Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

200 Posts

06-14-2016

Sweden

389 Signins

2524 Page Views

• Views: 2524
  • Message 141 of 168

Re: When do we finally get a good screen? (P50 4K)

2017-01-01, 14:08 PM

So, decided to take a plunge and just got my P50 with 4K display. Really wonderful computer that is great in most regards....besides the screen is really bad. Sorry, but owning a MacBook Pro and an Dell XPS myself, this screen just isn't good enough. Maybe if you do a lot of outdoor work and REALLY need the matte screen, but if not, I really can't see myself keeping this unit. Colors are great and in a pitch dark room the brightness might not be a problem, but there is something about this screen that just makes my eyes tired. Perhaps it is the horrible viewing angles, perhaps PWM is worse than tested in Notebookcheck but all in all, it just isn't good enough. Especially considering the price paid for it.

Switched back to my MBP 2015 now and even though that has actually has a worse screen than other 2015 MBP, I immediately feel that it is easier on my eyes, even as I type this. Such a shame since the P50 in most other regards is great :(

Note sure what alternatives there are, the P70 seem to have a better screen but is really to big to commute with daily. Dell usually have good screens, is that true also for their equivalent precision line? I really don't like Dell so it would be my last resort, but Lenovo has really dropped the ball here by putting such a bad panel in such a great laptop as the P50.

Options

200 Posts

06-14-2016

Sweden

389 Signins

2524 Page Views

• Message 142 of 168

2017-01-01, 17:23 PM

Must say one thing though that has me a bit puzzled. SOMETIMES I think this screen is actually not so bad, while other times I think it is really bad. Can't really explain this, it is like the graininess is sometimes much worse, and sometimes it is not so bad really. I have double and triple checked settings etc and I can swear they are the same. Of course current mode of the user etc could affect but not this much and I've never experienced this on any other laptops (of which I really have to many :D ). Anyone else having noticed something similar?

I've also noticed to my surprise that when I switch the resolution to FHD and disable the scaling, the screen does not look really sharp. Which it should do considering that FHD is exactly 1/4 of 4K.

I recall having seen some discussions abou the Intel iGPU causing blury fonts and the nvidia dGPU not, any truth to this and if so is it still relevant?

Edit:

Should mention that I today instlalled a new BIOS version that was pushed out by Lenovo Update software but I would be surprised if that really made the difference, as I hade the previously release BIOS version installed before that and considering that the P50 isn't exactly brand new, most fixes like those should already be implemented.

Options

123 Posts

01-30-2016

Denmark

235 Signins

2142 Page Views

• Views: 2142
  • Message 143 of 168

2017-01-01, 20:08 PM

I agree, improwise, it is somewhat hard on the eyes. I think it has to do with the narrow viewing angles, for example when reading text on a white background. There's no PWM applied at higher brightness settings (AFAIK, above 8 out of 15 and above). But it could be something else.

Thinking a bit further about this, all screen options on the P50 are actually bad choices in a professional setting:

1) The 4K display, while "wide gamut", does not cover aRGB, nor DCI-P3. What is the purpose of the wide gamut then, when the built in calibration toy obviously can't measure anything remotely wide gamut correctly, allowing me to create a color profile that can be used with photo editing tools.

2) With DCI-P3 or aRGB capable cameras, I have to re-sample to a smaller color gamut, thereby losing color information.

3) The 1080p options provide a color space is 58% of sRGB. I have seen what 59% sRGB looks like in a T460s. The colors are clearly muted compared to sRGB, and I'm currently not seeing what on earth Lenovo was thinking when considering this display option. Talk about loss of colors for photo editing.

However, I think this problem is dwarfed by quite a few palmrest issues, which currently seem to only be taken care of by "goodwill" and some hard working employees on this forum, which really deserve more credit from Lenovo than what they seem to be getting.

No, I wouldn't have bought a P50 today due to Lenovo's way of behavior, nor can I recommend it to anyone, but I am not sure if the competition is any better in this regard. So it is probably the least worst option :smileyhappy: . I certainly wouldn't opt for a current-gen MBP either.

Options

200 Posts

06-14-2016

Sweden

389 Signins

2524 Page Views

• Message 144 of 168

2017-01-01, 23:44 PM

tk-don wrote:However, I think this problem is dwarfed by quite a few palmrest issues, which currently seem to only be taken care of by "goodwill" and some hard working employees on this forum, which really deserve more credit from Lenovo than what they seem to be getting.

No, I wouldn't have bought a P50 today due to Lenovo's way of behavior, nor can I recommend it to anyone, but I am not sure if the competition is any better in this regard. So it is probably the least worst option :smileyhappy: . I certainly wouldn't opt for a current-gen MBP either.

Only problem is, what should you get then? Have tried Dell but their QC is the worst I've ever experienced and they can't even manage to get their own Dell Update utility to work. Have NEVER found any updates. Haven't tried a HP in a few years now, not sure what they offer. But having bought a Thinkpad for the first time in perhaps 10 years, I am positivly surprised by Lenovos support site, utilites etc. And I must admit that after a few changes, the 4K display isn't really so bad. That said, I am a coder and web developers, so color accuracy etc doesn't mean to much to me unless it is WAY OFF.

Options

200 Posts

06-14-2016

Sweden

389 Signins

2524 Page Views

• Message 145 of 168

2017-01-03, 18:51 PM

Switched back to my MBP again (which as mentioned above is actually due for a screen replacement) and my eye strain seem to be much less than with the P50. I've tried to adjust scaling etc to match between the screens but still, it seems like the MBP screen is just WAY better. Not sure if I can really adjust to living with the P50 screen, which is sad as I really like most else with the P50 :(

Options

200 Posts

06-14-2016

Sweden

389 Signins

2524 Page Views

• Message 146 of 168

2017-01-05, 12:26 PM

How grainy are your 4K screens? I know this a matte screen and that those are slightly grainy, but my 4K screen is really bad in that regards. Much worse than my 2 gaming laptops which also have matte screens. Not sure if it is the bad viewing angles that cause this.

On a comparission note, must say that both gaming laptops have better LCD screens than the P50, and this includes one with a TN panel optimized for speed than anything else (120 hz). Its embarassing that Lenovo dont't put in a decent screen in their most expensive computers :(

@Amy_Lenovo Whats Lenovos opinion on this? Does Lenovo really consider this to be acceptable for $3000+ laptops? Especially considering that the low end consumer products seem to have much better screens in many cases.

Options

200 Posts

06-14-2016

Sweden

389 Signins

2524 Page Views

• Message 147 of 168

2017-01-05, 21:11 PM

Have now contacted Lenovo about a refund. A shame really, so much is very good with the P50. Have really tried to convince myself that this is a good or at least OK screen but as soon as I glance over at my MBP (2015) that illusion is gone. And I am actually a bit offended by the fact that Lenovo does not seem to think that buyers of their most expensive laptops deserve better than this.

Should be noted that the colors on the 4K screen is actually really good, but with the very low brightness it doesn't do much for me. Also please note that I do not work with print production or similar so perfect color reproduction etc isn't important to me unless it is WAY off.

Unfortunately, I don't really know of any good alternatives. HPs and Dells workstations doesn't seem to have to impressive screens either even though I don't know if they are THIS bad. The P70 seem to have a better screen but carrying around a laptop that big just because Lenovo can't put a decent panel in the P50 just feels wrong...

The irony is that my MBP was actually scheduled for a LCD replacement as soon as I got the P50 (need to have one working laptop all times) but compared with the P50 the screen looks amazing :D

Options

200 Posts

06-14-2016

Sweden

389 Signins

2524 Page Views

• Message 148 of 168

2017-01-05, 22:22 PM

Has anyone considered replacing the panel on the P50 for something better? We all know there are plento of good LCD panels out there even though Lenovo has managed to not find any.

Options

2032 Posts

11-28-2007

Czech Republic

12108 Signins

124962 Page Views

• Views: 124962
  • Message 149 of 168

2017-01-06, 10:18 AM

wrote:

Has anyone considered replacing the panel on the P50 for something better? We all know there are plento of good LCD panels out there even though Lenovo has managed to not find any.

That's the only option if you want to stay with the P series. You can try Reddit forums.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/53il78/tried_to_buy_a_new_display_for_my_p50/

358 Posts

02-19-2015

United States of America

481 Signins

4653 Page Views

• Views: 4653
  • Message 150 of 168

2017-01-08, 3:08 AM

I'm not trying to sabotage this discussion about 4K screens, as I have a P50 with the 1080p non-touch screen, but I concur with Phil__C's statement about brightness.  Only once in the 100+ hours of using this laptop have I ever wished for a brighter screen--and that was in one seat in my grandparents house where the late afternoon winter sun shines directly in, blindingly bright on a sunny day (I've gone so far as to put sunglasses on inside in order to read the newspaper when sitting there). And I only have 250 nits--you folks have 300!

I almost never use my screen above "8" on the brightness scale of 0-15 (Win7, Fn+F6).  I can't speak definitively to colors, but they are better than on my T40. :)  I have absolutely no visible PWM (with eye or camera), and my viewing angles are good--the best I've ever seen on a laptop vertically.  They are not great sideways, as there is a definite drop in brightness from side to side(45° L to 45° R), but colors do stay constant.

@improwise: I personally can't imagine wanting a 4K screen in a 15" laptop for anything except the color reproduction.  My 2K (1080p) screen is crisp, with no graininess whatsoever.  Text is easy to read.  I have to scale down the resolution (1600x900) in order to play certain games, as otherwise the text in them is just too tiny to easily read.

-----------IBM T40: XP PRO SP3, 14.1" 4:3 display, 512MB DDR RAM, 40GB HDD, ThinkLight, DVD.
Lenovo Ideacentre H215: AMD Athlon II X2 215, 500GB HDD, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64-bit Win7, AMD 760G.
P50 i7, M2000M, 1x16GB RAM, 1080p, 512GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Backlight, 7Pro.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms