Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

05-02-2009

Cambridge, MA

8 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 11 of 56

Re: W700 - keyboard flex / hollow sounds

2009-05-18, 16:58 PM

I actually received my new w700 on Friday and it has the same issues.  The keyboard is very flexy and hollow sounding in some places.  It seems like it could use additional support around th P and backspace, near the period, and over near the s and the 2. 

If I call Lenovo about this and they fix it will they really give me an older model keyboard that is more solid or do they replace it with another of these junky keyboards? 

Do you have to send in your laptop?  can you just order a better kyboard or something?

Really, I've been fairly pleased with my laptop except for this cheap feeling, mushy keyboard. The keyboard is the single major flaw that makes me a bit upset about the money I just spent on this.

Options

101 Posts

11-02-2008

California

263 Signins

1610 Page Views

• Views: 1610
  • Message 12 of 56

2009-05-18, 18:06 PM

The keyboard replacement is very simple. A tech can do it in 15 minutes. The newer keyboards are generally disliked by Thinkpad enthusiasts because of unevenness, flex, and noise.

Here's the list of issues for the W700:

1. Problem-- Keyboard uneven, flexy, noisy- has a mesh backing 

Solution--  Replace with previous generation keyboard that is solid backed

2. Problem-- CF Card Reader (earlier releases) runs at USB 1.0 speeds, takes an hour+ to download a 4GB CF card

Solution--  A newer version of the CF card option fixes the problem- now takes 2 minutes to download same card

3. Problem-- No digital audio in or out on base unit, no audio output over DisplayPort, no way to watch DVD's or  BluRays     AND listen to the multichannel digital audio tracks, must use crappy stereophone

jack or even worse bulletin speakers instead.

Solution-- Purchase the mini-dock for $275, it has a SPDIF output, still no inputs though

4. Problem-- Can't record what you hear digitally as this capability has been disabled in the notebook

Solution--  Purchase an ExpressCard Audio option-- more money, more cables, more hassle,

but there are no other options

Problem #3 is by the far biggest concern to me as not being able to use the DisplayPort to carry video AND audio really cripples the product's ability to be used with modern presentation equipment or home theaters.

Other that these things the W700 is a superb product. I expect all of these issues will be addressed in future models.

Options

63 Posts

05-02-2009

europe

100 Signins

1028 Page Views

• Views: 1028
  • Message 13 of 56

2009-05-20, 11:32 AM

UPDATE 3_Engineer from IBM just left. He basically brought an identical keyboard and opened up the machine to check if there was any defect. All seemed to be in place, when he removed the keyboard other than being very flexy, he noticed there is only one screw holding it in place (while in the T series keyboard for example there is a total of 5 screws).

I was told that it would be difficult to get an older version, but I am going to try and call again and see if they can replace it with the previous generation one as suggested by wheadley.

By the way I just turned the machine on and there's a subtle whistle coming from the hard drives, not sure if this was there before or if my imagination is playing tricks on me.

I was hoping to resolve this today, still think its simply unnacceptable to put a keyboard with this quality in a 3 K machine.

Thinkpad W700 / Quad Core Extreme QX9300 / QUADRO FX 3700M / 8 GB DDR3 / Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD / Hitachi 160GB HDD / Intel Turbo Memory 2 GB / Windows 7 64-bit
Options

101 Posts

11-02-2008

California

263 Signins

1610 Page Views

• Views: 1610
  • Message 14 of 56

2009-05-20, 16:56 PM

Be careful of an IBM/Lenovo tech that says there are five screws holding the keyboard in place-- even in older models. This is false. Thinkpads use a range of keyboards over and over again in various models-- almost ALL use just one screw to hold it in place. The problem has nothing to do with the screws. Previous generation keyboards have a solid metal backing and the new ones don't. That is the reason why many people feel they suck in the newer models. Note that the specific model plays a big role. We have X200T units with the new keyboard and because of it's smaller frame size their is no decernable flex or other negative issues with those models at all. On the larger models with 15 or 17" screens there is more open space under the keyboards and that's where the problems are noticed.

I hear no whistling or other odd noises coming from my W700-- the product is quiet, never runs hot, and overall is simply the best notebook I have ever owned (and I've owned more than a few higher end units).

Options

63 Posts

05-02-2009

europe

100 Signins

1028 Page Views

• Message 15 of 56

2009-05-20, 18:50 PM

sorry I didn't mean screws, maybe "rivets" ? Theyre small metal cilindrical pieces on the back of the keyboard. He had another model of keyboard and it had 5 of them while the W700 has one in the centre.

IBM is supposed to contact me soon, but I was supposed to leave the country on friday, can I request the keyboard in september, will the warranty cover it ?

As for the whistle I'm quite concerned, I'm pretty sure it was not doing this before the engineer opened up the notebook so I'm not sure what to do about it.

Thinkpad W700 / Quad Core Extreme QX9300 / QUADRO FX 3700M / 8 GB DDR3 / Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD / Hitachi 160GB HDD / Intel Turbo Memory 2 GB / Windows 7 64-bit
Options

8 Posts

05-20-2009

Lytham St.Annes, England.

12 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 16 of 56

2009-05-21, 7:31 AM
Hi Sampei, I am about to buy a w700ds. Having read your problems with the keyboard I am having second thoughts. Did you get it sorted out or are you now away and waiting till september?
Options

63 Posts

05-02-2009

europe

100 Signins

1028 Page Views

• Message 17 of 56

2009-05-21, 9:59 AM

Hi GCAL

after yesterday's failed attempt to sort the problem, an engineer should be here in the next couple of hours with a new keyboard. I'm hoping it's the previous generation solid back one wheadley was talking about. I will let you know today how this goes.

I would just like to point out to you that this is a minor flaw in the machine, yes it can be a bit annoying as typing gets a bit noisy and the flex in the left side of the keyboard feels funny. Despite this, the machine is a fantastic piece of hardware, solid and quiet (the whistle I mentioned before is gone after a defrag) and well worth the money.

I'm particularly happy with it's raw power, the screen is good (could be better to be honest, DELL's Precision has an amazing LED back lit screen) and the wacom digitizer is a fantastic bonus. Really helpfull for my DCC work.

Also the customer support from IBM and Lenovo is first class so far, they've been helpfull and fast beyond any expectation.

By the way if you get one, do not get the ThinkPlus warranty 3 years extension yet, because it's still not available as the machine is quite new in the UK. The service will be available in June I've been told.

Options

63 Posts

05-02-2009

europe

100 Signins

1028 Page Views

• Message 18 of 56

2009-05-21, 13:37 PM

UPDATE 4_Second Lenovo Engineer came today, but instead of a keyboard he brought the bezel (top plastic part which surrounds keyboard and speakers). I really could not believe it and neither could he.

Apparently the help desk has been moved to Croatia and there's a lot of misunderstanding going on.

They just called me and told me that they cannot change a part that was not originally included in the purchase. In this case they only can send me spare parts for the W700. However I have been told that they could help me if I had a part number for the part I wanted. Unfortunately I'm leaving the UK for the summer so I will have to wait till september to try and get this sorted out.

Wheadley as a favour could you please give me the part number for the right keyboard since you've got it all sorted ? And what do you mean with "previous generation" keyboard when the W700 is a recent machine ? When I tried explaining this on the phone, the worker said he knew not of any previous generation W700.

This thread should be merged with the other ones regarding the flexy keyboard and added to the stickies.

Options

63 Posts

05-02-2009

europe

100 Signins

1028 Page Views

• Message 19 of 56

2009-05-21, 13:59 PM

from the old keyboard thread I found that the correct part number for the solid back keyboard is:

model 42T3109

Wheadley can you confirm this ?

thanks in advance

Options

8 Posts

05-20-2009

Lytham St.Annes, England.

12 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 20 of 56

2009-05-21, 17:49 PM

Hi Sampei

Well seems you are certainly still having some issues.  I tried calling lenovo in the UK to ask the question about keyboards etc, but just got the good old "your call is important to us" and all that rubbish. I hung on for half an hour and nobody answered - and that is the Sales line !!!

So I must admit that makes me a bit concerned that if they cannot be bothered to answer the Sales line then what must the after sales be like!  However, you are also in the UK and seem pretty clear that the after sales is good.

I just read your update and that does not look good.  Please keep this thread updated. You have the part number now so hopefully it will be sorted.

Cheers, Mike 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms