02-09-2011

United States

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 13

W701ds Nvidia display driver crashes frequently

2011-02-09, 15:55 PM

Hello, I have a W701ds with 16gb of ram running Win7 Pro 64bit.  Using preinstalled OS.  My display driver keeps crashing (about once an hour or so) with an error message that the display driver recovered from an error.  The screen goes black for a few seconds and then returns.  This generally happens when I am watching a video or working in Powerpoint, Adobe After Effects, etc.  All drivers are up to date.  Has anyone else experienced this problem, and do you have any recommendations as to how I can resolve this?  Thanks all.

Options

23 Posts

07-17-2010

United Kingdom

566 Signins

1141 Page Views

• Views: 1141
  • Message 2 of 13

Re: W701ds Nvidia display driver crashes frequently

2011-02-14, 17:46 PM

I recommend reverting to video driver version 189.55 - this is the most recent rock stable one.

All 2xx series I've tried had stability issues with W701

Options

395 Posts

08-03-2009

UK

1342 Signins

9464 Page Views

• Views: 9464
  • Message 3 of 13

2011-02-14, 19:58 PM

See my thread in the NVIDIA Forums: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=157614&view=findpost&p=1188283

My W701 with FX 3800M has been completely stable with 257.38 (Lenovo 6md636ww) for over two weeks now.

Options

1 Posts

05-19-2011

Boston, MA

9 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 4 of 13

2011-05-25, 11:31 AM

Problem resolved - W701  WIN7 (64)  -  Nvidia FX 2800M    6md640ww.exe (Lenovo provided Nvidia driver installer)   Driver Date: 1/7/2011  Ver: 8.17.12.6658

With more than a dozen case number over several months for this same issue, a replaced mother board and Nvidia 2800M card, and after a clean install of the OS, my W701 was crashing again in hours after this exercise in futility. Symptoms included: screen freezes, flickering screens, half grey / half vibrating, all black, and many video freezes and recoveries (msg: The Nvidia driver has recovered from a failure) ...  The last Nvidia drive on their download site as of May 2011 caused my PC to blue screen.

I read the Nvidia forums the mobile powermizer being the culprit - but there are no mobile settings on any of the Nvidia Control Panels I had reinstalled. I called Nvidia and was referred right back to Lenovo. You waste time telling the first level agent that the video is locking up and they guess at possible solutions, check the old case numbers, then transfer the caller to the Atlanta support center for dispatching of replacement parts or onsite tech.  In my experience, most of the agents I encountered are trained that hardware replacement is the answer after several calls on the same issue. During my last call, the Lenovo agent insisted that he was sending a tech out with a new MB. When told I did that already, and did not want this option, he still insisted with a story about a batch of bad motherboards.... I ended that call and called again, and again until I found someone there who would help. What a shame there is little to no brain trust and so much waste of time and money for all involved.

After investing thousands of dollars on what should be a superior PC, my job and yours is not suppose to be trouble shooting Lenovo's and Nvidia's equipment. 

After reading the forums, I felt that the Powermizer switching from full to reduced power was likely the fault and I wanted to find the setting that was not available in any of the Nvidia control panels I had loaded.   I called Lenovo  again looking for assistance as to where the powermizer setting could be found or to request that they call Nvidia to ask the same.  My agent told me his   supervisor bought the W701 and had these issues also.  After checking with the supervisor, the agent provided me with a Lenovo version of the drivers for the graphics card; problem solved.

It has been over a week without a crash, lockup or even a flicker. My record before was several hours.

If you are Lenovo, I hope you understand the tremendous expense and waste for your organization’s and your customers’ resources.  Just own the problem until you fix it.

Options

395 Posts

08-03-2009

UK

1342 Signins

9464 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2011-05-25, 14:10 PM

wrote:

Problem resolved - W701  WIN7 (64)  -  Nvidia FX 2800M    6md640ww.exe (Lenovo provided Nvidia driver installer)   Driver Date: 1/7/2011  Ver: 8.17.12.6658

With more than a dozen case number over several months for this same issue, a replaced mother board and Nvidia 2800M card, and after a clean install of the OS, my W701 was crashing again in hours after this exercise in futility. Symptoms included: screen freezes, flickering screens, half grey / half vibrating, all black, and many video freezes and recoveries (msg: The Nvidia driver has recovered from a failure) ...  The last Nvidia drive on their download site as of May 2011 caused my PC to blue screen.

I read the Nvidia forums the mobile powermizer being the culprit - but there are no mobile settings on any of the Nvidia Control Panels I had reinstalled. I called Nvidia and was referred right back to Lenovo. You waste time telling the first level agent that the video is locking up and they guess at possible solutions, check the old case numbers, then transfer the caller to the Atlanta support center for dispatching of replacement parts or onsite tech.  In my experience, most of the agents I encountered are trained that hardware replacement is the answer after several calls on the same issue. During my last call, the Lenovo agent insisted that he was sending a tech out with a new MB. When told I did that already, and did not want this option, he still insisted with a story about a batch of bad motherboards.... I ended that call and called again, and again until I found someone there who would help. What a shame there is little to no brain trust and so much waste of time and money for all involved.

After investing thousands of dollars on what should be a superior PC, my job and yours is not suppose to be trouble shooting Lenovo's and Nvidia's equipment. 

After reading the forums, I felt that the Powermizer switching from full to reduced power was likely the fault and I wanted to find the setting that was not available in any of the Nvidia control panels I had loaded.   I called Lenovo  again looking for assistance as to where the powermizer setting could be found or to request that they call Nvidia to ask the same.  My agent told me his   supervisor bought the W701 and had these issues also.  After checking with the supervisor, the agent provided me with a Lenovo version of the drivers for the graphics card; problem solved.

It has been over a week without a crash, lockup or even a flicker. My record before was several hours.

If you are Lenovo, I hope you understand the tremendous expense and waste for your organization’s and your customers’ resources.  Just own the problem until you fix it.

Unfortunately, 6md640ww crashed my W701, too, just like all the other 2xx.xx drivers. The only workaround that works on my machine with any 2xx.xx driver is to disable the PowerMizer. There're many third-party utilities that can do this and the one I use is the PowerMizer Manager: http://somemorebytes.com/wp/index.php/software/nvpmmanager/ . Yes, you do need to "Create PowerMizer" in the Windows registry first and then set it to disabled ("Fixed Performance Level"). There's more discussion here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W701-crash-problems/td-p/265780 .

Options

4 Posts

06-29-2011

Springfield, MA

29 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 6 of 13

2011-06-29, 15:06 PM

Has anyone received confirmation from Lenovo on this issue?  I have a W701 with the FX3800, and it seems to be more erradict lately.  Only the program that was active seems to lockup.  Now, I'll have to look into this PowerMizer thing.

Options

4 Posts

06-29-2011

Springfield, MA

29 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2011-08-29, 13:30 PM
still having this issue with latest drivers, 3 calls to Lenovo, 1 call to local dealer. Finally buying on-site tech support (was supposed to have it) very disappointing the amount of work I keep losing.
Options

4 Posts

06-29-2011

Springfield, MA

29 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2011-09-09, 13:36 PM
Motherboard replaced, driver crashed within 2 hours, now they'll replace the FX3800m and the fan. Depending on what level tech you get, the solutions are all over the map. Having an extra fan blow on the computer to keep the temp down appears to help, but is no solution. Very frustrating.
Options

4 Posts

06-29-2011

Springfield, MA

29 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 9 of 13

2012-02-23, 17:20 PM
Been a couple months since the video card was replaced. Happy to say I am ROCK solid now!! Absolutely zero display crashes even running heavy applications!
Options

395 Posts

08-03-2009

UK

1342 Signins

9464 Page Views

• Message 10 of 13

2012-02-23, 18:39 PM

wrote:
Been a couple months since the video card was replaced. Happy to say I am ROCK solid now!! Absolutely zero display crashes even running heavy applications!

Thank you! Can you kindly upload a screenshot of GPU-Z ( http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2101/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.5.9.html ) running on your W701?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms