Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

09-23-2008

Holland

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 10

W700 User Feedback

2008-11-17, 17:32 PM

I was wondering what W700 users thoughts were. Are happy you with this investment?

How is the noise, thermals when on running at full throttle?

Are the palm rests sturdy?

Also I understand its pretty big. Can it fit OK in the overhead cabin compartment of a plane?

Any other feedback, or experiences  would also be much appreciated. 

Answer
Options

16 Posts

10-30-2008

USA

15 Signins

187 Page Views

• Views: 187

Re: W700 User Feedback

2008-11-20, 14:10 PM

I've had my W700 for about 3 weeks now.  It has many great features, but in hind sight I think I paid too much.  Here are some random things in no particular order...

Firstly...I cannot find a carry case or backpack that it will fit in without "forcing" it in.  The W700 is slightly larger than most 17", by about a half inch.  Sling bags or messenger bags come the closest to being able to slide one in and out smoothly.  But standard top load bags or backpacks is troublesome... unless you like those monster backpacks that look like something you'd take hiking.  I'm still searching...  Sadly, I'm using my Dell backpack from my old M90 in the meantime.  And yes, it fits in an overhead bin on planes that are CRJ or larger.

Palm rests are sturdy.

Noise is fine.  Heat is fine.  I use a cooling pad for gaming though...3D games will kick out some heat...use a cooling pad to promote long video card life.

I'm disappointed with recent changes to the Recovery Restore software... no customer restore option anymore.  So you get all the junkware, trialware, etc every time you want to restore.  I ended up using my own clean install of Vista Ultimate 64.

Which leads me to ... there are a bazillion drivers, updates, registry fixes, etc... if you do a clean install.  Its a crying shame.

Its fast... period!  I got the quad-core.  Beautiful screen.  Great keyboard... I wish the headphone and mic jacks were on the side though and not the front.  But performance is undeniably the best i've ever seen.

Fingerprint software doesnt appear on top of IE when a website requires login.  As a result it makes IE appear to be "stuck".

Lenovo Support - OMG this has been my biggest heartburn.  A simple phone call to tech support about the W700 turns into 45 minute disasters.  Whats worse, if you're trying to diagnose a problem with the person on the phone...they don't have access to a W700 to confirm a problem.  "We dont' have those here..." or "I'll have to put a call into Level 2".  I distinctly got the feeling that Lenovo corporate designed and shipped the W700 but forgot to inform and train the support staff.  They are throwing money away with all the lost cycles that the support staff is spending putting people on hold to ask someone else for an answer.

Overall, if I had it to do over again???... I'm torn and I wonder if I'd be happier with the "other" 17" competitor.

Pros: Great speed and graphics.  Thinkvantage features are nice.

Cons:  Price.  Support.  Too many drivers, updates, etc. to load, resulting in a 1.4gb memory footprint at boot up.  Unable to find adequate carry cases choices.

my .02

Angler180

Replies(9)
Options

280 Posts

11-11-2008

Canada

629 Signins

35617 Page Views

• Views: 35617
  • Message 2 of 10

2008-11-17, 18:44 PM

fido,

You will find answers to many of your questions in this W700 review.

Thank you

Options

16 Posts

10-30-2008

USA

15 Signins

187 Page Views

• Views: 187
  • Message 3 of 10

2008-11-20, 14:10 PM

I've had my W700 for about 3 weeks now.  It has many great features, but in hind sight I think I paid too much.  Here are some random things in no particular order...

Firstly...I cannot find a carry case or backpack that it will fit in without "forcing" it in.  The W700 is slightly larger than most 17", by about a half inch.  Sling bags or messenger bags come the closest to being able to slide one in and out smoothly.  But standard top load bags or backpacks is troublesome... unless you like those monster backpacks that look like something you'd take hiking.  I'm still searching...  Sadly, I'm using my Dell backpack from my old M90 in the meantime.  And yes, it fits in an overhead bin on planes that are CRJ or larger.

Palm rests are sturdy.

Noise is fine.  Heat is fine.  I use a cooling pad for gaming though...3D games will kick out some heat...use a cooling pad to promote long video card life.

I'm disappointed with recent changes to the Recovery Restore software... no customer restore option anymore.  So you get all the junkware, trialware, etc every time you want to restore.  I ended up using my own clean install of Vista Ultimate 64.

Which leads me to ... there are a bazillion drivers, updates, registry fixes, etc... if you do a clean install.  Its a crying shame.

Its fast... period!  I got the quad-core.  Beautiful screen.  Great keyboard... I wish the headphone and mic jacks were on the side though and not the front.  But performance is undeniably the best i've ever seen.

Fingerprint software doesnt appear on top of IE when a website requires login.  As a result it makes IE appear to be "stuck".

Lenovo Support - OMG this has been my biggest heartburn.  A simple phone call to tech support about the W700 turns into 45 minute disasters.  Whats worse, if you're trying to diagnose a problem with the person on the phone...they don't have access to a W700 to confirm a problem.  "We dont' have those here..." or "I'll have to put a call into Level 2".  I distinctly got the feeling that Lenovo corporate designed and shipped the W700 but forgot to inform and train the support staff.  They are throwing money away with all the lost cycles that the support staff is spending putting people on hold to ask someone else for an answer.

Overall, if I had it to do over again???... I'm torn and I wonder if I'd be happier with the "other" 17" competitor.

Pros: Great speed and graphics.  Thinkvantage features are nice.

Cons:  Price.  Support.  Too many drivers, updates, etc. to load, resulting in a 1.4gb memory footprint at boot up.  Unable to find adequate carry cases choices.

my .02

Angler180

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

09-23-2008

Holland

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 4 of 10

2008-11-22, 16:29 PM

Thanks guys!

For your JohnB's  review link, and forAngler180 answering ALL my questions relating to this product (and much more). Very helpful.

I've been agonizing between the HP 8730w, Dell  M6400 and the Lenovo W700 since Oct. Lenovo seems the cheapest   at least here in Europe for the quad-core, but the extra bulk for (very rare) air travel has been a little concerning.

Anyone else is welcome to add opinions on the W700.

Options

101 Posts

11-02-2008

California

263 Signins

1610 Page Views

• Views: 1610
  • Message 5 of 10

2008-11-23, 22:14 PM

I have a W700 and a Sony VGn-AR190G-- both 17" notebooks, both fit just fine in my Targus City-bag, and although the Lenovo is about 3/8" deeper, it's really irrelevant. Both are large mean machines, live with it or get a smaller screen size if you don;t need the real estate.

Build quality on the Lenovo is superior to the Sony and the Sony AR Series are very well-built and beautifully designed machines.

Little issues are ineveitable and with the W700 they are:

Keyboard flex is unpleasant (I'm replacing mine with a T61 series which uses a solid backplane and is said to be stiffer).

Fingerprint reader software is finicky and slow to respond after resuming from standby.

Digital audio recording has been deliberatley crippled by Lenovo apparently (but there are some software and ExpressCard workarounds).

Speakers are pretty lame, but can be improved with some tweaking.

No audio control panel and mixer that even the cheapest  desktop computer comes standard with.

No ESATA unless you buy the minidock for around $300

Some confusion around whether or not the DisplayPort adapter will pass-through digital audio as it is supposed to.

No digital optical audio-out port.

And Now the Positives:

Fast as hell.

Can be upgraded to 8 gigs of RAM!

Awesome screen quality (I use a Dell 30" LCD as my other screen).

Great build quality.

Easy upgrading of internal componets as build quality extends to assembly/disassembly elegance.

Beautiful (as in eye of the beholder) classic design where form follows funcion all the way.

Excellent compliment of ports (wich ESATA was onboard and not on minidock).

Quite and can even be made quieter via further tweaking.

Color calibrator is a huge plus if you're into imaging work or photography.

Regrets? None.

Price? A bit on the high side, but price any loaded similar 17" notebook and you will be in W700 price territory pretty quick (my Sony AR cost $3800 two and a half years ago).

Nothing's perfect, but this comes pretty close and is a very impressive notebook.

Lenovo should be proud of what they were able to accomplish developing this product. Kind of reminds me of the old IBM days when I got my first A31p-- yes, it's that good.

Options

4 Posts

12-16-2008

New York, NY

18 Signins

77 Page Views

• Views: 77
  • Message 6 of 10

2008-12-17, 20:37 PM
Wheadley, when you say really fast I was just wondering which processor are you using? I can't decide between duo and quad..
Options

101 Posts

11-02-2008

California

263 Signins

1610 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2008-12-17, 21:18 PM

My W700 has the Core2Duo 2.8gz, 2 drives, 4GB RAM. I would get the 1gb Nvidia Quatro graphics option as that will likely make more difference for most activities. Quad wasn't worth an extra $1000 to me. I use Xeon workstations daily and this notebook comes as close that work experience as any I have ever owned  (you can add quadcore later youself BTW).

Overall the system os fantastic. ~Wes

Options

76 Posts

09-19-2008

United States of America

137 Signins

743 Page Views

• Views: 743
  • Message 8 of 10

2009-10-17, 17:53 PM

I'm a W500 user and I placed order on W700 because there's something in my work-flow that require independent bright screen.  It is competable to all competitors out there so that's why I placed by order, thinking of giving it one last chance for the entire W500 audio, keyboard (easy fix), and driver disaster I been through since last fall.

Wish the best luck to me, it'll be here in 2 days - I do can said that the labtop built quality is not too bad, and the strength of W700 compare to other is (1) easily replaceable/upgradable components with clear layout instructions and (2) better thermal adjustment - from my limited experience on sample W700 and full experience on W500

Lenovo's quality is slowly and steadily going down-hill, there shouldn't be any objective to this (although not a serious problem right now but competition from Dell and HP will really hit hard - because quality is Lenovo's only competitive advantage)

Edit: OK wheadley, that's my personal opinion as many user will post in this forum - its biased, just like everyone else.  I agree about the skip in quality of the manufacturers but my "biased" experience show that Lenovo has worsen customer service compare to Dell - and that's what I continued to experience even now.

No frame - I delete my part

Options

101 Posts

11-02-2008

California

263 Signins

1610 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2009-10-17, 20:49 PM

I am wondering why you would consider your personal opinion as something that contitutes a broad fact about two large companies? Where is you data to back up your personal opinion as fact?

I have over twenty years experience in tech and have dealt with both companies (and IBM prior) for years and would based upon my personal experience assert just the opposite-- Lenovo tech support is more competent and generally knowledgeable than comparable level one support from Dell. But I do not claim that my personal experience is proof of some fact about the CS of a huge company.

The trend overall is that most all of these large companies cut-back on customer service and outsource as much as possible. The fact is this has had an overall negative impact on consumer satisfaction surveys for years and shows no sign of reversing direction. Neither Dell no Lenovo think about individuals, they think in market share. And that said, the other sad fact in busines is, the squeeky wheel is the one that gets the oil first.

Options

76 Posts

09-19-2008

United States of America

137 Signins

743 Page Views

• Views: 743
  • Message 10 of 10

2009-10-22, 17:48 PM

Just want to show my "biased" 2 days experience on W700, compare to W500 alone.

Hardware part is excellent- it solve my hardware requirements, partricularly the screen for viewing graphics - able to use it in strong back-light situation.  However the screen feels small due to too many space at the edge of screen

The FX3700m is great - it runs much faster on CAD rendering!  I believe it will be excellent on Linux than my W500's ATI V5700.  So far I after few hours of play I sill don't like Vista

External casting is not as precise as W500 - plastic is thin, filmsy and the tabs that hook the palm rest to the rolling cage is tiny and weak - I broke one tiny tag already and I was gently opening up the palm rest with minimal force.

A little minor complaint is the screws that hold the keyboard/palm rest.  I don't know if Lenovo change its source but in W500 back in Nov. 08 they use hard - stiff screws but now softer and easily damage with the same philips head I used.

Keyboard - as usual its not ideal- at the small area around \ ENTER and Shift its floating on the air so pressing it can hit the frame below - still has the hollow place even after change it to T61 keyboard but 80% of the area become one solid piece.  The number pad is simply one hollow piece with noisy sound.

Overall the hardware choice is great - the larger volume of the W700 compare to other 17" laptop is that it is much organized inside - and when I open up to change keyboard it seems that the thermal management is really good.  The downside is the physical built quality and precision of the W700.  I purchased W500 when it come out and now its already a year passed for W series - I can already see the skip of material in small/tiny areas and the precision is just not as snap.

Other thoughts:  I hope I can fit my blu-ray burner from W500 (9.5mm) to W700 without any structural problems.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)