Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

101 Posts

11-02-2008

California

263 Signins

1610 Page Views

• Views: 1610
  • Message 41 of 56

Re: W700 - keyboard flex / hollow sounds

2009-06-27, 20:13 PM

The only way to make an inherently unstable and flexible keyboard stable would be to support it with a solid back panel-- which is exactly what the original keyboards did. The new keyboards have a flimsy meshed and plastic-film back support. They will never be as stable or as pleasurable to type on. Either the machine has a full back panel under the flexible keyboard or the keyboard itself is manufactured with an integrated back panel-- which allows it to sit stably in an open-framed design like the W700/500.

I believe that you can get the T61p keyboard with solid back if you try hard enough-- but normal channels at Lenovo are told the two models-- solid-backed and flexible are identical-- which is not so-- but that makes it near impossible to explain the issue to them as they can only rely on the information Lenovo gives them-- which is that the new keyboards are the same as the old ones-- just lighter weight. Again-- false-- but very hard to get past.

Options

12 Posts

06-04-2009

Taiwan

42 Signins

333 Page Views

• Views: 333
  • Message 42 of 56

2009-06-28, 1:49 AM
I have decided to bypass customer service all together and just find the T61 keyboards online. Maybe I will even get a couple of them because the T61 keyboards will be harder and harder to find later on.
Options

19 Posts

06-17-2009

Atlanta

26 Signins

292 Page Views

• Views: 292
  • Message 43 of 56

2009-06-28, 2:33 AM

quote from wheadley:

"I believe that you can get the T61p keyboard with solid back if you try hard enough-- but normal channels at Lenovo are told the two models-- solid-backed and flexible are identical-- which is not so-- but that makes it near impossible to explain the issue to them as they can only rely on the information Lenovo gives them-- which is that the new keyboards are the same as the old ones-- just lighter weight. Again-- false-- but very hard to get past."

Honestly, I bet they're all told to act ignorant and play it stupid. They probably say "just tell them its the same, and if they argue with that, tell them we already fixed it". They dont want to admit there's a problem because then people wouldn't stop demanding a replacement. Or maybe they are actually ignorant, which wouldnt be surprising because Lenovo is just terrible. Anyway I just kinda wanted to post again to keep the thread going so maybe lenovo has a change of heart and decides to look after their customers concerns.

Options

101 Posts

11-02-2008

California

263 Signins

1610 Page Views

• Message 44 of 56

2009-06-28, 21:55 PM

The best strategy for corporations that have huge customer service issues is to train the reps to believe that the customers complaining about this thing or that are either incorrect or misinformed. I do not think they're lying, I think it is more useful to have your CS reps be told something false that they can then believe themselves is true. It makes for a much more effective denial when you really believe a thing is so even if it is in fact not. Many customer service departments deliberatly prevent their reps from using email with their customers while on the phone-- and often the reason is they do not want information emailed directly to the reps that contradicts what they are told by their supervisors or managers. It is what it is.

How many times has anyone reported a problem that has been widely recognized as a real issue online in forums and such, only to be told by a national CS rep that this is the very first time they had ever heard of such an issue? I've lost count. Enterprises often use the term "compartmentalization" for this strategy. It's nearly always about money-- short-term .

Options

63 Posts

05-02-2009

europe

100 Signins

1028 Page Views

• Views: 1028
  • Message 45 of 56

2009-09-11, 11:38 AM

update ! finally phoned IBM customer support and learned IBM cannot send me different keyboard from the W700's own one but rather fix it. Since the keyboard is not really broken (as I explained to the person on the other line) I doubt the engineer will be able to do anything and I'm pretty sure I'lll be forced to buy the T61 keyboard that's supposed to solve this problem.

Also been having another problem with one of the hard drives, apparently the second hard drive keeps having errors and erasing itself every couple of months, luckily I've gone for RAID 1 so before any data is lost the faulty hard drive basically recovers and reconstructs the RAID 1 volume with the healthy one withouth any real harm done. Still a pain, so IBM is going to send me a diagnostic disk to verify the state of the hard drive and send me a new one, not quite sure how that works but I guess Ill wait and see.

Thinkpad W700 / Quad Core Extreme QX9300 / QUADRO FX 3700M / 8 GB DDR3 / Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD / Hitachi 160GB HDD / Intel Turbo Memory 2 GB / Windows 7 64-bit
Options

63 Posts

05-02-2009

europe

100 Signins

1028 Page Views

• Message 46 of 56

2009-09-15, 11:18 AM

just got a phone call from IBM, engineer will be here on thursday with new keyboard and new hard drives, fingers crossed !

Thinkpad W700 / Quad Core Extreme QX9300 / QUADRO FX 3700M / 8 GB DDR3 / Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD / Hitachi 160GB HDD / Intel Turbo Memory 2 GB / Windows 7 64-bit
Options

81 Posts

06-21-2009

Mass, USA

246 Signins

1984 Page Views

• Views: 1984
  • Message 47 of 56

2009-09-15, 22:52 PM

Hmm.. on a similar note I've been noticing my Touchpad is starting to 'sink'.

Sometimes when I touch it it will depress down a bit and make a 'clunk' sound as if it was a mouse button. 

I don't have the Wacom pad so I'd expect my unit to be a little more rigid..?

Too early to do anything about it though.

Options

63 Posts

05-02-2009

europe

100 Signins

1028 Page Views

• Message 48 of 56

2009-09-16, 12:44 PM

keyboard and hard drive have arrived this morning, just finished installing them.

The solid back keyboard really does make a huge difference from the flexy one, now typing is actually a pleasent experience and it doesnt "sink" anymore. It doesn't feel cheap like the old one, but delivers the quality you would expect from a 3K machine. Hard-drive should be fine, at the moment its rebuilding the RAID 1 volume.

Now I can say I'm really happy with this machine which is proving itself as an extremely reliable and efficient workstation (the wacom tablet is amongst the most brilliant and usefull feaTures ever implemented in a notebook). So far Vista hasn't given me any problems either.

Another thing I have to give credit Lenovo for is the customer service which, hands down, has proven to be very fast and reliable. Of course some mistakes were made but overall the service really does work and strives for the customer's satisfaction, I really can't complain about the service.

Again thanks for all the help and my advice to anyone who bought the W700 is get the awfull keyboard change because it will make the machine the ultimate portable workstation.

Options

101 Posts

11-02-2008

California

263 Signins

1610 Page Views

• Message 49 of 56

2009-09-18, 22:23 PM

I agree. The W700 with the standard (and frankly terrible) flexy keyboard really disappointed with respect to typing anything on it, while adding the solid-backed keyboard returns the machine to Thinkpad quality standards.

My understanding is that soon Lenovo will only be using the craptastic version and is phasing out the solid-backed keyboard. That would be a huge mistake. I hope they don't make it.

Options

1 Posts

11-17-2009

North Carolina

1 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 50 of 56

2009-11-17, 18:37 PM

I called tech support and found that the three female representatives I spoke with totally unaware of the problem but were willing to try to solve the issue.  Apparently there are three keyboards listed to replace the MIGR-70558 or FRU-42T3937 ( the number used to send for a replacement).  Unfortunately, tech support has no control over listed parts and cannot specify which of the three keyboards to send; so what I did was remove the keyboard and located the FRU number so that the same keyboard would not be sent back to be.  Today I received the replacement keyboard:  FRU-42T3143;  the difference is night and day primarily because the back plate supporting the keypad is far, far more ridgid, resulting in a more natural feel to the touch.  In fact, the installation diagrams that came with the keyboard are for the Lenovo R60, T60, and Z60 models.  The problem has effectively been resolved.  I hope this helps someone.:smileyhappy:

Good luck!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)