I ordered a T61p when it came out, called tech support because I thought something was wrong with the screen, found out that the new TN screens were **terrible** compared to the IPS on my 1600x1200 15" T60p, and returned the T61p.

I'm *very* fast on the keyboard. I use a million keyboard shortcuts: Alt, Ctrl, Fn keys, F keys, etc.

Every new Thinkpad that came out in the last 5 years: I saw that the screens were still TN, and I passed. I upgraded my T60p with an SSD which made it seem like I had tripled the processor speed. I even got a new IPS screen and replaced it when I thought something was wrong or wearing out with my original.

We Windows users know that you don't upgrade an OS unless you need it, to accomplish something that you couldn't do before. Too many teething problems, and you have to reinstall everything. I'm still using XP, and it's rock stable: I can run a million programs simultaneously and nothing bad ever happens. I know, I know, support is ending. It's a problem. For now, I've got great anti-virus and everything, and I'm backed up to my eyeballs, continuously.

Since the W540 has IPS, I was sooooo interested: thought I could finally retire this T60p I'm typing on. I want faster memory, and USB 3.0, and a much faster processor, but I guess I don't *need* it, since I don't game, and I'm not running CAD/CAM or the like. The rare times I have a serious number-crunching program to run, I port it to my MacBook Pro, which I use only for writing apps -- everything else, 99.9%, is on the T60p. I hate the keyboard on the MacBook Pro.

I can't believe I was actually considering buying the W540 and using it with an external mouse and an external monitor (because I was worried about the extrememly high DPI on the W540).

But my mind was finally made up when I went to Lenovo.com, clicked on the T (yes, T) 540p, sorted the many reviews in order of number of stars, and started reading at the bottom. This thread that I'm posting on here has mostly people who are worried about the keyboard and the touchpad buttons and the lack of indicator lights, but haven't personally experienced them yet. The reviews are written by people who have actually gotten the laptop and used it. There are lots of people who hate the new laptops -- wanted to like them, got and used them, sent them back. Read those reviews.

I use my caps lock indicator all the time. Also the hard drive usage indicator: it tells you to wait if the computer seems to stall momentarily. I could get used to different locations for page up/down and arrow keys, I guess, but I got out my IBM 560, and 600E, and A22p, and T42p this morning to type on the keyboards: they're all *excellent*, like my T60p.

I use my T60p so much, and it would take so long to reinstall everything, that I bought another one and kept it on the shelf so that if mine crumped, I could just swap out the hard drive and be on my way. That actually happened, about a month ago. Swap and go. Easy peasy. I noticed then that my left mouse button was curved and carved and flattened and widened from being pressed a trillion times. Photo here:
http://app25.com/T60pMouseButtons.jpg

The T60p was (almost) indestructible. Before it crumped, this T60p bounced around in my briefcase on the floor of my car back and forth to work for almost seven years.

Anyway, I'll pass on the W540, like I passed on the T61p and everything else since then. Guess I'll buy another T60p to put on the shelf as backup again. However, now it seems that I'll never get my keyboard back in a new Lenovo, so it's probably time to find another laptop to try. I can't keep using XP SP2 (SP3 crumped my version of Photoshop) forever, after all. I wonder if there are a thousand others like me out there, who read these posts but just don't post themselves.

I'd appreciate any comments from someone who found a different laptop and thought it acceptable.

hth,

--Steve D.

Options

12 Posts

10-07-2008

GERMANY

16 Signins

113 Page Views

• Message 335 of 350

2014-01-27, 18:57 PM

StevenD - I read your comments and as I wrote some posts above it really seems like the Thinkpad brand has not only lost almost much of the tiny little gimmicks that have been added in the early days. Thinkpads are unfortunately not only on their way to be just a normal Notebook like others - in some issues it seems they are even worse than the competitors.

Isn't it curious that there are loyal users which are still willing to pay "some extra bucks" for notebooks which would just need to be modernized in terms of internals (processor, memory, interfaces) - and instead of at least keeping one series in the portfolio to satisfy these people's needs lenovo tries to convince (or to impose?) us their modern style is better and we are just too blind to recognize this.

I've started with a T701CS and upgraded time by time until the 4:3 screens were "outdated". As I also do programming I'm a glad user of the space given by my QXGA - up to the 540's there were no alternatives (yes, the missing vertical pixels to max. resolutions provided do matter). I also was into thoughts to buy a 540, willing to try to overcome my dislike of the new reduced keyboard, but the mods on the trackpoint are the final NoGo..

I really wonder why lenovo refuses to provide modified palmrest and keyboards as an option for us "backminders" - hey, I'd be happy to be marked as a unteachable, as a stick-in-the-mud :-)

If there would be hope that the result might change anything it might be worth to start a poll in the most known thinkpad related forums - if the result would be that the majority really wants the 6 row (excentric) keyboard, clickpad modern style I'd have to respect this, but if the majority would dare for the old trackpoint and perhaps old style keyboard...

Options

244 Posts

10-21-2012

Switzerland

292 Signins

1760 Page Views

• Views: 1760
  • Message 336 of 350

2014-01-27, 19:54 PM

Steve: The IPS panel was sorely missed till the w540 (skip again for input SNAFUs).

The 16:10 ratio is not likely to return soon, due to panel standards and pricing that differentiates Apple from the rest (@Carl).

However, the true TP keyboard is likely to return rather soon (hopefully in 1-2 iterations).

Market pressure of fastly shrinking PC sales, Lenovo's new focus on future tables and servers (see their 2.3B$ deal with IBM) will give them no choice but to turn around this unfortunate departure from the real TP. Or else...

Note: My company buys yearly a few Kilo TP's, and we hopefully still have a little sway and other non-TP options :-)

Yet i'm concerned whether the TP (or whatever is left of the vanishing brand) remains a credible long term option as our 'workhorse'. My concerns go beyond input devices and KB layout, to include materials, thermal stability, noise, device drivers.

Options

12 Posts

10-07-2008

GERMANY

16 Signins

113 Page Views

• Message 337 of 350

2014-01-27, 21:16 PM

Gusat I hope you're right with the assumption on the return of the true TP keyboard.

As the machine still has "under the hood" features like the cage frame,... it is even more a pitty the machine struggles on the primary user interfaces :-(

The "issues" with the series between my 15" T61 and the 540 -- at first the low vertical resolution made these less of interest, the 540 are the frist coming to my attention for the 3K display.

Well, let us hope the story will turn better and - with the shrinking sales of "normal users" (which are tending towards tablets) the "professional users" will be back in the interest of lenovo :-)

And maybe your's input could "push" them carefully towards this :-D

Options

17 Posts

06-21-2012

United States

81 Signins

216 Page Views

• Views: 216
  • Message 338 of 350

2014-01-27, 21:16 PM
Thanks for replying, Gusat. I would love to find out what "other non-TP options" you are considering. Maybe by message or email if you don't want to post here?
Options

62 Posts

10-05-2013

United States of America

100 Signins

614 Page Views

• Views: 614
  • Message 339 of 350

2014-01-27, 21:39 PM

Since this forum has a w540 wish list topic, we are in the unfortunate position of instead of focusing on amazing new characteristics we would like the new w540 to have, instead to beg Lenovo to keep older features and not destroy them.
I make a short list of some i consider important just for the record:

. Keyboard quality (classic layout and button shape, waterproof, flex, feel, noise)
. trackpoint with 3 dedicated real buttons (who could have imagined that we ll have to be so precise!)
. mildly rough texture on touchpad

. Black uniform and dull appearance
. blue and red colours on keyboard and touchpad to indicate different functions
. All indicator LEDs in one place (and plenty of them: hd, wifi, caps lock, numlock, bluetooth, battery, power plug, sleep, power)
visible when lid is open and when lid is closed (e.g. Z61m)
. Thinklight
. dedicated buttons for mic, speakers (on/off, volume), wifi
. matte display
. high resolution display (10:16) IPS
. magnesium roll cage for internals and display
. robust metallic hinges for display (180 degrees opening)
. HD accelleration sensors (not necessary for SSD though)
. switch for the lid so as to secure it
. user replaceable parts, modularity, DVD caddy
. customizable (CPU, GPU, etc)
. different types of removable batteries
. uniform docking stations across models
. temperaure handling

feel free to add anything i forgot

Options

377 Posts

10-20-2008

United States of America

741 Signins

5558 Page Views

• Views: 5558
  • Message 340 of 350

2014-01-27, 21:56 PM

Protonot:

Great list -- I agree with all points.

Would add: 

at least one available full-size slot (80mm or larger) for M.2 SSD card, two or more slots total minimum, to allow WLAN and at least one internal SSD. 

Full range of Intel SSD options for main drive(s) and M.2

Bluray and possibly DVD-RAM multi-writer option (tray, NOT slot load) 

17" high-res,16:10 display option (although not holding my breath for it).  Would settle for excellent 4K on 15.6" Size

Dual Ver. 2 Thunderbolt interfaces and at least one combo eSATA/USB slot

Dual 34 & 54mm PC card slots

Outside case covered with a slightly rubberized coating to facilitate hand carrying

If at all possible, an optional "lunch box" style folding carry handle, as on some of the Panasonic Toughbook models.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms