Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

11-02-2009

Columbia, MD

54 Signins

117 Page Views

• Views: 117
  • Message 1 of 7

W700 Display

2009-11-02, 17:05 PM

Anybody having problems with the ultra bright display? The problem I am having is that it is just too bright when all the way up, but seems to have a flicker when dimmed. This has been seen in the LED displays and some people notice it on the CCFL ones too. I would be totally happy with the display, but the flicker makes me a little sick and gives me a bad headache. If I sit for a while in front of the screen and get up to walk around, I almost can't walk. I've tried everything, including the following.

1. Increase lighting in room, both natural and incident

2. Screen closer and further

3. Max and min brightness

4. Changed resolutions and refresh rates

5. Calibrated monitor with built in calibrator (colors are way off BTW)

6. Went to the doctor for eye exam. , eyes are perfect

The machine is only a month old and it took some time to run through all the above steps to narrow it down to the display itself. I am the Director of IT for the company I work for and work with several dozen laptops and this is the only one I have seen like this that is CCFL. I have seen this with LED, due to PWM on several occasions. 

This is my first experience with Lenovo as I wanted to see how well they stand up to Dell, which is our current line. I want to sent it in for service, but due to the horrible sales service, I wonder if support will be the same. Hopefully somebody here can convince me that Lenovo is still a good line to consider as well as provide feedback on my display problem.

Thanks

--Larry

Options

395 Posts

08-03-2009

UK

1342 Signins

9464 Page Views

• Views: 9464
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: W700 Display

2009-11-02, 18:49 PM

I can report that the display of my W700 doesn't flicker at any brightness level with any ambient lighting condition I've tried, at least to my eyes. I suggest you discuss this with the service people.

Options

76 Posts

09-19-2008

United States of America

137 Signins

743 Page Views

• Views: 743
  • Message 3 of 7

2009-11-02, 18:54 PM

The W700 for me (400nit) is on par with my ver yold 17" desktop LCD, so it looks quit comfortable even in complete dark room (not too bright) at full brightness; however YMMV.

I did not notice any flickering in dimming mod (battery) but I haven't manually check all dimmness yet - I'll do so and let you know if I found anything interesting.

I do have a dimness in the bottom right corner, a gradient of dimming from 100% to 60% brightness from 1cm2 area - quit tiny compare to the whole screen but is visible when I look at the time (AM/PM).  Is this normal for TFT?

Options

4 Posts

11-02-2009

Columbia, MD

54 Signins

117 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2009-11-02, 19:23 PM

Thanks for your responses. I have asked a few people to come in my office to check it out without telling them the problem and 2/3 notice the problem. It's very hard to explain. Flickering, but so fast you can't see it but you feel it. Very much like PWM. Another way to describe it would be to think of the top and bottom of the screen having 2 separate CCFL bulbs, which that is probably how it is. They have a frequency that are exact opposite of each other. 

Border line seizure flicker. I wish I could describe it better.

Options

76 Posts

09-19-2008

United States of America

137 Signins

743 Page Views

• Views: 743
  • Message 5 of 7

2009-11-04, 1:53 AM

Just checked!  All brightness level does not have any flickering.  The minimum setting is almost not useful even in indoor soft lighting condition.

If we're in the same boat for eye sight, than I suspect your brighter than usual max setting is probabily not normal either because even at 400nit it is no match for any desktop LCD.

Options

4 Posts

11-02-2009

Columbia, MD

54 Signins

117 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2009-11-04, 21:05 PM

The display is very bright. Everyone who looks at it full bright say its too bright. 

Here is a site the explains the problem better than I can.

http://conradbiologic.com/articles/SubliminalFlickerI.html

Options

58 Posts

05-27-2009

Boston, MA

51 Signins

707 Page Views

• Views: 707
  • Message 7 of 7

2009-11-06, 5:38 AM

Hi,

First of all no flicker at any level of brightness. 

For thosse that say it is too bright, take it outside even in the shade and you will quickly change your mind.  Twqo points for those inside, 1) that is why you can dim it to match your lighting condition and 2) as a photographers workstation, you calibrate/profile the LCD display or you simply will produce unstable images and by that process it will take down the bightness for web and or print (but ultimately you'll need that extra brighness as you light source ages.

This is the BEST LCD I have ever had!

Jim

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms