Options

27 Posts

04-06-2016

Germany

103 Signins

467 Page Views

• Views: 467
  • Message 1 of 14

When actual products don't meet the marketing specs... (P50/P70)

2016-04-14, 8:41 AM

Dear ThinkPad P50/P70 owners,

as most of you are probably aware of the issues that ECC ram not being enabled and Raid option being unavailable, I wonder if this in fact means that the actual products don't meet the specs that are advertised.

I, for one, did not aware of these issues before the purchase, and took the information I read from marketing as facts. Only after the purchase have I realised that what I get isn't what was promised.

Best regards from Germany,

Moderator note: Comment removed which did not comply with the Forum Rules

Solved! See the solution
Options

41 Posts

03-09-2016

United States

187 Signins

751 Page Views

• Views: 751
  • Message 2 of 14

Re: When actual products don't meet the marketing specs... (P50/P70)

2016-04-14, 11:18 AM
LOL. Lenovo nevers advertises that ECC should work, same as DELL M7710. As I am aware of, the ECC actually works even though AIDA's detection says no. It is something related to INTEL and BOIS setting and DELL is testing a beta BIOS to address this issue.

Regards to RAID, Lenovo makes it clear that you have to pay for the overpriced storage option to get this function. This is not the first machine that requires the RAID to work.

With all these said, I am just saying that this is not a law case to consider, in my opinion.

But, Lenovo, you should really give an official response on the ECC issue.
Options

2016-04-14, 13:46 PM

I dont think that this would get anywhere due to Lenovo stating that you do have to purchase the RAID option from the start, and while they do not state that this is not specifically disabled permanently if you do not purchase it initially, that is not anything they can be held accountable for as frustrating as it is.

The ECC memory feature however might be a gray area however, hard to tell since we appear to not be able to prove one way or the other than it is or is not working.

Options

180 Posts

10-26-2008

louisburg, nc

1068 Signins

5099 Page Views

• Views: 5099
  • Message 4 of 14

2016-04-14, 14:34 PM

You can get raid you just have to order it that way. The ecc memory may or may not be working but I don't think you have a case. If you order the machine with raid it performs properly.

Options

553 Posts

10-03-2011

Canada

2893 Signins

14770 Page Views

• Views: 14770
  • Message 5 of 14

2016-04-14, 15:31 PM

wrote:

I dont think that this would get anywhere due to Lenovo stating that you do have to purchase the RAID option from the start

At least in the online configurator (at least right now), RAID option forces to buy 2 identical drives. And it was the same in previous generations as well.

And even the Workstation dock information has been updated now, and it's said explicitly that 2x4K@60Hz isn't supported.

Overall, despite the personal disappointment, it's more like buying car with fewer options than in the top model advertised in a marketing booklet, and then complaining that the non-existing "Boso sound system with hyperdrive and 3D underwater display" does not work, and isn't easy/possible to install either. Hardly class action material :)

Options

27 Posts

04-06-2016

Germany

103 Signins

467 Page Views

• Views: 467
  • Message 6 of 14

2016-04-14, 16:26 PM

Thanks for the inputs folks.

Perhaps it was just me naively taking what's listed in a spec sheet as what the features come with the machine.

It would be very nice if Lenovo can very explicitly state what features are available only upon configuration during order. When I look at a spec sheet, like this one https://www.nofost.de/media/pdf/ThinkPad-P50-Datenbl-tter.pdf , I simply assume that RAID is a function that I can enable on my own.

If Lenovo has been clear on it, I would have no complaint.

ps. It would also be good if I could buy this feature as a post-purchase upgrade now, call it In-App purchase if you will. This isn't even a matter a cost. I wanted it, and wasn't aware of at all that I am not getting it.

Options

123 Posts

01-30-2016

Denmark

235 Signins

2142 Page Views

• Views: 2142
  • Message 7 of 14

2016-04-14, 16:50 PM

wrote:
LOL. Lenovo nevers advertises that ECC should work, same as DELL M7710. As I am aware of, the ECC actually works even though AIDA's detection says no.

Source? Even the wmic commands suggested do show that ECC is NOT enabled. Other utilities such as Speccy shows that ECC is NOT enabled. No, Lenovo never advertised that ECC should work. And as an absurd example they don't specify that the WLAN channel 5 or UDP on LAN will work. Now, this makes perfectly sense, right?

You buy ECC RAM and a CPU with an embedded ECC controller and you should have ECC support.

wrote:

You can get raid you just have to order it that way. The ecc memory may or may not be working but I don't think you have a case. If you order the machine with raid it performs properly.

I don't know jack about laws in US when it comes this this. But I can assure you that you do have a case in EU regarding the ECC, in particular since they allow you to select between ECC and non-ECC RAM during configuration. They charge extra for ECC RAM, so financially, you have paid for a functionality which they didn't state not to function.

This is one reason why people with ECC problems in their P50 should them in for repair, at least in the EU. In this way, you will give Lenovo or their service partners the opportunity to either solve or not solve the problem on a case-by-case basis, so that you know their stance on things before any case is further escalated.

Options

41 Posts

03-09-2016

United States

187 Signins

751 Page Views

• Views: 751
  • Message 8 of 14

2016-04-14, 17:01 PM
Inside DELL Technician told me that. Intel should be responsible for this, which you will know eventually.

I am not going to participate in this thread anymore in case there were assumptions that I am a Lenovo employee. I am just presenting facts or "rumors" I am aware of.

Cheers.
Options

123 Posts

01-30-2016

Denmark

235 Signins

2142 Page Views

• Views: 2142
  • Message 9 of 14

2016-04-14, 17:12 PM

Thank you dunjiadashen, much appreciated. Actually I was considering Dell, but ironically their configurator did not allow selecting ECC memory with Xeons when I last tried. :)

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 10 of 14

2016-04-21, 15:00 PM

All,

This has been investigated through Lenovo engineering.

In summary, some programs like Memtest86 V6.2.0 and V6.3.0 do not work properly on ThinkPad P70.  It is not unique on ThinkPad P70 and may likely be experienced on other products equipped with Intel Xeon processor E3 v5 processors.  (This seems to align with the comments from others in this thread regarding their experience with another PC manufacturer)

Lenovo development validated ECC is correctly working by:

Deliberately creating a 1 bit error on memory module and perform memory test

Confirm memory test program does not report error. (It means data is corrected by ECC)

If ECC is not working, memory test report error or system hang would occur.

Hopefully Intel will continue to work with leading suppliers of test programs to ensure they are up to date and able to properly detect ECC memory.

Thanks

Mark

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms