11-18-2008

UK

4 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 1 of 4

W700 & nVidia Quadro FX 3700 Outputs

2008-11-18, 13:26 PM
I’m very close to purchasing a Planar SD2620W and a Lenovo W700.  The Lenovo is fitted with the nVidia Quadro FX 3700, which apparently has dual DVI capability.  However, does it have the dual sockets required by the Planar stereoscopic display? I am looking for a high specification solution to developing and displaying multidimensional Building Information Models. 

Any help which you can provide would be most welcome!

Bob Owen

Senior Research Fellow

University of Salford, UK
Options

32 Posts

08-28-2008

North Carolina

60 Signins

1057 Page Views

• Views: 1057
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: W700 & nVidia Quadro FX 3700 Outputs

2008-11-19, 3:50 AM

bobowen,

The W700 has 1 DVI output, 1 VGA, and 1 Display port.  The "Dual Link" DVI has to do with the resolution the DVI port can operate at.(it can do twice the normal resolution of DVI b/c it can use two data links at once, hence dual link)

According to the manual for the Planar SD2620W, each monitor can take DVI or VGA inputs so in theory you might be able to get it to work with one monitor running on the VGA output and the other on the DVI.  You need to find out if this will work, it potential might not b/c of timing issues.

Secondly, according to the manual the top monitor needs to be flipped, which they give you a special PCI card to do.  That card will definitely not work in a W700, (there are no PCI slots!) BUT the there is software than can flip the image.  That software might not work with your particular OS and application so you need to find out.

Call Planar and ask them both these questions, their tech support number is on their website.  If they say it can run with one VGA and one DVI and that your app will work with software flipping of the second monitor you should be good to go.

Message Edited by tdesaix on 11-18-2008 07:51 PM
Options

4 Posts

11-18-2008

UK

4 Signins

14 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2008-11-19, 8:29 AM

Thanks; I also got a reply from Mike at Sharper Image.  He said: The Lenovo W700 with the Quadro FX 3700 will work IF you purchase the "Stand Alone Mirror Flip Card", as we can not install the PCI card into your laptop (its made for a desktop). This costs $395 and the decription states: Stand alone box that performs mirror flip of DVI video. Use to mirror the image sent to the top display of any SD monitor. Comes with power adapter and international plugs. I presume this comes with suitable driver software but will check.

I need to be able to develop and display parametric Building Information Modelling (BIM) models using a variety of solutions: Digital Project (from CATIA), Bentley Architecture, Revit, Tekla, etc.

It is a pity that the W700 is not configurable to order outside of the USA (and, I'm told, even there only by certain resellers). I had wanted the second hard drive to be the solid state, with increased RAM and graphics accelerator, plus Vista Ultimate 64 - none of this was available to me in the UK. However, someone has now pointed me towards the new Dell 17" LCD 'E' series which offers all of these, even to us guys in uncivilised Europe!  Wow - just checked the fully loaded cost - around $10K in the UK versus the roughly $4,500 for the W700, as available (would be more like $6,500 fully loaded, I think). - Back to the W700.

Thanks for your help,

Bob

Options

4 Posts

11-18-2008

UK

4 Signins

14 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2009-03-05, 8:25 AM

Well, I went ahead and purchased the W700 (Type 2752-6PG) but am having difficulty driving a(ny) stereo display, as nVidia have apparently withdrawn the option for stereo interlacing from their driver selection set up.  I even went to the trouble of taking the W700 to the experts at Inition in London and they couldn't get it to work.  I would have purchased a DepthQ WXGA on the spot!

Does anyone (including IBM/ Lenovo) have either a workaround (e.g. an old driver set which works with the FX3700M card) or news as to when/ if nVidia will change their minds about supporting their own top end mobile graphics card.  It seems particularly strange that they even have a CATIA setting for the card but can't support stereo (especially when older cards do).

This is really annoying as I present to hundreds of construction industry people, including architects and consulting engineers, many of whom would willingly lash out for a W700/ DepthQ solution, if I could only show them stereoscopic images.

Any help welcome,

Regards, Bob (UK)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete