Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

101 Posts

11-02-2008

California

263 Signins

1610 Page Views

• Views: 1610
  • Message 21 of 56

Re: W700 - keyboard flex / hollow sounds

2009-05-21, 18:33 PM
Yes, that part number looks correct. It fits the W700, W500 and other models-- I believe it was once used for the T61 models.
Options

8 Posts

05-20-2009

Lytham St.Annes, England.

12 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 22 of 56

2009-05-22, 14:06 PM

Keyboard issue: 

Hi. I have been discussing the keyboard issue with IBM and they told me that in the UK they do not have knowledge of it! However, they were very interested and I pointed them to this forum. The girl I was discussing ti with then went and got a W700 and tried it out. She confirmed that there was no problem with any hollow sound or flexibility around the P key. So maybe Lenovo have fixed it. As I am about to order one I will let you know! 

I also asked if the Digitizer can be used to annotate PDF files  and if using Win XP will still allow use of drag and drop onto the 2nd display. The 2nd display will work fine with XP in a simialr way as it does with Vista (Screen spanning) but the digitizer is yet to be confirmed.

Options

101 Posts

11-02-2008

California

263 Signins

1610 Page Views

• Message 23 of 56

2009-05-22, 19:18 PM

When I was resolving my keyboard issue months ago the rep I was working with stated that they had implemented a fix for this issue by adding some additional internal support for models that had issues with keyboard flex. I would speculate that the UK machines may include this fix. But I would never take the word of a phone rep. For one thing many of them haven't worked there all that long and probably have no real idea what anyone is talking about with respect to the keyboard flex issue and may not even know what a proper Thinkpad typing experience is supposed to feel like in the first place. In fact I would bet on it.

Bottom-line: before my keyboard was replaced it had serious flexing around the W,E,R,S,D and 0,P,[,PgUp areas, after the keyboard was replaced there simply was no flex, no odd sounds, and no uneveness across the keyboard while typing.

For many people who have owned less expensive notebooks this issue is moot, they have never used a high-end machine and have no idea what a quality keyboard or typing experience feels like. Their opinions are therefore less than useful when dealing with this issue. Prediction-- one day Lenovo will return to the original keyboard solid-backed design after having to replace too many of these new lighter, cheaper, and less solid keyboards.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 24 of 56

2009-05-22, 20:28 PM

Sampei,

42T3109 is a manufacturing part number for an English language (US) keyboard which has the heavier backing plate and is used on T61 and earlier systems.   It is not an orderable part number. The  orderable FRU or service part number is 42T3143.

You might elect to specify this part and see if service will oblidge you.  If that part is not available or backordered, 42T3209 or 42T3273 will interchange and also offer the same backing plate.

Sorry to hear that this situation has erroded your satisfaction with the product.

Mark

Options

80 Posts

05-15-2009

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

109 Signins

590 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 590
  • Message 25 of 56

2009-05-23, 1:49 AM

Is there a similar part number for a solid backed UK keyboard?  I'd have to echo what others have said - it seems strange to have such a comparatively substandard keyboard on such a high end machine.  Those of us who have paid for the top spec machines, are doing so because we want the best, and this new style flexy keyboard is definitely not worth any weight saving it may have made,  At 3+ kilos, who really cares about another 200g.

I'm waiting to see how the people further down the line get sorted out before making a similar call myself.

Options

101 Posts

11-02-2008

California

263 Signins

1610 Page Views

• Message 26 of 56

2009-05-23, 21:45 PM

Unfortunately the intersection between the engineers and designers at Lenovo, who do an indispiutably excellent job of creating these machines, and the suits at Lenovo who are looking for ever greater profits and lowered costs, make situations like this keyboard issue possible.

Thinkpad keyboards are legendary. To cheapen the typing experience to a level where your die-hard customers actually notice, and then to try to prove empirically that the newer keyboards are actually superior is not going to make it to the great executive decisions hall of fame. Can you imagine Porsche chepening the car's driving experience and then telling you it was done to save a few extra pounds of weight?

Apparently GM and Chrysler thought they could get away with producing sub-standard products forever, trading off their glory days from decades past. As it turns out they were very wrong about that.

Options

8 Posts

05-20-2009

Lytham St.Annes, England.

12 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 27 of 56

2009-05-23, 22:47 PM

Well I took the decision to buy. Lenovo UK assure me the issue is no longer an issue. I will fond out next Thursday. I also got the insurance policy of a signed off mail from IBM stating if there are any issues at all they will guarantee to sort it.

GM and Chrysler - yes you are right - they ended up getting taken over by Fiat of all companies!  Well GM anyway and that is incredible enough! I would not have minded if it had been Rover but they don't exist anymore!  . Accountant/Bankers  will always have the last say I am afraid. Even when they fail so fantastically as with the banking sector.

If people get the w700 and complain about the keyboard and IBM have to start making call after call to site to try and sort it then you can rest assured the accountants will not like that either and they will release the funds to get the design altered. I will let you know system 11 how I get on. Sampei made it clear that the machine was great apart from this issue and Lenovo UK made it clear that it was sorted. 

Options

80 Posts

05-15-2009

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

109 Signins

590 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 590
  • Message 28 of 56

2009-05-24, 1:29 AM

Well I got mine just this week, but it was manufactured in late November, you might get lucky.  Easy to test, just hit each key along the qwerty line and if it's like mine (and others) you'll hear an echoed thunk off P.  I also have flex on the left side but it's quite minor, and the sound doesn't change, the P area is 20 times worse.

Maybe I got a lemon, I always seem to get the bad one in any batch of anything..  I've got quite a lot of bleed from the bottom of the screen and the BR drive is misbehaving badly (to the point where I've pulled it out and left it out).

Message Edited by system11 on 05-23-2009 06:31 PM
Options

3 Posts

05-28-2009

Ottawa, Canada

18 Signins

133 Page Views

• Views: 133
  • Message 29 of 56

2009-05-28, 22:10 PM

Good Day,

I have a W500 4058CTO (with a 42T3937 keyboard) laptop manufactured 04/2009 which is supposed to have the "flex" problem fixed. The left side of the keyboard is still "bendy" and you can watch it move when you type. 

I am supposed to receive a new keyboard (FRU 42T3143) on Monday to see if it fixes the problem, but my understanding is both keyboards should work because as of March Lenovo changed their manufacturing to allow for more left side support. 

Anyone else in my boat?

Options

101 Posts

11-02-2008

California

263 Signins

1610 Page Views

• Message 30 of 56

2009-05-29, 21:00 PM

The mesh backed keyboards will flex and produce a subpar typing experience (and in my case a sore finger on my left hand). The solid backed older versions don't flex and typing on them is great. Lenovo claims to have fised the flex but they also claimed that there was no issue with flexing keyboards in the first place. Depends upon who you talk to at Lenovo I guess.

People that know keyboards and love Thinkpads mostly think the new keyboards suck. Others are used to crappy keyboards and never noticed. I have always said this will cost Lenovo some business from their most devoted customers if they continue to cheapen their products to shave a few pennies (or grams) off at the expense of basic quality.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)