Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

200 Posts

06-14-2016

Sweden

389 Signins

2524 Page Views

• Views: 2524
  • Message 111 of 168

Re: When do we finally get a good screen? (P50 4K)

2016-08-26, 23:49 PM

One thing I just cant seem to understand, if Dell manage to get great 15" 4K panels from Sharp, how come Lenovo cant do the same? Or is it just a matter of Lenovo wanting matte screens only? And if so, is this what customers really want (everyone seem to bash the 4K P50 screens but Dells XPS15 4K screen gets lots of loving)? Could it be that the Dell 4K screens are just eye candy and that the Lenovo 4K is acually better?

Options

281 Posts

12-08-2008

United States of America

538 Signins

3089 Page Views

• Views: 3089
  • Message 112 of 168

2016-08-27, 2:02 AM

I am no expert, but I think something to say at the outset is that people's expectations are often proportional to how much they paid, and some people have paid near US$3k for their P50, while the XPS 15 is often around US$2k price point.

having said that, I think a crucial difference is whether you want the screen for media consumption or media creation. for media consumption people love brigthness and contrast. The XPS 15 is quite good in those two. I am in that camp.

A second camp is professional video/photo editors, which want color accuracy and color (white) temperatures. I have seen at least one serious reviewer complain the dell panel has an extreme white point/temperature which is impossible to correct.

I guess there is a third camp, that use their P50 for number crushing, coding, and for which mid-level brithness and color is perfectly OK, or that connect their P50 to external monitors. for this group a matte panel is 10x better than a glossy one.  I am in that camp also.

Options

200 Posts

06-14-2016

Sweden

389 Signins

2524 Page Views

• Views: 2524
  • Message 113 of 168

2016-08-27, 8:45 AM

Good summary. I'm definately in camp three and almost never in the other two. Just want the best possible laptop for Visual Studio and most of the time use external monitors. That said, i still want really good screens, both internal and external with plenty of brightness available if i need it, even when "just" coding. While the P50 screen would probably work, I find that a bad screen kind of dampens my spirit and makes webpages etc just look dull and booring. 

You can argue about the merits of 4K versus Full HD, but even the Full HD panel seem to suck with the P50 which just isnt accepteble 2016 in this price range.

Options

15 Posts

06-17-2016

United States of America

30 Signins

247 Page Views

• Views: 247
  • Message 114 of 168

2016-08-27, 16:36 PM

I have to say the colors are fantastic on the 4K display.  Having used both, actually performance wise the P50 4K is a tad better than the XPS in terms of gradients and response rate.  Also white and grey uniformity is far better on the Lenovo, but is offset by the brightness shift as everyone has mentioned.  The XPS 15 screen is definitely brighter, but on the few that I had, I always noticed a pinkish or greyish hue to one side of the screen on a white or grey background.

I would say I fall into all three categories and I am pretty content with the laptop, other than size and some minor lenovo software issues.

Options

27 Posts

10-03-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

98 Signins

774 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 774
  • Message 115 of 168

2016-10-04, 12:49 PM

My P50 is on order - 4k screen.

It's due to arrive in 2 weeks.

Having read through the thread it sounds as if the screen is perfectly acceptable when sitting in front of it - though not brilliant.  Frankly I can't envisage a use case for me personally where I will be working on it from the side or bobbing my head from side to side.

I sold my Dell XPS 15 unit in order to get the P50.  I absolutely hated the Dell screen.  It was bright, but the reflections were so bad it was almost unusable in all but a darkened room with no light sources.  My unit prior to that was a MacBook Pro 15 Retina, by far the worst pile of junk I have ever owned, with a toy keyboard and serious overheating issues.  The screen on the MBP was also awful.  Like the Dell it was bright, but the colours were all wrong.  The closest to white I could get was a blue tint.

Both the Dell and Apple screens also felt really flimsy - I am sure one drop when the screen was open would have killed either one.  I have grown to really dislike the thin laptops that claim workstation performance.   I now like 'em chunky :)

I have gone for the P50 because I want a solid and powerful laptop that will take some knocks and last for 4 years minimum. I'll post some images of the P50 screen when it arrives and also check on the batch date.

Options

2032 Posts

11-28-2007

Czech Republic

12108 Signins

124962 Page Views

• Views: 124962
  • Message 116 of 168

2016-10-04, 20:34 PM

wrote:

Having read through the thread it sounds as if the screen is perfectly acceptable when sitting in front of it - though not brilliant.  Frankly I can't envisage a use case for me personally where I will be working on it from the side or bobbing my head from side to side.

Do not imagine "from the side" as something like 160 degrees or such extreme angle. From the photos and user experience you will notice the poor quality with every centimeter you move your head away. It is much worse than any other cheap laptop display.

There is easy comparison method. Take an empty A4 sheet of paper and compare it side by side with full white background on the display. When you notice a difference in brightness uniformity or white color reproduction you know the display is ...

27 Posts

10-03-2016

98 Signins

774 Page Views

• Message 117 of 168

2016-10-04, 21:11 PM

I will check it when I get it, but in all honesty I don't move my head around that much or my body position when I am coding or working with my DAW.

Puppy, you seem to hate it so much and are so vociferous about it, I am having trouble believing you.  But I will certainly not keep it if it is as bad as you say.

Options

332 Posts

08-28-2013

United States of America

629 Signins

5798 Page Views

• Views: 5798
  • Message 118 of 168

2016-10-04, 22:54 PM

wrote:

wrote:

Do not imagine "from the side" as something like 160 degrees or such extreme angle. From the photos and user experience you will notice the poor quality with every centimeter you move your head away. It is much worse than any other cheap laptop display.

There is easy comparison method. Take an empty A4 sheet of paper and compare it side by side with full white background on the display. When you notice a difference in brightness uniformity or white color reproduction you know the display is ...

I find my angles are not bad at all did your's compare to this at all?

I own a Y510p SLI (retired), Yoga 2 Pro, X220T, P50 4K (sold), X1C5
Options

27 Posts

10-03-2016

98 Signins

774 Page Views

• Message 119 of 168

2016-10-04, 22:59 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I find my angles are not bad at all did youre's compare to this at all?

That screen looks beautiful.  I will be delighted if mine is as good.

What date was your screen manufactured?  Is it a later batch?

Options

332 Posts

08-28-2013

United States of America

629 Signins

5798 Page Views

• Views: 5798
  • Message 120 of 168

2016-10-04, 23:03 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I find my angles are not bad at all did youre's compare to this at all?

That screen looks beautiful.  I will be delighted if mine is as good.

What date was your screen manufactured?  Is it a later batch?

I don't know, does it say it in aida64?

I own a Y510p SLI (retired), Yoga 2 Pro, X220T, P50 4K (sold), X1C5
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)